Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Bible verses

Beautiful Bible verses

I'm by no means religious, I can't see the purpose of turning something so personal as spirituality to something as political and tainted as the modern church. But that's neither here nor there. I am, however, somewhat of a believer, I don't know in what exactly but I guess that's the point. Anyway, I like the bible, but I haven't gotten around to reading it all and I'm not planning to any time soon. So I was kinda hoping you guys could direct me to some poetic, sublime, dark, and twisted bible verses. I've always found the language and symbolism of some bible verses very compelling, so if you guys could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Drama Queen
    try these: Psalms, Isaiah, and Job

Blog Entries
    My favorite is the Gospel of John.

Here from Chapter 1: 1-18

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made . 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe . 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born , not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. 15 John bare witness of him, and cried , saying , This was he of whom I spake , He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me. 16 And of his fulness have all we received , and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

www.markbastable.co.uk
    She kept these things and pondered them in her heart.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I understand your search for dark and twisted Bible verses. Genesis would be a good source for some of the oddest stories in the Bible. Exodus is probably the best story in the whole book. But if you want to understand the point of the whole book and seek its beauty, I suggest the gospels in this order: Mark, Matthew, Luke and John. Psalms and Proverbs are good as well.
    No damn cat, no damn cradle - Newt Honniker

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not exactly dark and twisted, but certainly a beautiful dedication to hope.

"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will tell those on his right hand, 'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in. 36I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.' "
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've always liked the imagery of Isaiah 14:12-14

12How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Job!!
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Cheers fellas! I'll read me some Job and Isaiah. Also, I actually love hymns, there some real beauty in those pieces of music, do you know any artist who preforms great hymns in a traditional and minimalistic manner?

Blog Entries
    "Jesus wept"............................gets me every time

Here's a wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_wept
    Last edited by tailor STATELY; 11-30-2009 at 03:43 PM.
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Drama Queen
    For me, Psalms 22: 13-15 is so dark and twisted and yet so compelling and sublime and poetic. It's incredible.

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh God, Job has some of the most stunningly moving passages I've ever read.

I'm only about halfway through, but Chapter Three is stunning!
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Quote Originally Posted by hampusforev View Post
    I'm by no means religious, I can't see the purpose of turning something so personal as spirituality to something as political and tainted as the modern church. But that's neither here nor there. I am, however, somewhat of a believer, I don't know in what exactly but I guess that's the point. Anyway, I like the bible, but I haven't gotten around to reading it all and I'm not planning to any time soon. So I was kinda hoping you guys could direct me to some poetic, sublime, dark, and twisted bible verses. I've always found the language and symbolism of some bible verses very compelling, so if you guys could help me out I'd really appreciate it.
    You mean that you are not intending to read the Bible in order to get powers? I thought that that was the purpose, and who cares what the text says, just read it. It is a book of the spirit.

I don't have any specific verses you should check out, but the Book of Ecclesiastes in the KJV is an exceptionally beautifully written book. Hemingway claimed it was the most beautiful book in the Bible. He pulled the title of TSAR right out of the first chapter.
    There is no good reason good can't triumph over evil, if only angels will get organized along the lines of the mafia.

-Kurt Vonnegut

Blog Entries
    Psalm 23 and the 100th Psalm have been considered among the best poetry. (Hardly dark and twisted, but...) Of course, you can't miss out on the wonderful contrasting in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.
    Oh yes, Psalm 1 - it's been said even Milton's paraphrase couldn't add much to the KJV rendering.

1 Corinthians 13, known as the love chapter, is quite direct for Paul and ends sublimely.

You mentioned hymns - there are SO many wonderful ones. But I'll just mention that Tennyson considered "Holy, Holy, Holy" the finest in the English language. And, in my opinion, it's a perfect marriage of words and music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast