Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: The Pros and Cons of Celibacy

Quote Originally Posted by Jermac View Post
    We must practice celibacy in order to conserve our precious bodily fluids.
    I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.

renegade
    You've kind of lost me here Martian. Mind you, there are some who believe that the Creator is in all of our bedrooms when we masturbate; I hope not.
    yes, the Creator is Life, meaning all that is alive. however, there is a part of Life that we cannot sense. to me, such a fear of God watching us masturbate is irrelevant. as i have said, God is no man, nor does God posses any human qualities. in other words, if the Creator cannot feel uncomfortable about what we do, then why should we fear the presence of the Creator, for it is everywhere and always.

If you stopped masturbating, would you merely replace it with some other form of self gratification?
    no, i already know that i don't need to. i see masturbation as an impulse that is based off a habit. it can easily be deleted.

I tend to think that at certain ages, our minds take us on a spiritual journey: we remember, we learn, we analyze things. Whatever age you are, this is what I think you are doing.
    now you've lost me... it seems like your saying i'm just walking around in la la land lol. could please specify what you mean by this... the quality and/or nature of my personal spiritual journey is proportional to my obedience to God. btw, i'm 21.

I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the release of a few fluids; 15 minutes out of your day won't interfer that much with your life.
    hmm... i dunno... losing blood is one thing. unnecessarily releasing your seed, something that has the power to spawn life... it seems like something that deserves extra thought and consideration.

Jermac We must practice celibacy in order to conserve our precious bodily fluids.
    yes, jermac... i'm interested too. how do you know this? did you read this? there has to be more to it than just that. it sounds like a good idea, but there has to be more to prop up this idea. if not hard evidence, at least an extensive theory.
    "the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."

Quote Originally Posted by martianwarrior View Post
    hmm... i dunno... losing blood is one thing. unnecessarily releasing your seed, something that has the power to spawn life... it seems like something that deserves extra thought and consideration.
    Like most men, I put lots of thought and consideration into that.

renegade
    i read the plot for this move you speak of... it doesn't seem to have any relevance to the discussion of celibacy. perhaps i'm wrong.
    "the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."

Quote Originally Posted by martianwarrior View Post
    i read the plot for this move you speak of... it doesn't seem to have any relevance to the discussion of celibacy. perhaps i'm wrong.
    One of the characters in the film is a US Air Force General who goes insane and starts ranting about denying women his essence and the importance of preserving bodily fluids. One of the all time classic scenes in cinema. You should check it out, it might give you some perspective.

renegade
    hmm... well, i'm not really into t.v. or movies. i'll give it a try though, thanks for the suggestion.

Okay guys, all this talk of not "giving a woman your essence"; you know, sex is a pretty limp package in itself with out "your essence" and that physical connection...Do you really feel that you are so irresistable to attract woman through the telepathy of a phallus?

renegade
    "essence" has less to do with telepathy or one's phallus and more to do with the nature of your soul, i believe. it's that untouchable "something" that others are attracted to.

Quote Originally Posted by soundofmusic View Post
    Okay guys, all this talk of not "giving a woman your essence"; you know, sex is a pretty limp package in itself with out "your essence" and that physical connection...Do you really feel that you are so irresistable to attract woman through the telepathy of a phallus?
    Yes.

For the record I was just quoting Dr. Strangelove. I think this whole debate is utterly crazy.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    The OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by soundofmusic View Post
    This is basically a continuation of the very popular thread: Benefits of Chastity and Celibacy. It has been removed from the Religious thread so that we may consider all of the mental, physical, and spiritual advantages and disadvantages of Celibacy in a mature and accepting fashion.

What is your opinion? Is a celibate lifestyle practical? Does it improve athletic performance? Does it make one more spiritual, closer to nature?
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    The OP:
    Well folks, I think this topic died in the water a year ago; but as for me, the celibate lifestyle has only made me irritable, fat and lazy. I now have to remind myself to shave my legs and my eyes are getting too bad to see the little hairs that tend to grow in strange places on the face. When I dye my hair, the mostly gray tones give it a strange orangish black effect; but not attractive like the guy on twilight. My sacrum is not properly exercised, so I have to use tons of motrin and a heating pad; but my frequent daily naps have caused me to burn out my heating pads. ....

Any Ideas

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rant on abstinence: If this doesn't fit into the celibacy subject or is too serious and rhetorical for a General Chat thread, then I'll delete it.

I don't buy into the whole abstinence thing at all. I live with an evangelical Christian family and my 22 year old step-sister wore one of those 'promise rings' for her mom in her teens. Not only that, but she's planning now to marry her boyfriend whom she's been dating for about four months. That's my big beef with the 'no sex before marriage' thing; it forces young adults into hasty marriages because of their natural urges and instincts. Marriage shouldn't be taken lightly and how would she know if she is even sexually compatible with this guy? Sex isn't everything in a relationship, but it's still a pretty big thing.

I do not believe in promiscuity or infidelity at all, but at the same time, I do think that the guy/girl who marry their first boyfriend/girlfriend right off the bat are kinda missing out on all of the varieties of relationships and experiences they can have.

While we're on the subject I will like to bring up one other negative side-effect of abstinence; that is, parents (especially religious parents) and schools that teach abstinence education who claim that abstinence is the only guaranteed solution to not becoming HIV-positive (which it is), but don't realize that an extremely few teens/young adults are going to be able to hold it in until marriage. And when they fail to hold it in, they practice unsafe sex because their parents/teachers didn't teach them about condoms and birth control pills, and they most likely end up with an unintended child at 17.

I'm not saying this theoretically, I know from actual experience. My other step-sister (who is 18) got pregnant when she was 17 because she had no idea that condoms were even necessary. The sin here is when parents/teachers put it into kids heads that since condoms aren't 100% guaranteed to prevent consumption, then they're useless. Now I love my little niece and she has been a blessing to this family, but my sister at 18 has just lost out on a big benefit and part of her young adult life, that is; being independent and free.

There are a suprisingly good deal of young people that I know who have had the same varying situations, and every time I hear about them it makes me cringe in both anger and disgust that they, through their own ignorance, have caused themselves to loose the benefits of being 18 and out in the world and will be stuck at home with a screaming child.

Concerning Masturbation

As a minor side-note: I have found in my experience, living as I said in an evangelical home, that parents who discourage masturbation are doing nothing but contradicting the teen's natural psychology and biological instincts. Masturbation, while being nothing to the actual experience of intercourse, is in fact the safest sex one can ever have, for it is only with yourself.

If I were a parent and I were to ever catch my kid masturbating, I would, (depending on if he was in the 11 to 14 range) sit him down later and tell him that it is okay to masturbate just as long as he does it in the privacy of his own room (or bathroom) and never does it in public. And that's, that.

Am I turning this into too much of a parenting thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Noisms View Post
    I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Blog Entries
    Celibacy blows, and if you say otherwise you're a liar.

Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it. W. Somerset Maugham English dramatist & novelist.

The same goes for celibacy.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What y'all said.
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast