Thread: Homer and Greek Tragedy

Homer and Greek Tragedy

Kind of bumped into these forums on accident when I typed "Dostoevsky Nabokov" into a google search but am certainly looking forward to coming here more often.

As regards this topic specifically though I'm looking for works (such as the Cambridge Companion series) that deal with the plot, structure, use of language, sygnificance of myth in both Homer and Greek Tragedy. I'm thinking Kitto's work but am wondering what other works on the subject of Homer or Greek Tragedy are particularly highly regarded. Basically I'm trying to understand what I'm reading on more than just a surface level and apply this knowledge to reading of other texts (poetry, novels, etc.). It needn't be text specifically, lectures might also be helpful. Any help you could give me would be most appreciated.

Cool The Teaching Company has some very good lectures ...

on Greek Mythology, the Iliad, and The Odyssey. The lectures are on dvd and given by Phds who are tops in their field. These can be purchased or, in my case, borrowed from a local library. Google The Teaching Company for a complete list of available lectures. Some are available on CD so you can listen to them while driving.

Cool See my response to first thread ...

about the Teaching Company.

Blog Entries
    I would recommend obtaining a copy of Richmond Lattimore's translation of the Iliad, not only for its excellent translation but for the superb introduction & glossary.
    docendo discimus

Quote Originally Posted by rightbackathugh View Post
    Kind of bumped into these forums on accident when I typed "Dostoevsky Nabokov" into a google search but am certainly looking forward to coming here more often.

As regards this topic specifically though I'm looking for works (such as the Cambridge Companion series) that deal with the plot, structure, use of language, sygnificance of myth in both Homer and Greek Tragedy. I'm thinking Kitto's work but am wondering what other works on the subject of Homer or Greek Tragedy are particularly highly regarded. Basically I'm trying to understand what I'm reading on more than just a surface level and apply this knowledge to reading of other texts (poetry, novels, etc.). It needn't be text specifically, lectures might also be helpful. Any help you could give me would be most appreciated.
    For lectures on the subjects search iTunes U (free) @
    http://www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/

Available at iTunes U and quite helpful is a series of lectures by H. Dreyfus of Stanford U dealing with polytheism and "world"—he's a big fan of Heidegger's Sein und Zeit but his understanding of it is very primitive.

I really recommend Donald Kagan's "Introduction to Ancient Greek History", a course also freely available on iTunes U, and if you prefer to watch it in you browser @ http://oyc.yale.edu/classics/introdu...greek-history/

Hope it helps, it's a wonderful subject.