Thread: Where did you find redemption?

A Student

Where did you find redemption?

Okay so, I was reading the Inferno, and my teacher raved about how deep the theme of the possibility of redemption was. So, I read it.

I found a lot of different ideas: sin as an ultimate vice, the inevitability of God's will, etc. But I struggled to find redemption. I mean, I look at how Dante trekked through the various echleons of Hell, seeing the various punishments and the way those sinners suffered as the cause for redemption, while sticking to God's will would redeem your sins. Correct me if I'm wrong: that's just how I interpreted it.

Where did you find redemption in this epic?

A Student
    22 views. No one found redemption AT ALL?

The Divine Comedy

Ice,
    I would say redemption is more present in Purgatorio, the 2nd part of the Divine Comedy. Inferno is mostly about recognizing and renouncing sin. Purgatorio is where redemption is clearer. Paradiso is about accepting God's love and light.

However, you can see it in Inferno a little bit. In circles 2 through 5, Dante sees sins of incontinence (loss of control). He is sympathetic at the beginning, in part because he himself is most guilty of lust (for Beatrice) and in part because he is early on the journey and hasn't fully turned from sin. By circle 5, he expresses a desire to see the damned tortured, for which Virgil praises him. By circle 9, he actually attacks one of the people he sees there. So he gradually grows more hostile toward the sinners he sees (who, in death, are inseparable from the sins and incapable of redemption).

Also, Dante's journey begins on Good Friday and he emerges from Hell on Easter Sunday, so it's the same journey Christ took -- a journey to redeem the world.

Drama Queen
    One of the fascinating things I find in The Inferno is Dante places some of the earlier popes in torment--I mean they are deep in hell.

A Student
    Updating this post to say I have found forgiveness in Jesus Christ, the only son of God, and all of us can as well if we place faith in Him as our Lord and Savior and repent of our sins.