Thread: "You don't need to be a saint to make pipkins/pots"???

"You don't need to be a saint to make pipkins/pots"???

I've always been confused by Razumhikin's line in Part four, chapter IV: While discussing how he has gained enough publishing experience to start a publishing company, he says:

"For nearly two years I’ve been scuttling about among the publishers, and now I know every detail of their business. You need not be a saint to make pots, believe me! And why, why should we let our chance slip!" (from the Garnett)

In another translation (the Coulson), he uses "pipkins" instead of "pots". I assume the change was made for a specific reason- maybe idiomatic clarity- but I still don't have any clue what it means.

mango do you have the full translation to see it in context?
    it may never try
    but when it does it sigh
    it is just that
    good
    it fly

A 'pipkin' was a small earthenware pot - the change is presumably a choice by the translator to have the term fit in with a specific setting.

I think his statement about not needing to be a saint to make pots is the equivalent of today's "It's not rocket science". He's seen how easy it is to run his own publishing company.

H

Thanks!

I hadn't thought of it in the simplicity context, mostly because I didn't see the connection between saints and pots. I just think it's a bit strange, because I couldn't find the idiom in any other context (maybe it was just an ephemeral Russian phrase?). Honestly, though, I'm perplexed by the change to pipkins- unless it's more related to the Russian- because it's quite ineffectual when the phrase seems odd anyway. It's just something that's bothered me for the past week because I can't find any context for it, and it keeps tormenting me.