Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: The Allure of Villainy

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Allure of Villainy

I want to hold my hand up and say I love villains. In practically any storytelling medium, the villain, if done well, always steals the show, and the heroes are often a little bland in comparison. So, the point of this thread (based heavily on the other thread about people who you admire) is to mention your favourite baddies, say why you like them, and if possible find a nice picture!

I've also put this in the General Chat section, so you don't have to limit yourself to just literary ne'er-do-wells!

Inspector Javert (Les Misérables)
    I love Javert... even in a cast of very powerful characters, the force of his personality is capable of exerting its shadow over the whole novel. He is also simultaneously a very complex character, and a very simple one in terms of motivation.

Milday de Winter (The Three Musketeers)
    I really like her for being an extremely capable woman in male-orientated world. Her villainy seems to know no bounds, particularly her final evil act which is so wonderfully twisted and yet completely unnecessary. She is, in many respects, completely free in a way that no one else in the novel manages.

Mephistopheles (Doctor Faustus)
    Faustus as a play is entirely a double-act, and in the figure of Mephistopheles you have the source of all the power in the play. He is highly intelligent, devious, manipulative, and he carefully controls his emotions. He is, without a doubt, Marlowe's greatest creation.

Loki (Old Norse literature in general)
    Yes, it was always a forgone conclusion that this particular fellow would end up on my list. And what's not to love? He is easily 10 times more intelligent than any other god, he has a very loose definition of personal shape and gender, he's incredibly witty, he's a powerful wizard and warrior, he revels in all forms of anarchy and destruction, and his betrayal leads to the destruction of heaven itself... what a guy!

Mr Saxon (Doctor Who)
    My one concession to telly-land. Mr Saxon is basically a modern Loki... he climbs up a pile of bodies to become Prime Minister of Great Britain, then slaughters his Cabinet and has the President of the US assasinated as a prelude to his enslavment of humanity. And all the while he displays this wonderful, manic energy, bouncing around making wise-cracks and awsome one-liners.

So, what about you?
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    The king of all villains - Iago!!!!

LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post

Mephistopheles (Doctor Faustus)
    Faustus as a play is entirely a double-act, and in the figure of Mephistopheles you have the source of all the power in the play. He is highly intelligent, devious, manipulative, and he carefully controls his emotions. He is, without a doubt, Marlowe's greatest creation.
    Mephistopheles, precisely what I wanted to describe, too! Personally, I would have advocated for Goethe's version over Marlowe's, but every almost representation of Dr. Faust/us proves worth pursuing and exploring!
    A pseudo-villain to contribute to the list, where innocence meets indulgence, where beauty meets sin, where virtue meets greed, Dorian Gray:

I have read the drama Doctor Faustus by Marlow and this was a wonderful book and I am amazed to see the poster of him here. I agree with you that villainous or monstrous characters make the drama or story really interesting and I like the characters of villainy in point of fact and I do not like the protagonist in the drama and my favorites are antagonists mostly, and the subject here really moved me.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

John Silver!

He's a pirate but he's proper :-)

Blog Entries
    Villains have always been my favourite. mrs Danvers in Rebecca is plain mean but very realistic and even more so than the lead characters... sweeney todd

also in movies and on tv.... Kahn.....Sylar....Magneto.

I could probably name a lot more...
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

And then there are villains who battle worse villains: Simon Templar, Arsène Lupin, Danny Ocean.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    seems an appropriate place to quote myself:

http://online-literature.com/forums/...&postcount=256
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    The king of all villains - Iago!!!!

This just needs one slight pictoral tinker:

I wasn't hugely keen on Branagh's Iago, but McKellen's interpretation was wonderfully poisonous.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche