View Poll Results: What is your favorite book(s) of all time (only choose 3 titles at most)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray

5 12.82%
  • The Count of Monte Cristo

3 7.69%

7 17.95%
  • Anna Karenina

6 15.38%
  • The Age of Innoncence

0 0%
  • Of Mice and Men

5 12.82%
  • Jane Eyre

5 12.82%
  • Great Expectations

2 5.13%
  • The Odyssey

2 5.13%
  • Crime and Punishment

4 10.26%
  • The Art of War

0 0%
  • The Scarlet Letter

1 2.56%
  • The Brothers Karamasov

7 17.95%
  • The Great Gatsby

5 12.82%
  • Candide

2 5.13%
  • David Copperfield

1 2.56%
  • Sense and Senseability

0 0%
  • Bleak House

3 7.69%
  • All Quiet on the Western Front

0 0%
  • Don Quioxte

4 10.26%
  • War and Peace

2 5.13%
  • Madame Bovery

3 7.69%
  • Tess of D'ubervilles

0 0%
  • Les Miserables

5 12.82%
  • My Antonia

1 2.56%
  • Animal Farm

2 5.13%
  • Wurthering Heights

5 12.82%
  • Moby Dick

7 17.95%
  • Pride and Prejudice

3 7.69%
  • Treasure Island

0 0%
  • Invisible Man

2 5.13%
  • The Three Muskateers

1 2.56%
  • A Tale of Two Cities

1 2.56%
  • Ender's Game

1 2.56%
  • Heart of Darkness

1 2.56%
  • Their Eyes We're Watching God

0 0%
  • The Pilgram's Progress

0 0%
  • The Metamophosis

1 2.56%
  • The Hobbit

1 2.56%
  • The Chronicles of Narnia

1 2.56%
  • Frankenstien

2 5.13%
  • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

5 12.82%
  • The Grapes of Wrath

0 0%
  • Emma

0 0%
  • The House of Mirth

0 0%
  • The Jungle

0 0%
  • Little Women

3 7.69%
  • This Side of Paradise

0 0%
  • Middlemarch

4 10.26%
  • O Pioneeers!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best Books of all Time Poll

The Best Books of all Time Poll

Hey guys, I have been wanting to compose a top 50 Books. I have chosen 50 titles and am giving you guys the opportunity to vote for your favorite classic of all time. This list includes modern books and yes a couple of odd titles from the fantasy and sci-fi realm but I have chosen them for what they have accomplished in their respective genres though are not real "classics". Anyway, I hope you take the time for to vote and enjoy the results. You may vote for more than one title but please do not vote for more than 3, thank you.
    Last edited by misterlit; 11-04-2009 at 07:59 PM.

I can't see a poll...

Edit: I see one now...
    Last edited by Veho; 11-04-2009 at 07:56 PM.
    "...You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?..." E. A. Poe

Please be aware, that these are my picks, so there may not be some titles you think should be on the list and are not or vica verse.

Blog Entries
    Arghh......no fair only getting to choose three. It was tough to narrow it down to only three. There were so many different ways I could have gone, so I did the best I could.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    Don Quixote!

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What's a greatest book poll without the greatest book: Walden. Oh, well. I endured and made my selections.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

I'm sure you're expecting a response thread overflowing with: "where's ..."

So I'm going to be one of the first and dispute the absence of the greats of the gothic cannon: I would have like to have seen The Italian, The Mysteries Of Udolpho, or The Monk.

You've made some great choices though, and I'm not here to complain. No list with under a thousand titles is going to make everyone happy.

You really think that Lewis's 'Monk' deserves mention as a candidate for greatest book of all time? Or Radcliff's work even? I enjoyed classes in gothic, but even the most enthusiastic of my professors never seemed to compare the works literary merit to works of the great writers. I always understood--specifically, the English Gothic--as more a popular culture study then a literary study.

Fair play:

Maybe I'm letting my personal tastes get in the way with two out of three- but I think The Italian holds it own against *a good portion* of the books on the list.

I certainly love Treasure Island; but Radcliffe's masterpiece is on a higher stature.

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know, there's just too many of these polls. Why can't we just enjoy literature without having to decide what's the greatest? When it really comes down to it, titles like Don Quioxte, The Brothers Karamazov, War and Peace etc,. all come out as equal.
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As another has pointed out you are certain to get endless complaints about this or that missing favorite. I would point out that the list is incredibly biased in that it avoids any poetry (Dante? Baudelaire?, William Blake?, Milton?), drama (uh... Shakespeare? Aeschylus?), non-fiction (Plato, Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Montaigne's and Emerson's Essays). The list is also largely skewed toward literature written in English (with a few exceptions) and offers little as far as non-Western literature. I'll also note that just placing The Lord of the Rings upon a "greatest books ever written" list is ridiculous.

Having said all that... I'll play along. Of the choices offered I would need to go with War and Peace, Madame Bovary (an almost flawless novel), and Don Quixote. These books would certainly make my list of the 50... even the 20 greatest books ever written... even if I were free to chose from any book written. My guess, however, from what I have seen from Lit Net discussions is that Dostoevsky, Orwell and Lord of the Rings will come out on top... perhaps with Jane Austen or even Dickens as a dark horse.

I also agree that competition in literature is a bit absurd. There is no World Series for the winners. There's no need to worry that if Shakespeare, Milton, Dante, Tolstoy, Cervantes, Homer, etc... don't continually win a set number of the "best of..." awards they will slip from the curriculum. Nor is there the least chance that The Lord of the Rings will ever rise to such a status simply on the basis of the same. Put simply... almost anything on your list is worth reading... and there are a great many others of equal or even greater merit.
    Last edited by stlukesguild; 11-05-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

It was a bit difficult to narrow the books I've loved to only three. But I hope there are some who share the same love towards the books I've voted for.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post
    You know, there's just too many of these polls. Why can't we just enjoy literature without having to decide what's the greatest? When it really comes down to it, titles like Don Quioxte, The Brothers Karamazov, War and Peace etc,. all come out as equal.
    The polls are interesting, though. When I really thought of it, I realized that I read books that are emotionally satisfying. I read all of Scott Fitzgeralds works, even his letters. Gatsby and The Last Tycoon are among my favorite books...but, as a novelist, does Fitzgerald possess the genius of Tolstoy?
    I don't think so; but when I wasn't suffering with Anna Karina, I was sleeping!

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Lamp View Post
    Fair play:

Maybe I'm letting my personal tastes get in the way with two out of three- but I think The Italian holds it own against *a good portion* of the books on the list.

I certainly love Treasure Island; but Radcliffe's masterpiece is on a higher stature.
    Oh, and you had to bring in the favorite book from my childhood. Treasure Island is certainly a 'treasure', but you are probably right that The Italian has more merit and complexity.

If you are into gothic, have you by chance read Zofloya? It is pretty under-appreciated in my opinion. But Charles Brockden Brown's Weiland is my absolute favorite Gothic novel.

I've gone for 3 of my favourites, and what I think are seminal works of literature. I could have gone for lots on your list, but I think that these 3 are up there as some of the greatest or most influential of all time.

Wuthering Heights
    Frankenstein
    Middlemarch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast