Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Auntie's Anti-fiction

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

All to Myself Alone

Thank you, Hawkman, Delta, Dougy and Steve for your comments on the last.

Here's the next one, featuring a recurring character* named Arlene Henry. Arlene began as a secondary character in a novel which may or not be finished in this millennium, but she spun off into several short stories of her own. I think of her as a fellow Baby Boomer, albeit slightly older than her author. She also carries a tune much better than her tone-deaf creator ever could.

A brief note about the two songs alluded to in this story under the "Fair Use" provision of the copyright law. The first song, composed in 1930,is not directly quoted at all; and the second, from 1947, quotes only a single line in addition to its title, my title, and a paraphrase in the very last sentence.

With that, let's take a trip back in time for a little number I like to call

All to Myself Alone

In the carefully researched blind spot behind the far eastern end of the bleachers, a distance of two football fields from the building, Arlene struck a single match. Sheltering its flame from the wind, she gave her friend a light before lighting her own. One would think that after moving heaven and earth to find the location where they could smoke without detection, the two girls would've relished the lunchtime rebellion, but it was becoming less of a ritual than a thoughtless habit. Just as in the television commercial, they were “smoking more but enjoying it less,” though it wouldn't have occurred to them to stop. They were, after all, seniors.

Mary Pat took a drag so shallow that no tell-tale white puff came out when she spoke. “Can you believe it? Only a couple more weeks and we'll be out of this dump for good!”

“First I gotta pass trig. God, how I dread that Regents exam!”

“Oh, you're so smart, Arlene. You'll graduate with flying colors.” Mary Pat held her cigarette daintily between two fingers. A waxy ring of her hot-pink lipstick encircled the tan filter.

“ When am I going to find the time to study for the damn thing? I mean, with all the stuff going on at home-- and don't forget, I gotta write the stupid class song! What rhymes with ‘St. Hilarius’? ”

“Gee, I dunno -- Precarious? There’s another one right on the tip of my tongue, but -- ” Mary Pat slapped her own forehead. “I forgot to tell ya! Brendan’s coming home this weekend! For the whole summer!” The announcement tumbled out with a heightened tone, the words accelerated. She grabbed Arlene’s forearms and jumped up and down.

Vicarious. That’s the word –and the reaction–Mary Pat was evidently looking for. She searched through her mammoth pocketbook as well, finally pulling out an envelope that showed all the signs of repeated handling. “He says he’s taking the first bus down from Dartmouth, the second he finishes his last exam. That’s how much he wants to see me!” Mary Pat held the envelope to her lips and kissed it, adding another hot pink imprint to its once virginally-white back. With great reluctance she slipped the letter back into her bag and snapped it shut. “ ‘Course we'll be coming to the Spring Fling. We'll hear your song!”

If I ever finish it.”

“Brendan’s sister thinks the Spring Fling is a glorified Friday night CYO canteen. The year Cathy graduated they still had a Senior Prom.” Off the front of her uniform skirt Mary Pat brushed a bit of ash perceptible only to her.

“That’s true. You know what they used to do, though? The senior class president used to go from classroom to classroom and row by row shakin’ down everybody to buy bids. She'd stand by your desk and stare you in the face and yell, ‘Are you going to The Prom? Why not?’ “

“You're pullin’ my leg, Ar. I can't believe the nuns would let ‘em–“

“Effin’ -A. They forced you to admit in public that you couldn't afford it or that you couldn't get a date. Embarrassing as hell. And a few years before that the seniors used to get to go to Washington D.C. for the weekend–train trip, hotel, the whole shot. I don't know what happened – I bet the kids went nuts and caused all kinds of scandal. What does S’ter Mary Celestine always scream about? Oh yeah –‘Drinking and carousing.’ “

“Wow. That stinks. How come everybody else got to have all the fun?”

“We're not supposed to have fun, M. P. We go to St. Hilarius.”

As ever, the auditorium was locked, opened only for special events, and nobody would tell Arlene how she could obtain the key. Rehearsal-- if one could call it that–had been relocated in the basement area reserved for music, essentially no different from a regular
    classroom, except for the cork walls and an ancient upright in the corner. To their credit, the baker’s dozen of Hilariettes compensated for the cramped quarters by arranging themselves as symmetrically as they could.

“Don't worry, Girls,” Arlene said, “it'll sound better when you're all lined up on the risers. Okay, let’s take it from the top:

Here we are –
    aiming for that far-off star –
    If you want to see us fly
    We are really gonna try–
    Here we are!”

Arlene winced upon hearing lyrics she'd finished --or rather abandoned-- the previous night at the mystical time evoked by a Sinatra song –“the wee small hours of the morning.” She had only completed making the copies just a few precious minutes before Homeroom, the blue smudges on her fingertips testifying to her haste. It was late afternoon, yet the distinct fragrance of mimeograph fluid still remained strong enough to fill the room. To top it all off, Arlene hadn't the slightest idea of how to lead a vocal group. Gamely she stood in front of her classmates and moved her hands from side to side, just as she'd seen Fred Waring and Mitch Miller do on television.

Watch us soar–
    We're the class of Sixty-Four
    from good old St. Hilarius--
    We've got hope to carry us–
    Here we are!

The faculty advisor for the Senior Class attempted to remain in the background, but it was difficult to ignore Sister Mary Celestine’s imposing presence. Stealing a quick glance, Arlene saw her half-heartedly tapping her open palm with a ruler, the instrument of
    choice for keeping time as well as less felicitous uses.

“Okay, that’s good.” Arlene lied. “Now let’s go to the bridge–“

History may come to judge
    other schools some day--

Whoever was knocking on the door had to pound on it really hard to be heard above the thirteen voices and the piano banging with Barbara Brady’s enthusiastic chords. It was Sweet Little Mrs. Prendergast from the office. Sister had to bend far down so the school secretary could whisper in her ear. Then, upon straightening up, Sister looked directly at Arlene. The expression on the nun’s face was unreadable. It could have been anger. Or horror.

Inward Arlene started screaming. Oh my God! It’s Dad!

“Miss Henry! Report to Father Roche’s office immediately!” This time there was no question of tone. Sister was definitely mad, and Arlene was in big, big trouble. Definitely. “Now, Miss Henry. Father is expecting you. The rest of you girls are dismissed.”

“Meet ‘cha at the bus stop, M. P.” Reaching for her bag, Arlene remembered the partially-crushed pack of Marlboros jammed in the secret inner compartment. She thrust the purse into Mary Pat’s stomach. “Watch my pocketbook. And for godsakes don't let anybody go through it.”

The short walk down the block just past the Church and the rectory seemed like the Last Mile. It didn't help that the early June sun blazed like the future fire about which Arlene and her classmates had been warned to expect in the next world if they didn't change their ways in this one. It also took a while to find an unlocked entrance.

The halls of the Grade School seemed eerie as she walked by the silent classrooms, filled with empty chairs lined up and waiting for tiny ghosts. When no one answered the door marked “Principal,” an exquisite sense of relief washed over her, but dried up instantly at the sound of “Come in.”

The priest’s handshake was genial, pleasant even. “Arlene! So nice to see you! I wish I could say that I've seen your dad at Mass lately –“

“Oh, well, Father, he’s been si–er-- ill.“

“Oh? I'm sorry to hear it.” He cleared his throat.

A glass jar of cellophane-wrapped candies occupied a prominent place on the desk between Arlene and Father. One of those peppermints would be perfect to cover up–if not a multitude of sins–then certainly a mortal infraction against School Rule Number Four, assuming that was the crime of which she was accused. She knew enough not to help herself to the sweets, but if he offered–-

“I may be wrong, Arlene, but I bet you're wondering why we had you rush over here on this fine Spring afternoon, hmm? Well. You know, it’s always wonderful when a student from St. Hilarius shows a bit of a flair, a God-given talent in some creative endeavor. A little bird told me that when it comes to music, you're quite the thing, Young Lady. . .well, perhaps I ought to come to the point. Today I received a rather unusual phone call around lunchtime.”

Then it was the smoking. Somebody had spotted them! But then –why was she in the hot seat and not Mary Pat?

“It seems that one of the Hilariettes went home for lunch today. While her Mom was making her sandwich, she used the time to practice the number you'd composed for the spring show and her mother recognized the tune right away.”

“I didn't steal it! I just borrowed the music, not the words. It’s a parody, Father–“

“I'm fully aware of that, Arlene, but it’s the words of the original song that –“

“If that’s the case, how come nobody said anything last year when they robbed a whole slew o’ stuff right off Broadway? They did an entire medley from The Sound of Music and nobody batted an eye. I'm sorry, Father, but it’s just not fair!”

“I appreciate how much this hurts, Arlene. But the parent who called me was really disturbed by the song you chose to- –to emulate. I hope this doesn't embarrass you, but ‘Love for Sale’ tells the tale of a, er-- how can I put this delicately?-- a lady of the evening. You didn't realize that, no doubt.“

In a extraordinary effort to hold back sarcasm, Arlene bit her tongue.

“If we were uncharitable, we could speculate how one of our devoted parishioners herself had acquired such um, worldly knowledge, so we'll let that pass. Nevertheless, the lady was concerned that others might also recognize the provenance your class song, and put two and two together, viz the unsavory connotations of the original piece. People might begin to question why Catholic school seniors–for that matter, senior girls-- would in any way associate themselves with suggestive subject matter. We're taught not only to avoid the near occasion of sin but also to avoid the appearance of sin. Your little song dangerously flirts with both. We shouldn't treat sin lightly, Arlene, especially sins against the flesh–the temple of the soul-- specifically, sins against the Sixth and Ninth Commandments.”

Arlene’s mid-section nearly buckled in her effort to stifle the laugh. She got the connection with the Sixth-- since adultery was a blanket term covering the spectrum of carnal transgressions outside the Sacrament of Marriage, pre- and post-- but the Ninth? She'd never heard of a case of a St. Hilarius student ever coveting his neighbor’s wife. (Then again, having witnessed the preternatural horniness exhibited by some of the members of the football team, she allowed that could be wrong.)

“The important thing is. . well, the faithful among the parish of Saint Hilarius have invested much into our beloved schools, our grade school and especially our high school. “ The priest’s apologia continued. “We're expected to uphold our tradition of preparing young people for adulthood and the working world with the highest academic standards. In addition to those worthy goals, we-- unlike our friends over at East Hogwash Senior High–we try, at least, to teach them how to live as responsible human beings and to set good examples as Christians in every way, such as keeping God’s Commandments. That’s what the woman was getting at, I believe.

“Oh, but you should've heard her, Arlene! She was fit to be tied! At one point I almost believe she had forgotten just who it was she was talking to.”

In Arlene’s young life there had been few desires stronger than the one that pressed upon her to say to the priest: “You should've hung up on her!” Somehow, via divine intervention, perhaps, she resisted the temptation.

“She wanted me to expel you from school, bar you from your own graduation ceremony. I calmed her down and finally got her to accept a compromise.”

“Oh, I'll drop the song, Father, I don't mind. Really. The song goes.”

“Well, that goes without saying. Anyway, I assured the woman that you would be forbidden from attending the spring show as well as all the other school-sponsored social events for the remainder of the school year, and to my enormous relieve, she agreed-- reluctantly--
    Still, that’s my final decision. I'm sorry, Arlene. I hope isn't overly harsh.”

That was harsh? Harsh was Sister Mary Celestine’s ruler held an alarming distance above one’s knuckles. “I understand, Father. I have a question though. How do I explain all this next time I go to confession?”

“ Confess what? Where’s the sin? Let me tell you a little secret, Arlene. Years from now you'll look back on this incident and laugh–that is, if you hadn't completely forgotten all about it. Come to mention it – tell me, Arlene, what are your plans? College?”

“That'll have to wait for a while, Father. At least until my father gets better.”

“Sure. As I often mention to some of the senior girls, why waste your time and money in college when you're just going to get a M. R. S. diploma, followed by post-graduate degree in diapers. But it would be a crying shame if you abandoned your music –Ah!” Father Roche snapped his fingers. “Just thought of something. Have you got a minute?”

From out of nowhere appeared an old-fashioned 78 rpm record. Removing the it from its plain-brown slipcase, Father handled it with extreme care, gingerly but firmly grasping the wafer-thin disc by the extreme edges of its circumference. The priest’s fingers
    showed calluses and a slight yellow tinge, possibly the tell-tale traces of nicotine.

On a shelf behind the priest’s desk sat a phonograph player, humble and a far-cry from the futuristic hi-fi sets which the well-off families of the parish could easily afford. After placing the record on a felt-covered turntable as if he were crowning a king, Father picked up the stylus as if it were a scepter encrusted with precious gems. The revolution began, initially exploding with pops and whirls.

The side started as a typical number from the Big Band era; but the downbeat and ambient rhythms sounded remarkably current – not like rock ‘n’ roll but a “swinging” arrangement similar to that of Nelson Riddle. Kenton even. Then after the introductory instrumental entered the vocal:

I'd like to get you
    On a slow boat to China —

The voice was a robust baritone, with Crosby-like phrasing, but something about the singer sounded utterly familiar. Where had Arlene heard it before?

“Why, that’s you, father! I thought I'd recognized it. You sound just like you do at the CYO canteens! But you actually sang! Professionally, I mean. Who knew?”

Father Roche was beaming, treading perilously close to a near occasion of the sin of pride. “Lay people are under the mistaken impression that we clergymen go into the seminary the day after we graduate from high school. In the case of yours truly, I did a stint in the Army, and after the war –well, you can see– or should I say, ‘hear’-spent some time interpreting the works of Mr. Frank Loesser and his talented contemporaries, to ‘make a joyful noise unto the Lord’ as it were.”

“Wow, that’s fabulous. Ya know, Father, if this priesthood doesn't work out, you'll always have something to fall back on.” Uh-oh. She'd done it now. Arlene hurled inaudible curses at herself and her big, fat mouth.

The smile hadn't faded, though. Maybe he hadn't heard her, or–since she thought she could see a slight upward shaking of his shoulders and the proverbial “twinkle” in his eye –maybe he had. In any event, he was finished with her for now.

“Well, thanks for stopping by, Arlene. I'll include your Dad in my intentions as well as during Mass tomorrow.” He was standing by the door, waiting for her to take the hint. “Cole Porter, huh? You'd think a girl your age would go gaga for what’s their names –the English ones with the hair.”

“Oh, you mean the Beatles. If you ask me, Father, they're just a flash in the pan.”

“I'm with you.” With that he waved his hands in blessing, followed by a considerably less spiritual but nonetheless chaste kiss on her forehead. Then he put a fist full of peppermints into her hand.

“Thank you, Father! I love these things.”

“Well, don't eat them all at once. Save a couple for later –after you have your cigarette.”

Holy Crap! Did she hear that right? Once thing she did hear, within seconds after he shut the door, was the record playing once again.

For sulking purposes, the back stoop wasn't all that bad a place to sit. Fiddling with the tuning dial on her transistor, Arlene hoped it would pull in one of the jazz stations from New York City, but that night all should could get was country and western music, albeit from a high-powered antenna in faraway West Virginia.

The night sky was clear but the air was humid, a paradise for flying bugs, yet just breezy enough to carry over the fragrance of roses from Mrs. Quackenbush’s garden next door, replacing last month’s scent of the lilacs of Mrs. Miller’s yard on the other side.

The Miller boys themselves were usually a constant presence, with their juvenile teasing, and -- since she had already turned eighteen–pestering her to run down the corner to buy them a six-pack. When Ike and Joey weren't busy bothering her, they'd be in their own driveway, where well into the evening they'd attempt to shoot a basketball into the hoop mounted above the garage door. The constant dribbling on the asphalt was bad enough; worse was their playing skill. For every basket they made, they missed ten or twelve, underscored by the sound of the rim loudly wobbling upon impact. When they practiced while Arlene’s father tried to sleep, his upper body would shudder and his closed eyelids would flinch with each reverberation of the metal ring. But even the irritating Millers were AWOL this night. Not counting the mosquitoes, Arlene was completely alone.

Everything conspired to remind her that she was sitting at home rather than participating in the event on other side of town. As much as she tried to assure herself it was all a bunch of malarkey, the banishment bothered her, which in itself made her feel like a damned fool. Certainly nobody there would be missing her. Who? Her supposed best friend showing off her fancy makeup, lording over everybody her big-shot college boyfriend, himself a failing grade away from the Draft and the jungles of Indo-China? And good riddance to the stupid show itself, slapped together at the last minute, the performers lapping up the phony compliments, some actually believing “Today St. Hilarius, tomorrow Broadway!” Who were they kidding? Oh, it was all crap, and it stunk to high heaven.

Arlene tapped the bottom of her radio on the boards of the little back porch until a tune came in, faint and tinny. Frenetic fiddling backed by a throbbing string bass. Bluegrass? Whatever it was, the up tempo notes from her little radio were twanging out a message of joy.

And at least she had that. Whatever she ended up doing with her life, after Life decided what to do with her, music always would, in a way, belong only to her, just as humans beings everywhere and for centuries claimed exclusive ownership of the huge disc which was at that very moment beaming directly down on her head–that old moon, big and shiny enough to melt the stoniest heart.

[COLOR="teal"] * Arlene's previous appearances:

"Yesterday's Mashed Potatoes"

"Downhill"

"Amateur Night"

"Aren't You Glad You're You."

The Best of the Blest

Last edited by AuntShecky; 05-25-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    You paint a vivid picture of a lost, and at least to this reader, alien world, Auntie. I very much enjoyed the interview between Arlene and father Roche. Delicate humour fitting for the setting of a less brash age I feel. Thanks for the diversion.

Live and be well - H

Blog Entries

response story

This was a pleasure to read, and had style. Your wordsmanship is just terrific. And the last parargraph, where you wax philosophically about lovers of each generation claiming the moon as their own exclusive prize? Like someone else said, "It was charming."

Blog Entries

Book Smart

Thanks to all who took the time to read "Book Smart," which will be
    deleted (temporarily) for reasons to be kept under wraps for a while.
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 10-15-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Auntie and welcome back to the boards Well there is certainly a lot to enjoy in this tale of virtue's reward! There are moments descibing Mr Thornburg's life that ring uncomfortably true - lol. I do have a couple of observations. The one which keeps kicking me is the reference to Grendel. Not, "the monster's mother - it was Grendel himself." I feel you have missed a trick here in that Grendel, though terrible, was a lesser evil than his mother. What if it had been the son doing the menacing for the rent rather than the land-lady. Having failed to get it he could have threatened Thornburg with his mum! It would have saved me a rush to the dictionary to look up, "ecdysiast" - lol.

There are several references to the Chronicles before the explanation of what they are. Well I guess we can take a reasonable idea of what they might be by association, but I'm not sure that the repeated oblique intimations work. I did find the Stunned paragraph a little difficult to follow. I feel you could have achieved the desired effect with more conventional grammar and syntax - lol.

You can only be forgiven for the occasional typo which escaped the proof reading and in a piece of this length and richness is entirely excuseable.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this piece immensely, your passages of warmly descriptive writing, rich with your characteristic irony and humour gave me a wonderful read. The Conclusion reminded me a little of Balckadder's Christmas Carol, only his long-suffering forebarance failed him at the end, so he forfieted his reward - lol.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Live and be well - H

Blog Entries
    The story 'All Myself Alone' is lovely story with main character. She loves her music and show that your life is not one path be Father. I did giggle that peppermint whne she leave the office.

The 'Bookshelf' remind me of the film of 'The Purpuse of Happiness'. I enjoy reading both stories. Very jealous, I hope can writing like this one day.
    English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.

Copyright (C) 2011, Zoolane

I have pass by English Exam.

Blog Entries
    Thank you both for reading #64 above. (It's been a rough summer and early fall for yer ole Auntie, but as soon as I can, I'll try to get back into the LitNet groove, including reading and commenting on the LitNutters' work as soon as I can.)

Since a creative work is --or should be --a collaborative effort between both writer and reader, I don't want to pin down what the intended meaning was. I will suggest, however, that it is best not to take fiction too literally. True enough, this story is about a guy so "nice" he literally goes out of his way to help someone (such as the sandwich shop owner), but on the other hand, the society in which he lives has --again literally--not much use for him. Still, if the only presents the superficial--and clichéd --theme that virtue eventually gets rewarded, then it's a flat-out failure.

To address a couple of your other concerns, Hawk:

I'll go back to try to patch any typos I may have missed, but the length of a story is no excuse for carelessness. It is lengthy for the LitNet, but clocks in about midway through the general word count for a short story: 1000-7500.

You're absolutely right about the Beowulf allusion, especially since the chief character in "Book Smart" tends to live life by what he's learned in literature. In this case the author herself was too literal by coming up with a wretched sentence simply designed to follow up on the landlady's threat to send her son. Even when I was writing that sentence it bothered me, as it went through 4 or 5 revisions. But after editing the offending section, I hope it's been clarified.

The other short passage that gave you pause attempts to illustrate what it would be like to have one's whole life flash in front of him in a microsecond--hence the jumbled, disconnected images written without punctuation. Writing this part required invoking what passes as my "imagination," since I've never undergone such a mystical experience before-- at least when I was sober!

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments.

Blog Entries

Sounds No Worse Than Cheers

Sounds No Worse Than Cheers

According to conventional wisdom, there’s more than a tenuous thread of truth to the bad rep surrounding Mondays. Already this particular Monday had begun to suck big time, and it was only half-past eight. The stupid bus was late again, and the stinking chemistry test was coming up later that morning, but not hearing from Janice all weekend was the worst. Every call, each more frantic than the last, had been shuttled to the nebulous realm of voice mail. No response. Same with texts, IMs, desperate postings on Facebook and Twitter. What was up with her? God, maybe she was sick or something.

As Thad continued down the corridor, an abrupt rear collision hurled him forward. He heard a rude “Whoops! I don’t brake for jackasses.” The attacker high-fived his companions before the small gang blended with the crowd. They were beyond earshot by the time Thad could come up with a rejoinder: “Hey, good morning to you, too!” Meanwhile he had more important things to do, like trying to get ahold of Jan.

He unpocketed the unit, punched in her instant dial number, and was immediately deported to the Gitmo of her voice mail. Maybe there was something wrong with his cell phone, a glitch in the batteries or a loose connection. Whenever anything at home didn’t work properly, his father would employ the same S.O.P. First came the troubleshooting process. He’d take a long look at the balky toaster, snowy picture on the TV, or whichever device temporarily to have gone, as Dad put it, “on the fritz.” Next came the actual repair work. This involved snapping open a cold one, taking a manly swig, letting loose with a loud curse, and then punishing the disobedient machine with a healthy whack.

Believing it was worth a try, Thad held the slim phone vertically and pounded it on his opposite palm. All that did was hurt his hand. Continuing down the corridor, he saw a swarm of students clustering around the back wall, completely occupied by a glass case displaying every sports award accumulated in the school’s history. The rear panel of the case served as the designated site for a enlarged color photo, a smaller replica of which was certain to fill one of the pages of the high school yearbook the following June. The display case photo, however, changed according to which particular sport happened to be in season; at the moment, the spotlight shone on the varsity gridiron team. For decades, the student body had taken the artifact for granted, rarely noticing it as anything but a quaint throwback to a less sophisticated era. So what was the big attraction that particular morning? The kids were whooping it up, cracking wise, filling the halls with derisive laughter, but their behavior didn’t strike Thad as particularly joyful. He kept picking up a strange vibe, as if at any moment the revelers would turn into a pitchfork-waving mob.

Thad had always hated that lame trophy case; there was something arrogant, self-congratulatory about it, like the televised Hollywood awards shows that filled his father with disgust: “Bunch of bleeping bleeps blowing their own bleeping horns.” Evidently others had felt the same way, because sometime over the past weekend, the secular shrine had been defiled. “Hah! That’ll show ‘im!” somebody yelled.

At this point Thad couldn’t totally make out the extent of the damage; no broken glass littered the floor. In the narrow space between two onlookers, he could see the double doors of the case slightly separated, with the hook of the picked padlock guiltily hanging. In general, Thad’s opinion of vandalism echoed the tongue-clicking disgust held by so-called “responsible” society. Yet-- since the rebel in him relished the power of iconoclasm--he found the seemingly innocuous schoolboy prank as funny, almost admirable. He was just about to crow, “Hey, way to deface school property, Man!” when some jerk spotted him. “Hey, Dorky McDork Dork– check it out!” He grabbed Thad by the back of the neck and pushed him toward the glass, while the jeering spectators made way, partially out of respect to the public humiliation in progress, but mostly in regard to their own personal safety.

The punk squeezed Thad’s neck even more tightly as he pushed him closer to the glass. “That’s right, Pretty Boy. Look!” he ordered, while making damn sure Thad couldn’t turn his head a fraction of an inch.

At first forcible glance, the figures in the glossy shot looked just as fresh-faced and ready for action as on the summer day when the professional photographer had done his snappy thing. The decision over who posed where had largely been a matter of height, with no apparent distinction between the offensive and defensive squads. The group portrait had been designed as kind of a mock-up of a field formation in the first row; each if these players, coached into adopting an expression that meant business, knelt on one knee, while stretching out his left arm, with the knuckles of his clenched hand barely touching the narrow band of grass in front of the line. The second row consisted of the remaining team members, vertical this time, but just as formidable. At dead center stood the quarterback, with the all-important game ball tightly tucked in the crook of his arm, as if that so-called “pigskin” were a priceless religious relic. Nothing amiss here, except for the team member standing three places from the right in the back row. This had been Thad’s assigned spot. The last time he’d looked at the photo was the day it had been installed back in early September. At that time he honestly thought he looked okay in the picture, at least there was nothing embarrassing. Until today. He recognized himself, all buffed-up and beefy inside his bulky uniform, with the double digit number on his jersey unchanged, but there was nothing familiar about his image from the neck up. Somebody had taken a red marking pen and slashed a huge “x” through his face, from the top of his helmet through the bottom of his chin strap. Above his head the word “LOSER!!!” had been scrawled, highlighted with a blood-colored arrow in case anyone had any doubt over who the culprit might be. Thad’s tormentor finally released his grip on his neck and pounded him hard on the back. “Get a load of the big hero now!”

“Wha–? Oh. Oh, yeah, I get it,” Thad said, adding, “That’s a pisser, Dude.” But he wasn’t laughing.

He wondered if Jan had seen it yet. Think of the angel and she’ll appear, and there-- just a couple dozen yards down the hall--she was, giggling with a bunch of other girls. Raising his arm, he called her name and hoped that she could hear him. She turned and looked at him for a nanosecond and then looked away. Again, “Jan!”-- only louder. He was absolutely sure that she’d heard him this time, but she made no acknowledgment at all other than a gesture that chilled his very bones. The love of his young life raised her palm in his general direction, as she were a cop indicating “Stop” as if she didn’t want him to bother her. This wasn’t his Janice, no way.

In home room some moron called him a “tool,” and the poking and taunting didn’t let up all morning long. Even in Language Arts class Mrs. Aronson could have been a willing accomplice with the poem she’d chosen to read aloud. When she came to the lines

Now you will not swell the rout
    Of lads that wore their honors out,
    Runners whom renown outran,
    And the name died before the man

she glared directly at Thad. It had been an incredibly painful day, no doubt; still, he was grateful he hadn’t been called on to explain what the poem means. He had a notion that somehow those lines were similar to a story his father had told him the other night.

On the way home from the game, they’d made their customary stop at Lucky’s for his father’s one-man post-game show. Occasionally they’d share a booth and a pizza, but this time they sat right at the bar, with a draft for his dad and the underage default beverage, a plain ginger ale–damn it!–for Thad. He hoped the conversation would be kept light, free of the heavy topics he’d overheard his parents discussing the previous night. His mother and father talked about the family’s financial situation, how the mortgage crisis had messed up their own lives in so many ways, particularly decreasing Thad’s college fund, which never had been all that hefty in the first place.

“Good crowd tonight,” his father said. “That is, if you don’t count the folks who were actually watching the game. Half the guys, even geezers like your old man here, were ogling the cheerleaders.”

Thad shifted around on his perch; a barstool was a seat where he could never get comfortable–at least physically.

“ ‘Course at St. Hilarius never had pretty cheerleaders. We did have male cheerleaders though– and even they wore long pants.”

“Yeah, right.” Thad rolled his eyes. “You’re full of sh–, er, pulling my leg again.”

His father took a healthy swig of his brew. “Don’t believe me? Look up the archives for the old sports stories in the newspaper. You could --what d’ya call it?--Google it.”

For a while the bubbles and speech continued to flow until the volume of Thad’s father’s voice suddenly dropped a few decibels. “See that fella on the end of the bar? I’d tell ya ‘don’t look now’ but he’d never notice anyway.”

Thad turned his head and saw the solitary man, slumping forward, his head just a few inches away from hitting the surface of the bar. “Years ago he was a big basketball star for Downstate U.,” his father further explained. “You’d never know it now, would ya? You know how everybody in town flocks to all of those games? “

“Yeah, and it doesn’t matter whether you actually went there or not–“

“Right. It’s almost like a civic duty, except they enjoy it. Or seem to. Anyway back in–I don’t know, may be it was ‘64, they were in this huge tournament game, championship on the line, of course, all tied up with just a few seconds left--you know the drill. Anyway, somehow that guy got possession of the ball, dribbled it half-way down the court, took a risky shot that went through the hoop just as the buzzer sounded.” His father took a swig of beer. “Well, you can imagine what happened next. Pandemonium. The fans came rushing down, lifted him up on their shoulders, well, you’ve seen that movie. Look at him now. ”

Thad shook his head. “Poor guy.”

“Yeah, it’s never a good idea to peak before you hit twenty-one. Don’t go thinking I’m spreading gossip, like one of your mom’s catty friends. I pointed the pitiful bastard out to you for a reason.”

Thad nodded. “I get you.”

“ Don’t get me wrong --I’m extremely proud of the way you handled yourself tonight, son.”

The unconditional acceptance from Thad’s father did little to buffer this recent spate of scorn from his schoolmates, not to mention his girl. It seemed as if the whole world had singled him out as a persona non grata, a ready rationale for an exquisite flirtation with adolescent angst. At the same time, he wanted to handle the bizarre treatment the way an adult would, trying to tell himself: “Oh, well. That’s the way it goes.”

Gradually the confusion and hurt eased up a little bit, as he began to analyze the strange events of the morning. It occurred to him that the whole thing might indeed be an elaborate practical joke cooked up right after the big game on Friday night to be served when classes resumed on Monday. The whole school must be in on it, with everybody committed to giving him heavy heat. It was only a matter of time before they’d own up to it, they’d all have a good laugh over it, and everybody could move on. Jan, especially, would be her sweet self again.

Kidding aside, there still remained the serious matter of the chemistry test. It was inevitable that Third Period would arrive, and it did. Thad had just written his name on the top of the answer sheet when he was told that he was wanted in the Principal’s Office. “But what about –?”

“Not my problem, Grabowski.” Mr. Walter grabbed the test paper and answer sheet and tossed them both on his own desk. “And don’t even think about a make-up.”

All the way down to the first floor Thad’s stomach churned with a mixture of anxiety and disgust. The stupid school had so many rules and regulations on the books that a guy could unknowingly break a couple before he walked through the front door. He was already a laughingstock, so getting yanked out class in front of everybody was merely a little scratch. From an academic stand point, though, missing the test would be a fatal wound. All that work and worry and for what?-- only to forfeit the test in exchange for a big fat zero that would shoot his average straight to hell. So long, scholarship; hello, fast food industry.

Just his luck! Thad’s future plans were being destroyed because of the Principal’s bad timing. What the hell did Cap’n Crunch want with him? Possibly he was to be interrogated about the vandalism. The situation called for a pre-emptive strike.

Thad took a deep breath. Before he was half-way through the door, he’d gotten out the words: “ I don’t know anything about that damaged picture, Sir.”

“What picture?” The administrator sat at a desk the size of a sub-compact car. On the wall directly behind his desk in a ornately-carved frame hung his post-graduate degree, a doctorate in education. “Please, sit down, Chad, er–“ a quick glance at his computer screen “-Thad. Thanks for coming down. Now, about that game the other night–“

All the big blowhard wanted to do was talk sports! Meanwhile Mr. Walter would waste no time scratching a big fat zero next to Thad’s name. Unbelievable.

“That was quite a finish, Thad. It’s so unfortunate that your own performance --”

“Excuse me?” What the hell was talking about? They had won! Quickly Thad was becoming furious; his efforts to control himself only made his face a deeper red, his fists more tightly clenched.

“Simmer down, son. It’s just that – Well, let me tell you how a scholastic sports program is implemented. It facilitates the social development of young men –and women– as responsible citizens. It keeps them focused, builds their character. Society as a whole is improved. But there’s also another upside.” Dr. Undershaft placed his hands on the desk in front of him and made a little church and steeple out of his fingers. “In a way, having a dynamic–a successful– season for our teams helps the school in so many ways. We have a very, very good relationship with the East Hogwash community. This enables us to court –and nurture – sports boosters, folks who very, very generously support our athletic programs.”

An ancient, oft-told joke about “athletic supporters” jumped into Thad’s head. “Forgive me, Sir, I don’t see where you’re going with this.”

“Well, we like to have our student athletes support our teams as well. I don’t mean just by showing good sportsmanship and playing well, but by being boosters in their own right.”

Thad wondered what all this had to do with him. “I still don’t understand. Sorry.”

“ My God! Are you that stupid?” Dr. Undershaft had been rumored to have a long but explosive fuse, and Thad swore that he could almost hear it sizzle. “Let me put it this way– back when they still taught World History instead of Global Studies, students used to be taught about the French Revolution. During the Reign of Terror, a citizen could be sent to the Guillotine just for lack of enthusiasm.” Letting loose with a resigned sigh, he announced, “Perhaps the video is worth a thousand words.”

Undershaft swivelled in his chair and clicked a remote connected to a DVR and a TV screen the size of a dumpster. He didn’t have to punch anything; the video came on instantly. It was a clip of NewsChannel15's News At Eleven from the previous Friday.

“-lutely right, Biff. “ Shouting into his mike, the announcer was all but drowned out by the sounds of screaming, cheering fans. Behind him, a handful of middle school kids shouted and bounced, mugged at the camera, and flashed index fingers signifying that they (by proxy) were Number One. In order to avoid being drowned out, the announcer’s voice grew louder “The Boars are victorious, defeating the Lake Averill Bobcats, 13-10. With this victory EHHS will be going straight to the regional championships one week from tonight. And here’s the guy who got it done–“ The sportscaster’s arm strayed off camera and when it returned to view, it was gripping the arm of a uniformed football player–“Junior Thad Grabowski! Congratulations, Thad!”

“Oh, yeah. I remember when they taped this, but I never saw the–“

The Principal glared at him. “Shhh!”

“Thad, when your quarterback Jason Noble threw that pass, what was going through your mind? Did you know you were going to receive that ball and carry it a full 30 yards down to the end zone? How does it feel to be the one scoring the winning touchdown?”

In the video, Thad appeared underwhelmed. “The ball happened to come to me and I grabbed it. Then I did what anybody would have done. I ran.”

“Yes, but weren’t you blown away? Weren’t you thrilled that you single-handedly won the game for your teammates? I mean, wasn’t it awesome?”

Thad shrugged his heavily-padded shoulders. “Both teams did their best. Not just me. Uh, every time you win that’s a relief, but we gotta keep things in perspective. I mean, it’s not like this was the ninth inning of the seventh game of the World Series, or anything. It’s not the Super Bowl. It’s just a high school football game. It’s fun, but catching a ball and running down the field isn’t gonna change the world.”

The announcer cleared his throat. “Well! Quite a different perspective from a young man coming off a stunning triumph. Back to you, Biff–“

Cap’n Crunch snapped his remote as if it were a pistol. “Humility is one thing, Thad. It’s another to let down your teammates–“

“Let them down? How?”

“You could’ve shared their joy. Jumped up and down, tossed your helmet up into the air, sung the praises of EHHS. Shown a little enthusiasm!” he exclaimed, shaking his fist into the air. Then in a lower voice: “Instead you minimized their achievement. Put a damper on what might have been their fondest memory of their days here at EHHS. You know, there used to be a thing called School Spirit.” The Principal rubbed his eyes. “Tell me, Thad. I know you won’t be a senior until next year. But have you been looking at any colleges yet?”

“Uh, I’m interested in Poly Tech.”

“Right here in the area? Their entrance requirements are pretty tough. You’ll need really high SAT scores. Need to get your grades up, Son.”

Yeah, like being forced to skip a chem test is gonna help.

“ If you’re hoping for the kind of scholarship that’s hard to get, lots of luck. As far as the other kind-- Oh, wait, they don’t really have a football program over at Poly Tech, do they?” Dr. Undershaft scribbled something on a piece of paper.

“Guess not. They’re more into hockey.”

“Oh, right. Right. Well, unless you’re good on the ice, you probably should write off any chance for an athletic scholarship. Anywhere. As of now, you’re off the football team. Now go back to class.”

In his own childhood, Thad had believed every word of the stories his father used to tell him. As he got older, Thad gradually caught on to the fact that these supposedly biographical anecdotes were most likely apocryphal. Still, all the way back upstairs, he remembered his father’s booming voice telling him another one. “So the coach calls us all into the locker room. He gives us all the usual crap about teamwork, with the old chestnut about ‘there’s no “i” in team.’ Then he looks at me and says, ‘And there’s no “u” in it either, Grabowski.’ “

Maybe Thad had inherited his lack of enchantment over sports from his father, if there were such a gene. Even so, that very evening he saw his father parked in front of the tube. As always, he cursed the incessant commercials, the egregious calls by the on-field officials, the asinine play-by-play commentators, the overpaid, ineffectual players, but every time Monday Night Football was on, his father watched without fail.

Poor Thad. What a weird, twisted world he lives in though. Auntie, Thad's meeting with the principal was very amusing. This seemed to this reader to be mostly a comic piece- though certainly there are those athletes who peak and then descend into obscurity, and that's a sad tale. The elements of schadenfreude are really effective. And, of course, your way with language lent it a bit of weight and polish.

J

Blog Entries
    Vitai Lampada: Sir Henry Newbolt

"And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
    Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
    But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote
    "Play up! play up! and play the game!" "

As a satire I can't help feeling that this piece is a little over extended, but The writing is always worth reading from Auntie.

I have a horrible feeling that there may be less humourous satire in this piece than observational appreciation though. These days the key to success seems almost exclusively reserved for those who blow their own trumpets most effectively. Certainly on this side of the pond, the culture of celebrity means nothing to do with team spirit or civic duty counts for much. It's all about publicity and drawing attention to one's self. Why else would people like Peter Andre and Katy Price even register on the public's radar.

Good fun Auntie and keep up the good work.

Live and be well - H

Blog Entries

response to story

You can't always take risks with writing. Or just maybe, since this was a revision and all, the risks you took at first to write it got smoothed over and it seemed to you, at least, less risky, as the piece progressed.

It's a charming and imaginative piece, and the writing makes it all so plausable, we don't question its credibility for a second. I enjoyed it, risks or no risks!

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Jack of Hearts, Hawkman, and Steven for "tackling" this.

Haha, that was pretty groan-worthy Auntie. You keep writin' 'em, we'll keep readin' 'em.

J

Blog Entries

"Presence"

{Author's note: After acting upon the advice of the astute replies below, I have changed the opening paragraph slightly. In fact, I'm doing it a second time tonight! Thanks so much!}

Presence

On a mild day, the long walk was no picnic, but on an evening as cold as this one it was a penance. Arriving at the edge of the all-but-deserted stretch of former farmland was a relief but no blessing. The light from Jamie’s lonely little outpost was so far away it was faint. Leave it to him to pick such a far off spot rather than a more convenient place closer to the road. Well, at least it wasn’t snowing.

As Erin trudged across the ground, no longer muddy but not yet completely frozen, she fretted over her designer boots and how they’d weather the trek. They were last year’s pair, but acquiring the latest fashionable footwear this time around was, of course, out of the question.

Not that she could see her feet all that well in the absence of any usable light. She tripped over flattened cardboard signs, stray blankets, and the assortment of debris that the less committed participants had left behind. Arriving at last at the so-called entrance to her brother’s tent, she yanked aside the flimsy vinyl flap.

“Je-SUS! Warn people much?”

“Della made me bring you this. Here.” Erin thrust the brown paper bag and thermos into his face.

Jamie held the paper bag close to his nose for an exaggerated sniff. “Let me guess. Pastrami on rye and a double hot toddy?”

“Try half-a-can of Manhattan clam chowder and peanut butter on white.”

“Mmm–surf and turf. My fave!” Jamie unscrewed the cap from the thermos and took a gulp. “Ugh! Cold again. You must’ve taken your sweet time getting here.”

“You should be glad somebody’s bringing you something, you ingrate.”

“Okay, you did your good deed for today. So long.” Then, after noticing that Erin wasn’t making a move to leave, he added, “You can take Mom’s thermos back as soon as I’m done.”

“Huh?”

“I’m eating as fast as I can.”

“ What’s the difference? Della and Jim are going to–-“

“--You call them that to their faces?”

“Sure! All the time.”

“You’re a lying sack of –“ Finishing the last drop of the soup, he tightened the top of the thermos and reattached the cup. He handed it to her with a flourish, as if to mock an award presentation. “Congratulations! Don’t say I never gave you anything.” After crunching up the wrapper from his sandwich, he threw it into the paper bag and rolled it all up into a tight little cylinder. “You can have this, too. Now, if there’s no further business, I repeat: so long.”

Erin, nevertheless, wasn’t budging. Occupying the last available free space in the one-man tent, she looked as if she were there for–if not the long haul– the time being. Even in the stingy light of the battery-powered lantern, Jamie could make out the expression on his sister’s face. She looked as if someone had stolen all of her pickles and then forced her to swallow a barrel of the brine.

“Okay, Sourpuss. What crawled up your butt this time?”

With her arms folded tightly across her chest, Erin shook her head before completely turning away.

“Oh, come on! How can you be pissed at me? I haven’t been home for weeks!”

She didn’t want to look at him but couldn’t resist. “Yeah, right! Like everything in the whole world is about you. It’s all about Jamie, all the time!” She stifled a sob, adding, “If you must know, it’s Della and Jim. They totally don’t get it. ”

Jamie pretended to yawn. “So what else is new?”

“Christmas is gonna suck this year, and they couldn’t care less.”

Her brother laughed–as the old verse went– in spite of himself. “ Is that what this is all about? Christmas? What are you-- six?”

“I mean–it doesn’t faze them in the least how I feel. Right after New Year's I gotta go back to school, and everybody’s gonna have new outfits, new Smart Phones, new everything and I’m gonna have squat.”

At that point, the germ of Erin’s anger had become viral, instantly finding a new host in Jamie. “You selfish little brat! What the hell’s the matter with you?” With each syllable, the decibels rose, reaching a level nearly rivaling that of the howling wind. “Listen to yourself! Did you forget that Dad’s been out of work almost a year or that Mom’s hours have been cut down to practically nothing? Where did you think the money for your– your toys–is supposed to come from? Santa Claus?”

Erin looked ready to stand up and stamp her feet, but in the cramped little pup tent there was really no room to do so without running the risk of ripping through the plastic roof. As it was, the top her head was a fraction of an inch of scraping the pliable ceiling. “I knew you wouldn’t understand. No one does!”

Jamie grabbed her arms and glared straight at her. “No! You’re the one who doesn’t understand! Don’t you know what the world is like? How the gazillionaires at the top are ruining it for the rest of us? Why the hell do you think I’ve been staying out here all this time?”

“Because you’re an geek, Jamie! The entire school is laughing at all of you guys.”

“Well, that’s no skin off my –hey, what’s that?” A pattern of two bright spheres was sweeping across the tent’s thin walls. “Headlights!” Sinking to his knees, he opened the door flap slightly in order to stare out into the darkness.

“It’s way too early for Della and Jim.”

“What are you talking about?” In the distance Jamie saw a vehicle with a revolving beacon, a red light not found on any mythical reindeer. “Oh, crap! Dunkin’ Donuts must’ve closed early tonight.”

Within seconds, the siblings saw a large hand pull back the tent opening in a manner more cautious than intrusive. Then came the command, sung in a genial baritone, “Come out, come out whoever you are!”

Initially hesitant to confront the cop, Jamie eventually exited to be greeted by a high-powered flashlight that temporarily blinded him. When his sister followed, Jamie felt like throwing her into the slammer himself-- for aggravated stupidity.

“Oooh, I see you have company!”

“Believe me, Officer, it’s not what it looks like. Anyway, she was just leaving.”

“Which is exactly what you should do, Son.”

Oh, why did he have to go through all this, over and over again? “The owner gave her permission, Sir. In fact, there‘s a signed statement from Mrs. Corelli on file with--“

“Yeah? Well, good for her.” The policeman’s breath made small puffs that hung in the triangle of the light in front of him before rising and dissipating into the frigid night. “Look around, son. You see anybody else out here? Where are your comrades, your colleagues, hmm?” He made a grand sweeping motion with his arm, like a real estate agent showing off a slow-moving piece of property. “I mean, nobody doubts your sincerity. Your commitment. But why don’t you give yourself a little break? It’s cold as hell out here.” A mechanical squawk came from the direction of the police vehicle, spewing out clouds of exhaust from the rear, the double beacons illuminating the abandoned grounds in front, and the red light still twirling on top.

For a brief moment, the cop turned to look at his unit, and then back to Jamie. “Nobody’s gonna mind if you took a little time off to spend with your family. Come on. It’s Christmas Eve. Go home.”

Jamie and Erin watched him walk all the way back to his car. Finally, Erin announced, “Let’s go.”

“You go. I’m staying.”

“Are you nuts? You heard what that cop said. You want to spend Christmas Eve in jail?”

“On what charge? Besides, he won’t be back.”

“Whatever. But you gotta go anyway. I wasn’t supposed to tell you, but Della and Jim are gonna pick you up at quarter after eleven to take you to Midnight Mass. It was supposed to be a surprise.”

“Ugh.”

“I told them you haven’t taken a shower since–forever! But Jim said, ‘Nobody’ll notice. Everybody in St. Hilarious will be already stinkin’ of booze.”

“Very funny. “

“He’s a pisser, isn’t he? “ Erin began to shake a little, but not from the cold–more like a physical effort to suppress an involuntary emotion. “No wonder Della always makes us all sit in the back of the church. Remember last year on the way home from church when he –“ Suddenly the spasm won the battle, forcing Erin to laugh so hard couldn’t finish the sentence. It was only until she managed to regain control of herself that she added, “Come with us, Jamie. You know you want to."

“Forget it. I’m not going.”

“Oh, for Chrissakes, Jamie! Sometimes you can be so–stubborn!”

“What you fail to understand-- what everybody fails to understand,--is what we’re all doing out here. “ One more time with the Recitation, long ago learned by rote. He cleared his throat. “The world’s flipped upside down, and it has to be set right. We can’t presume to change it ourselves, but in our own quiet little way we can make a statement. I'm doing this for the love of mankind.”

“But what about the love of Mom and Dad?”

“Huh? Ten minutes ago you were ready to hang them in effigy.”

“I know.” Erin untied her scarf, retied it in a knot under her chin, and swung the two hanging parts over her shoulders. After putting on her gloves, she picked up the thermos and the rolled up paper bag and started heading over the field.

Jamie ducked back into the tent momentarily to grab the lantern. Back outside he held it up in a rough attempt to light her way as well as his ability to watch her trudge across the partially-frozen, bumpy terrain. Erin was the type of girl who never allowed any kind of hat get anywhere near her hair, but now the hood of her jacket covered her head –maybe not begrudgingly so, given the cold. She was smart enough to keep her head down to avoid the onrush of the frigid gusts, but it was difficult to look at her and not think of a lamb who’d wandered away from its flock.

“Erin! Wait up.” Abandoning his earnest fortress, with the plastic structure billowing in the icy wind, Jamie caught up with her. “I’ll walk you back.”

All the way across the field, nobody said anything, and even by the time they'd reached honest-to-god pavement, the only sound was the occasional vehicle going one way or the other on Route 20. At last, Erin broke the silence. “It’s really clear out tonight,” she said while pointed roughly northward. “Look at all that pink in the sky. Is that the Northern Lights?”

“Hell, no! We’re way, way too far south. Not only that, the Northern Lights have a greenish glow, not pink. You must be hallucinating. ” Despite his doubts, he stole a glance. “Oh, you idiot. That’s the lights from the parking lot up at East Hogwash Shoppers Plaza.”

The night sky, however, still offered its wonders. There may not have been a visible Aurora Borealis nor a distinctive phenomenon prominently shining in the East. But in every direction there were vast swaths of infinite stars, each one bestowing upon the earth its sparkling gift.

[This ^^ is Auntie's holiday story for 2011. Previous seasonal postings include:

O Holly Nite
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=31124

The Girl in Balthazar's Window
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=30910

Christmas Morning Play by Play
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=40499

Your Holiday Call is Important to Us
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=30999

The Holiday Special That Almost Wasn't
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=40457
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 12-21-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    A topical and seasonal tale from Auntie, the Herodotus of East Hogwash I was a little unsure whether the policeman was exaggerating when he states, there's nobody left but you, to the pocket revolutionary, because said revolutionary still continues to say "we" in his self justification of stubborness, but I suppose Jamie sees himself as part of something bigger.

Incidentally, I've seen the Aurora as far South as South Devon. It was a few years ago now, during a period of intense solar activity - and it was bright red.

Thoroughly enjoyed this piece. I hope you enjoy your Chrimbo in warmth and fellowship!

Live and be well - H