Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Auntie's Anti-fiction

Inexplicably Undiscovered
    next door to the lady in the vinegar bottle
    Blog Entries

Auntie's Anti-fiction

Please note:
    The following thread, "Auntie's Anti-fiction," contains several short stories. When commenting on an individual story, please indicate the title of the work in your reply.
    [Here begins a thread of short fiction by yours truly. Since the selections which I plan to post are more or less "self-contained," there is no issue with continuity. Please feel free to offer any comments, suggestions, criticisms and veiled threats (I kid, I kid) after each selection as is your wont. Thank you, and thanks for indulging me.]

A Savage Beast Maybe with Golden Hair

Scattered about the tiny office were containers of various amounts of liquid, which at one time could be called “coffee,” stacks of print-outs describing incident reports from the wild and inter-department memos from the Commissioner’s office, as well as spoor samples encased in plastic sandwich bags and fragments of diverse specimens of flora and fauna from nearly every region in the state which should have never been removed from the lab in the first place. Usually such debris was so much a part of the workplace culture that it was ignored, both by the staff as well as employees of the independent service who came to clean but never touched it -- not out of squeamishness but to avoid disturbing evidence of an investigation or a field study in progress; it was right there in the contract. That morning, however, the two state workers scurried about gathering up every paper cup and packet of stapled pages and depositing them all into a huge plastic bag without the semblance of regard for mandatory recycling.

The impromptu housekeeping arose after a colleague down in the Capital had texted a heads-up that a spur-of-the-moment inspection was imminent. The suit, like the two workers, was a civil servant, but on a much-higher pay tier, naturally-- what’s more, way up in the food chain, just a couple notches under the mighty Commissioner himself.

“Cripes! “ one of the two workers griped. “It’s bad enough we’re up here in the middle of nowhere, hassling with the snow and the wind, and sweatin’ through budget cuts every stinkin’ year! Now we’re being harassed. Don’t they have anything better to do down in –Oh, —!“ Hissing a string of expletives, he tossed the trash bag aside and slammed himself in front of the dusty computer screen. “We gotta delete Minesweeper and Avatar5!”

His co-worker shrugged. “Eh, so what? We can reload later –Oh, crap!” He slapped his own forehead. “The files! They haven’t been updated since –Oh, man! The Lists! Quick – box turtle– does that go under 'endangered' or 'threatened'? "

Two pairs of eyes seldom blinked as one left hand moved the mouse as diverse species of filenames flickered by: “Acidrain,” “Karnerbluebutterfly,” “trillium,” “whitenosesyndrome,” “zebramussels.” Another folder contained inter-department communiques, the printed duplicates of which already littered the room. “You can dump most of that stuff, Mack. ‘Procedures for blah-blah-blah. Health and safety.’ Nobody bothers with that stuff.”

“I don’t know, Dude– it could be the first thing they look for, we better check it!”

For the first time in several years, the file was opened, the contents of whichread as follows:

115-40 (Rev. 2001)
    STATE DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION AND
    THE ENVIRONMENT

Protocols for Health and Safety

1.0 It is mandated that the SDCE headquarters located the State Capital and all satellite and field offices and research facilities maintain this description of the following health and safety regulations, and a copy of such be accessible in a prominent place.

“See? I told ya. Same old, same old.”

Both of the workers could hear the sound of a vehicle entering the long gravel driveway. Each retrieved a previously abandoned trash bag and in their last-minute scrambling, left the computer alone.

1.1 It is further required that these protocols are maintained and updated on a regular basis //////////
    i could ask myself ‘what was i thinking’ but thinking had nothing to do with it. guess if a brain shrinks the thinking capacity would shrink along with it but what they call the reptilian part that controls emotions is working in apple pie order. i remormer apple pie and warm baths and music but i do not miss machines even the one that brings music. i can still make words on this machine but i cannot type. i have to hit the letters with this stick thing oh thats rite it is a pencil in my mouth like humans who are quadripeliacs and crippled cannot hit two letters at the same time so i can not make the letters big. i saw words with pictures when i was little about a cockroach who typed by jumping on the letters and he could not make them big too. why do I remormer that this is selective mormory but i cannot do the selecting myself. i cant come up with most of the things like the right word and i cant forget the things i want to lose. there was a word i heard when people wanted me i think it was lou.

last time walking uprite was the eve of st hubert stubborn fax that strangely stay. still living inside then the den was in a big box that had many dens where others lived. there was a big hole in the wall the size of a mans fist alpha male maybe. he was all abusive and a big scratch on my cheek a black eye. he finally stopped and yelled no more except all snorting and wheezing. quickly then i awoke the little ones all sleepy and confuzed and put them in his machine that moves and took them to the female who had given me my own birth. then in the machine my back started to hurt a 1000 hurts or maybe one monster hurt 1000 times. my back bent over like a boulder on top of it. could not make the machine move but could move my legs and arms. next i was on the ground creeping on what people say all 4s.

as i said i used to have fingers but they left me that night in the second month of the cold season nervember that is what people called it. what used to be hands made marks in the dirt and later the snow. i could still hear maybe better than before but the ears were different then now with points on top of my head. couldn’t stay there
    not with the lights and the people and the 100s of machines going back and forth some with big boxes on their backs and frightening roars

north i went do north where my instink told me there would be less of these things that suddenly put fear in me . north I went along the wide sticks where the long machines would move with a clacking sound that tickled my ears. the sun came up got dim went down again and nights and days came and went one after the other. a vicious hunger gnawed at me and water dripped from my mouth. along the gray wide strip of hard ground there were crushed and crimpled things and a round box that had inside it things that were once birds but now crusted with hard bread. from the old life i remormed these and remormed as well howling how the round box came without things to eat them with and crinkly and crimpled sheets to wipe off my mouth. now in my ravinusness i crunched down on all of it with my sharp teeth which cracked and crushed the bones.

there was another hunger - another instink compeling me to hunt for smaller weaker things chase them down and devour them like i devoured the trash along the along the road yes that is what they called it the road. one day i saw a small thing with ears bigger and more pointy than mine and two hungers nearly overpowered me.
    the chase becan begin began and the creature ran faster and faster. here i was keeping up and had the poor thing cornered. i sprang forward and stopped mid lunge no i would not eat him i could not no

north i kept going north up the big hills, mountains i guess they call ‘em. night came just as i came to the top and the round thing in the sky showed itself big and golden. all of a suddin i wanted to sing I wanted to give it a song from the earth but i opened my mouth and not a sound came from my throat not an ooo or an owwwwll nothing came

standing there on the peek my long nose tilted upward looking at the tiny sparkling things and the big round – moon that was it, the moon and the stars – i refleckted about this strange change in me and wunnered why I was stuck between these two whirlds what had i done that this should happen to me

that st huberts eve so long ago . the alpha male it was the machines the machine he sits in front of to look at pictures that move and make sounds and the machine I used to suck up dust did to his machine only by axcident that made him rage. how his words tortured me you want to clean then clean yourself up you ugly beast he said. i cant stan the site of you and your constandt demans on me you want to go live out in the country go - go and take those screaming brats with you. then he broke things like I broke his machines except i did it by axcident until he drank the yellow stuff in the brown bottle and fell down on the couch and fell deeply asleep

oh i miss my pups and their softest of skin and their eyes all sparking even when wet with tears and their sweet voices gentle as the autumn sun. they would love the country these places where those who sniff the grass and hide so shy between the trees have always lived. while people congregulated to places with the wooden and boxes stuck close together. they stayed with their own kind except for those who heard the song of the moon and saw the gorgeousness of nature in their souls-- do i still have a soul i wunner. more and more machines came and dug the dirt and took away our feeding places . til those of us were forced from our dens and came down from the hills into their back yards and their rolling green fields where they ride around in little machines to attack a tiny white round thing with skinny sticks. and if they see us they get all panicky and reach for the firearm or a steel blade maybe a weapon blest by st hubert

and oh how they hate us, and imbrew their whelps with fear of us – they say we are big and we are bad and we will swallow your grandmother and blow your house in. never mind that one of us nursed the babe who grew up to find– found that city – that is the word city- of Romulus. never mind that one of us has never harmed one of their own kind in this land ever never

yet we are forced to wander and drift as i do. until i came upon this square building made of rock in a little field between the woods next to a —a--road made of little stones where outside were boxes made of metal where smaller creatures whimpered and moaned. last night i jumped thru the window and found the machine and the pencil and made the words to tell this tale of how i changed and did not no how the change came without a warning and that if it happened to me it can happen to anybody even in the city. I am witting this just in case somebody wants to no whatever happened to the she-person with yellow hair who people used to call lou

“ He’s here!”

In a swooping motion one of the workers clicked the mouse until a message came up: “Are you sure you want to delete this file?” and he clicked it again.
    Last edited by Niamh; 04-28-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    So this is a frame story? Framed by a protocol? To be honest Auntie, I'm a little confused. And it doesn't seem to have a natural ending. I assume there will be a continuation.

My suggestion would be to introduce the characters in more detail before going into the protocol. I can't identify with any of the characters. I think a reader needs to make that connection before shifting into a different section of the story.

It could be me Auntie. I have a hard time reading extended pieces on the computer screen.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

I'm strongly in agreement with Virgil on this one, Auntie. You have unreasonable expectations if you think a reader can just pick this up the way it's written, and make any sense out of it.

It was fine until the person called lou started talking.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Virgil;800853]

I can't identify with any of the characters. [QUOTE]

Gosh, Virgil -- that's a damn good thing. If you, or anyone
    else truly were a lycanthrope, I'd be shocked. Shocked!

This little piece of stream-of-consciousness arose from an
    idea that haunted me this past Halloween week. The notion in popular culture has him (as it's invariably a male) still walking upright, still basically human, with his (or "its") brain remaining fully functional. As a matter of fact, the only feature in this creature as portrayed by Lon Chaney Jr. (and his latter-day successors in filmdom) that is remotely lupine is growing extra hair at a rapid rate. What's most mind-boggling thing is that he can transform himself back and forth at will. None of that ever made sense to me--

--not that we should expect folklore and mythology to adhere to strict rules of logic. Still -- didn't Aristotle say
    that a "plausible impossiblity" is better than an "improbable possibility"? For sure, the plight of poor "lou" is impossible, but I wanted to make her condition slightly less implausible.

Hence, retaining some of the "momory" of her human life,
    now apparently lost. Also, she remembers some words, not
    all. When her brain shrinks down to the size of that of a
    lower mammal, it is would be arbitrary which specific brain cells would be lost.

She has to get her story out somehow. So out in the wild
    she gets into the conservation field office and goes to the
    "machine." She can't "type" with paws, hence uses a
    pencil in her mouth, and hence not being able to use the shift key, or two "letters" at the same time. And
    come on, would it be "plausible" to expect a lower animal
    to "remormer" the rules of punctuation?

"lou" could have used any file in the computer's hard drive. That it was the file with the "safety protocols" was just random, a joke that "nobody ever looks at those things."

I stole the title from a line in this powerful pem by Allen Tate :
    http://personal.centenary.edu/~dhavird/Tate.html#Wolves

and just by chance, I came across this quotation from Bartolomeo Vanzetti, who you may "remormer" from history, for the other half of a pair of immigrants, both of whom were unfairly executed on trumped up charges of robbery and murder. (This statement was disallowed by
    the presiding judge. Katzman was the prosecuting attorney.)

"Sacco's name will live in the hearts of the people and in their gratitude when Katzman's and yours bones will be dispersed by time, when your name, your laws, institutions, and your false god are but a deem remomoring of a cursed past in which man was wolf to the man."
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 11-06-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=AuntShecky;801076][QUOTE=Virgil;800853]

I can't identify with any of the characters.

Gosh, Virgil -- that's a damn good thing. If you, or anyone
    else truly were a lycanthrope, I'd be shocked. Shocked!
    When I said "identify" I meant engage.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anti's anti-fiction

I too was puzzled, never for a moment entertained the notion of a lycanthrope and wonder, even now, if I had, on what grounds might I have empathized with her/him/it... I hate to say it but I read on mostly because of my respect for you and because I hate to feel stupid and kept hoping that any moment I might get it, but I never did...

Blog Entries
    Thank you for reading this, Prince. I have a question for
    which I'm not sure that I have an answer:
    Here's the question, more or less a rhetorical one:

In a work of modern or contemporary fiction, is it really necessary for the reader to empathize and/or identify with the character? For instance, when we read "Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," do we align ourselves with both, one, or none of the two personae? Could there be a quality or a flaw in
    one of the characters which we recognize in ourselves? What about situations-- has the reader ever been in circumstance beyond his or her control?

In addition to subject matter, what about forms and experimental fiction ?

Blog Entries

Jackpot of Jeopardy

(Sigh.)
    I guess it's time to switch genres, or as the starlets say when they're guests on late night talk shows --"JOHN-rahs."

Jackpot of Jeopardy

Anybody who knows me knows that I'm really a good egg, somebody who goes out of her way to avoid trouble, even though trouble has this nasty habit of hunting folks down. I'm a gal, who, if she had her druthers, would be puttering around the Rudbeckia and the Echinacea, putting up a few dozen jars of apple butter, playing with her grandchildren. Now don't go thinking I'm some doddering old fool – I've “lived,” if you know what I mean. Rather than Enna Jetticks I'm more likely to be wearing Adidas (granted, a pair I'd bought for half-price at Target), and you'd never catch me wielding a crochet hook. Still, I'd be the last person you'd ever suspect to be held captive in an abandoned warehouse and tied to a chair with a twosome of goons holding pistols to my face.

But there I was, just like some stoolie in a straight-to-DVD crime movie. Not only was I shaking in my cross-trainers, I was also wondering if my adamant belief that I'd never need adult diapers might have been a little premature. Don't get me wrong – I still had control of my physical and mental faculties, but the thugs were making inroads.

“Look, we can make it easy for ya,” one of them said. “All ya gotta do is tell us who set you up.”

At that point, I didn't know what the hell they were talking about. Even if I did know, I couldn't tell them anything, not with half a roll of duct tape plastered across my mouth. It was the super-strong kind too, not the flimsy stuff you get at the dollar store. One thing I was sure of – either the crooks had the wrong woman or this was an extremely unfortunate case of misunderstanding.

It’s funny the strange things that go through your mind when it looks as if your number is up. It didn't occur to me to wonder how the kids would orchestrate my funeral or whether I'd reunite with my Rob in the next world. All I could think of was the look on the face of my next door neighbor knowing I'd topped her, for once. Audrey’s bragging rights about her self-proclaimed “brushes with danger” were nothing compared to this. Hey, Haughty Audrey, so you sold off your Enron stock just two weeks before it went down the tubes. So in 1985 you canceled at the last minute a cruise which ended in a tragedy. The lead story on News Center 12 and on page one of the Gazette are both about me. Watch it, read it, and weep.

Let me back up a bit. I'd saved up a couple of bucks and thought I'd splurge it on myself. So on a beautiful October afternoon I signed on for a bus trip going down to Foxhill Run Resort and Casino. Why not? I thought. Live a little. Even if I don't win a dime, at least the drive will be pleasant and I'll get to see the gorgeous foliage.

It was bright inside the casino; the rows of soft overhead lights blended with the autumn sun streaming showers of gold through the huge windows. It was too early in the day for the floor show, but a nice-looking young piano player added atmosphere with a medley of Sinatra standards. Since it was a weekday, the place wasn't super-crowded, and the croupiers and card-dealers mostly stood around the tables with little to do. The slot machines,though, were hopping, singing like cash registers in an outlet store on Washington's Birthday.

There I was, armed with a paper cup full of quarters, wandering up and down the aisles as I looked for a one-armed bandit that didn't already have somebody standing in front of it, inserting coins and yanking the lever at the speed of light. Finally I found an unoccupied slot. A strange feeling descended, bestowing with absolute certainty that this particular slot machine was reserved just for me. It was practically glowing, almost as if it had a neon sign saying “Try me, Laura! ” Well, I thought, far be it from me to spurn opportunity when it hits me in the face. “How little we know,” tinkled the piano tune, as I stepped up, inserted a quarter, and yanked the arm.

What occurred next was a-- well, a miracle – there’s not other word to describe it. To this day, I'm not even really sure what exactly happened. I don't know what kind of symbols had come up – three cherries, three gold bars, or what, but one thing’s for sure, it wasn't a row of lemons, for all kinds of bells, whistles, and sirens went off, and from the ceiling descended huge bunches of balloons as well as a real neon sign that blazed “JACKPOT!!”

Next thing I knew I was surrounded by an entourage of the formerly-bored personnel, including the hunky piano-player and another man who was so expensively dressed that I took him to be the joint’s manager. All of them were patting my back, shaking my hand, congratulating me. Here I was, just a housewife from a backwater town who broke the bank at Foxhill Run.

“Oh my Gosh, I just can't believe it!” I gushed. “I'm gonna faint. I've got to get some air!” I excused myself, telling my benefactors that I needed to step outside for a moment, just to collect myself and let the significance of my sudden good fortune sink in.

Just a few feet from the main entrance, between two healthy young yews, I stood on the decorative gravel and leaned against the fine stonework of the casino’s exterior wall. I hardly exhaled when I felt a beefy hand grab me by my neck and push me forward. Another set of hands threw a black hood over my neck as I was dragged into a vehicle, which sped off the second I was forced into the back seat.

For what seemed to be an eternity, the vehicle drove on and on. The longer we were on the road, the less I was convinced that I was the butt of some kind of joke, or the unwitting star of some prankish reality show. By the time the car stopped and the black hood was removed, it was dark. We were the only ones in a deserted asphalt stretch that was emptier than the parking lot of a fast-food chicken joint the day after Thanksgiving. The two creeps yanked me out of the car and started dragging me toward the cavernous but totally seedy-looking warehouse.

“You're making a big mistake!” I managed to get that out though my mouth was bone-dry and my teeth were chattering like a pair of dice caught in a vacuum cleaner bag. “I have to be back on the bus by six. Seriously.”

“That ship has sailed, Lady,” one of the goons said.

The other one laughed. “Yeah. That perticulah train has left da station.”

“No, you don't understand!” I pled. The folks back at the Southern Tier Senior Citizens organized this trip. They'll be doing a head count. They'll miss me –“

“I'll give ya a shot upside your head, ya old coot. Now, be a good girl and tell us who you're working for.”

“What are you talking about? I don't work for anybody. Cripes, I'm lucky I can get Social Secur–“ Whack! In the form of a stinging slap, the forewarned shot upside my head came down. It was more from pain than fear, but involuntarily and with a force I didn't know I had and at a decibel level I hadn't know I could reach, I screamed. Hence, the ropes and the duct-tape gag.

“We'll take it back off once you're ready to talk, and you will, if you know what’s good for ya, sister!” Fat chance, when I hadn't the foggiest idea how I had gotten into this implausible mess.

I heard a bizarre ring tone that sounded like “The Good Ship Lollipop.” The person calling on the thug’s cell phone was, apparently, the Boss.

“No, they did! The slot was all rigged the night the joint was closed for the carpet cleaning. Yeah, it was set for Number 10,000. Would I lie to you?. . .No, I was looking out. The count was and . . .how the hell do I know where Eddie was? Look, Brad, I wasn't the one who dropped the ball. Anyway, the count was 9999, it was all clear. I don't know. I must've turned my back for a second and then she stepped up to it. . .I know, I know. We think so too. We'll have her singin’ like a canary. Okay.”

The thug returned the cellphone to his pocket, lit up a cigar, and positioned his face maybe two inches away from mine. “Listen, Honey, he said, “ I like ya. You want to be back playin’ Bingo with all your little gray-haired pals, don't cha? Just tell us who axed you to go play that perticulah slot machine at that perticulah time, huh?”

His accomplice suggested a more effective method. “Aw, screw it, Lefty. Why don't you just beat it out of the old. . .” He used a “b” word which I'll tell you right now wasn't “biddy.” He then proceeded to rip the duct tape off my mouth. I'm not going to say how exactly how that felt, but if you can imagine a million Band-aid strips ripped off every inch of your skin all at the same time, then you have a millionth of an idea of how excruciating that was.

But the pain didn't deter me from mentally plotting some kind of desperate escape. What was I supposed to do, grab the creep’s cigar and send smoke signals back to the casino? The stooge’s stogie, did, however give me an idea. When watching his beloved football games, my Rob used to tell me, “Laura, the best defense is always a good offense.”

“All right, all right, I'll tell you what I know,” I said. “But first, you've gotta untie me. Otherwise, no deal.” The second the two of them loosened the ropes, I threw my arms up in the air and knocked the cigar out of the creep’s mouth. “Look! Your shoes are on fire!”

I sprang up like a spring in a cheap watch and dashed out the door. Never before had my sneakers gotten such as workout as I ran across the parking lot. You know, they say that “the legs are always the last to go,” but you can imagine my surprise that the old wheels still had some life in them. In that completely unfamiliar neighborhood I ran until I came to a diner. I rushed in, blurted out “Call 911!” and the rest, as they say, is history.

After that, I did get my picture in the paper and was featured on the news (both at 6 and 11) but not as a victim but as – I'm almost embarrassed to say – a heroine. Indictments came down on the small-time racketeer who'd masterminded the plot and the two henchmen who'd kidnapped me. And by the way, not only did I get my original slot machine winnings, I also received a hefty reward for the information leading to the arrest of the criminals. When the all the excitement tapered off, I thought I'd stroll over to Audrey’s in order to share my adventures with her. Her only comment was “Why, Laura, I'm surprised! You? Gambling?” I wanted to reply, “Yeah, gambling, just like you when you play the stock market.” But in the spirit of charity, I let it pass.
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 11-12-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Surely Laura meant to say "the legs are the FIRST to go..."?

A compelling narrative voice but I don't really see what the story amounts to? Maybe I didn't pick up enough about how deep her rivalry with Audrey goes?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=PrinceMyshkin;803982]Surely Laura meant to say "the legs are the FIRST to go..."?

QUOTE]

Nope. When gravity claims every other part of the anatomy, the legs are the LAST to go. (It's a female thing.)

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=AuntShecky;804045]
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceMyshkin View Post
    Surely Laura meant to say "the legs are the FIRST to go..."?

QUOTE]

Nope. When gravity claims every other part of the anatomy, the legs are the LAST to go. (It's a female thing.)
    You understand, I'm sure, that being male I prefer to let you have the last word, but in the context in which you used that phrase, it seemed that she was surprised to find that her legs were still functioning, efficiently, which wouldn't have applied if she expected them to be the last to go?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=PrinceMyshkin;804059]
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntShecky View Post

You understand, I'm sure, that being male I prefer to let you have the last word, but in the context in which you used that phrase, it seemed that she was surprised to find that her legs were still functioning, efficiently, which wouldn't have applied if she expected them to be the last to go?
    She's surprised that her legs work so well when she's running, literally for her life.
    Also, don't read too much into the two offhand references to the neighbor, Audrey, which were supposed to sketch in a couple details about the narrator, and not the main focus of this, a parody of the crime story, with the twist of an unlikely
    protagonist.
    Last edited by AuntShecky; 11-13-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Little Shop of Quarters

[A seasonal tale written several years ago, now revised]

Little Shop of Quarters

For Frank Merchant, the day after Thanksgiving was uncharacteristically sunny, and he had the day off. What more could a guy want?

No better time to take a short drive down to a town he had often visited as a boy. He hadn't been there in years and thought he'd look around. Just for the hell of it.

After all these years, the area hadn't changed much – - although there were quite a few newly-constructed houses on Route 203. He saw the familiar farms, graveyards, and the stately old churches dating back to Colonial times. A glance to the right at Kinderhook Lake rewarded him with an expanse of blue, broken by twinkling glints of reflected sunlight. Geese etched the time-honored victory sign in the sky. A couple of horses were braving the cold to graze in the fields.

Arriving in town, he noticed that the atmosphere on Main Street had changed. The fine old Victorian houses still stood, but they had been repainted and gussied up. The Mom and Pop pharmacy which decades ago had sold him sodas and penny candy had been swallowed up by a strip mall, occupied by high-end outlet stores. The cobblestone street of old had been repaved to accommodate the high performance SUVs and expensive sports cars, parallel-parked along the sidewalks, where their affluent owners leisurely strolled and browsed. A few women carried trendily-dressed infants in a kind of reverse papoose-style; strapped to their mother’s fronts, the tots were not only unable to see where they were going, but not even where they had been. The men swaggered down the sidewalks as if every last one of them owned the place. The charming little community Frank once loved had become gentrified.

Maybe it was only Main Street that had been corrupted. With great anticipation Frank headed down the side street of the building which had once housed the upstairs flat of his relatives, where so long ago he had spent many a happy summer. Even though Frank harbored no illusions that he'd run into anyone he knew--his great-aunt and uncle’s friends had undoubtedly since joined them in the other, unchangeable world –- he was nonetheless relieved to see the structure yet standing. But there was something very odd about the two-family house: on the upper floor the windows were missing their shutters and had been boarded-up. The bottom floor was currently occupied by some sort of retail business. There was a shop window, behind which hung a prominent U.S. flag, the field of blue faded, with only 48(!) stars which, along with the white stripes, were overlaid with a yellow tinge, the red ones currently a pink shade, apparently bleached by several seasons of direct sunlight. The glass in the door was all but obscured by an old Camel sign and an ad for “Pepsi Free.” There was also room for a schedule of hours of the store’s operation : for six of the seven days of the week, the hours were the same: “7 am to 9 pm,” except for the box next to Sunday, clearly marked “Closed.” And to underscore the point, there was another sign under an inverted “V” of string which proclaimed in red: “Come in. We're OPEN.”

When he opened the door, a bell tinkled. For what was supposed to be the biggest shopping day of the year, the joint seemed deserted. Counter after counter and and row after row contained funky merchandise grouped together in a kind of hit or miss logic. A flock of plastic-handled feather dusters sat next to a pyramid of canned beef stew, the tops of the cans themselves covered with a fine grey powder. Bin after bin contained obscure brands of toilet paper, floor wax, toothpaste. There was a large bin of paperback books, haphazardly commingled. A dozen copies of a children’s coloring book -- whose cover featured a cartoon character unknown to any American television network, cable or mainstream -- were nestled under a column of a romance novel, each with the identical cover: clones of a woman with a ripped-bodice each in the arms of an identical black-clad adventurer, his nostrils in full-flare. Mingled among these were a ream of copies of the New Testament printed in a language which Frank took to be Portuguese.

The four walls were covered with plastic bags of various merchandise randomly arranged on pegboard hooks. Tiny bags of hooks and eyes were displayed next to bags of wooden pencils sans erasers. Plastic barrettes and polyester ribbons were suspended next to an assortment of holiday decorations, primarily for Easter. Plastic key chains unceremoniously shared part of the wall with fingernail clippers, and nearby foil-wrapped squares of condoms hung.

There was a gentle tap on Frank's shoulder. “May I help you with something, Sir?” The male voice spoke in perfect English, albeit lightly-seasoned with a foreign accent which Frank couldn't immediately categorize. It reminded him a little of that of Bela Lugosi, or perhaps of Gandhi-- or rather Ben Kingsley’s movie portrayal of him.
    When Frank turned around, he didn't see a cape-clad Dracula nor a religious role model draped in a diaper but a neatly-dressed man.

“No, thank you. I'm just looking.” That was no lie!

“Ah, but perhaps I can interest you in somethings? Everything here is only one qwarter. Wery inexpensive. Good bargains. Good walue!”

The man took Frank’s elbow in a grip that was both gentle and firm. He guided him over to one of the pegboard walls, reached up and plucked down a small plastic bag. The man cupped the object in his palm as if it were a miniature Faberge egg and not a twenty-five cent piece of plastic.

“It’s a compass, see?” Frank indeed saw – the tiny circle behind a slightly-scratched clear plastic lid held a moving arrow, which pointed not to the usual directions of N, S, E, or W but to “up,” “down,” “right,” or “left.” Frank thought it was just a piece of junk, but suitable perhaps as a Christmas stocking stuffer. His nephew might get kick out of it, and, after all, it only cost a quarter. “Vun feature of this, you take this compass vith you, you don’t get lost.”

“No fooling! Can you beat that! “ Frank said. “Okay, I'll take it.”

“Wery good, Sir. And perhaps you vould like a carrying case for it?” Seemingly out of nowhere, the shopkeeper produced a glossy plastic leather-colored change purse. With some trouble, the man unfastened the metal zipper and popped the compass thingie inside. “Vun thing
    about this purse – Vell, I'll let you in on a little secret. Ven you carry this purse, you alvays, alvays have enough money.”

Frank shrugged and nodded. “Can always use that, can't we?”

“Yes! Yes, and another ting we alvays do is vatch our veight. Look.” The man opened his hand to reveal a small foil strip containing four pastel blue discs each under its own tiny plastic dome. “Tese are mints,” he said. “Ven you take one, right before meals, you don't have to vorry about gaining veight. Eat all you vant, no fat.”

“Hmm.” For a second, Frank was tempted to ask the guy if these pills or “mints” had ever garnered FDA approval, but, what the hell, they were only a quarter.

“Wery good, Sir.” He began to walk away, and Frank followed. The shopkeeper lifted up part of a counter, ducked under the board, replaced the panel of the counter and stood behind it. There was no cash register to speak of, and not surprisingly, no mechanism to accommodate credit cards. Instead there was a throwback to the retail world of decades past – - an ancient adding machine, complete with a paper roll and to record and print out past transactions, the shortness of the scroll indicating that they had been few and far between. With long, tapered fingers often described as “artistic,” the shopkeeper totaled up the sale, one by one taping in “Twenty-five, twenty-five, twenty five. Plus tax. That vill be eighty-three cents, please, Sir.”

Blindly feeling through his pockets, Frank came up with three quarters and a nickel. He continued searching for the remaining three pennies. Momentarily he thought of having the man break a dollar, but no cash drawer seemed to be in sight. “Where’s the rest of my change? “ Frank said, “I thought I had some more –“

”Ah!” the shopkeeper said. He unzipped up the little change purse, turned it upside down, and shook it. Three pennies fell out and bounced on the counter. “See? It’s vorking already!” The shopkeeper then whipped open a white plastic bag-- big enough for a pair of jeans and workshirt –and carefully placed Frank’s purchases inside. Settling down in the corner of the bag, the three tiny items seemed like afterthoughts. Taking the bag, Frank rolled it up into a parcel small enough to fit in his pocket. “Okay, thanks, “ he said.

“Have a nice day,” the shopkeeper said, and then inexplicably put his index finger to his lips. The gesture reminded Frank of an illustration of St. Nicholas from a coloring book of The Night Before Christmas which very possibly could have been sold in that very shop back in, say, July.

When he returned to his vehicle, Frank took the bag out of his pocket , so he wouldn't forget that he had it and thus finding an unpleasant surprise the next time he laundered his pants. For some reason, though, he gave the bag a sniff, and noticed that it smelled slightly of iodine. He dumped the three items directly on the passenger seat, rolled up the empty bag – - there was no receipt – and tossed it into a trash bin in front of some trendy coffee shop.

Frank was convinced he knew exactly where he was going as he motored North ; Route 9 blends right into Route 20, the fastest way home. He passed some lovely old houses on the hill on the right, a Grand Union on the left. As he drove onward, a sickening feeling fluttered in the pit of his stomach as gradually the road was becoming more and more unfamiliar, as if he had unwittingly taken a wrong turn. When he found that his car was heading down a bumpy dirt road he knew for sure that he was lost. Suddenly a deer darted out in front of him. He slammed on the brakes and avoided hitting the frightened creature, who by now had reached the woods where it would undoubtedly encounter other dangers, such as trigger-happy hunters.

The all-but-forgotten purchases had tumbled to the floor of the car. Franks picked up the change purse and the tiny strip of pills and put them back in his pocket. When he went to pick up the compass, he noticed that the little arrow was pointing to “up.” What the hell, Frank thought. He had nothing to lose. So he continued up the dirt road. He had gone a mile or so, when he looked down at the compass. It was pointing to “R.”

Frank took his next right, another dirt road, which eventually led him right back to the center of the town he had just left. The arrow still pointed to “R,” so he took the next “right,” which led him over a small bridge over a rushing, rock-dotted creek. The compass pointed “L”, then “up,” and before he knew it, Frank was on Route 203 again, which brought him back to 20, which brought him home.

Later that night, Frank was hungry. After overindulging on the holiday, he was reluctant to gorge himself – - but the remains of the previous day’s sumptuous feast lured him like a siren’s song. It was if the refrigerator was calling out to him. Frank stood up and felt his own stomach to see if the ever-increasing girth had somehow miraculously stopped, and in doing so, he ran his hand across his pocket, and remembered the four pre-dinner mints he had stashed there. He had no idea of how safe those “mints” would be, or their country of origin, or just how long they had sat unsold in that strange little shop. Then again, that magic change purse had worked. So had the low-tech compass. So what did he have to lose? What the hell. Frank pushed plastic dome and the blue pill-like disk popped out the back of the aluminum foil strip. He chewed the thing, which indeed tasted minty, but a little “off,” like the last squeeze from an old tube of toothpaste. Frank went to the mirror and stuck his tongue – - no blue film on his palate. He then went to the kitchen and filled the microwave with paper plates heaped with copious amounts of leftover turkey, and gravy, and dressing, and all the accompanying vegetables. He wolfed it down like a coyote on a fresh kill, finally finishing the heavy meal with a slab of squash pie the size of an old Betamax video tape.

The next morning, Frank hightailed it to the bathroom ; he couldn't wait – to step on the scale. To his delight, Frank discovered that since Thanksgiving, he had not gained a single ounce; if anything, he had actually lost a pound or two. This was something! He raced to back to bedroom, took the second of the four pills, and hastily dressed. Fighting the Saturday morning traffic, he drove to the nearest “Family restaurant” and ordered the Lumberjack’s Breakfast. Having polished that off, he ordered the Hunter’s Special. When he finished that, he figured it was enough for now, even though he didn't feel bloated or anything. As a matter of fact, he felt like a billion bucks. Even more so, when he went to pay the check and found he was a dollar short – until he opened the change purse and four quarters bounced out.

On Sunday, he repeated the process. This time he felt like a trillion bucks. This was something, really, really something. These mints could plant the seeds of a dietary revolution. Imagine being able to eat everything you wanted and not gain a pound. It was the American Dream come true!

The storms in Frank’s brain kicked into cyclones. Maybe the concept could be imported to all of those starving Third World Countries – maybe it could be reconfigured to work in reverse – so that you could never, ever eat anything, and in the throes of a famine, you'd always feel full! But that wouldn't be a problem, anyway – with those magic change purses – - just mass produce those and ship ‘em all over the globe. Everybody, everywhere would finally and always have enough money to buy food! And if they lost their way to the market, they'd have those compasses to guide them.

“Holy crap! “ Frank said. “I'd be the World’s Greatest Humanitarian. They'll put me on the cover of Time, just like Bill Gates.” All he needed to do was convince that fabulous shopkeeper to become his business partner.

Even though they had been idle for years, the wheels inside Frank's heat wouldn't stop turning. After the sleepless Sunday night, he called his boss to tell him he'd be a little late, and then wasted no time heading back down to a certain town in Columbia County.

After parking his car in front of where the Mom and Pop pharmacy used to be, Frank jogged down the side street, and in his haste did not notice that the slippery material of his change purse enabled it to bounce out of his pocket, roll over to the curb, and fall into a sewer. He did notice some construction equipment blocking the street. When Frank approached the site of the little shop, his stomach again got the queasy, sinking feeling. Where the little shop of quarters used to be was now a vacant lot, the center of which was occupied by a huge backhoe, its serrated maw in mid-bite.

“What the –? Where’s the?” Frank scratched his head in confusion. Maybe he had lost his way again, had taken a wrong turn. With shaking hands, he reached in his pocket for the compass, which he immediately dropped. Before he could turn to pick it up, he heard a crunching sound.

Frank turned and looked up at the hard-hatted head of a burly construction worker. Then he looked down to see the broken bits of the magic compass under a heavy-booted foot.

“Street’s closed!” The construction worker said. “Sorry, buddy, but you'll have to move it along.”

“Uh, what happened to that store? It was just here on Friday!” How could a whole shop totally disappear over the weekend?

The construction worker looked at Frank as if he were an unlabeled unrecognizable Thanksgiving leftover. “Huh? What stores? Just turn back on Main Street. They got plenty o’ stores. No stores here.”

That was for sure. The fantastic shop was nowhere to be seen, gone without warning. No Closing Sales, no “Everything must go!” signs, not even the tell-tale hint of soaped-up windows.

“ As I said, you've got to like beat it, Sir.”

"Jeez, who starts a construction project this time of year?" Frank muttered as headed back to his car. By the time he reached the hoity-toity Main Street, he became philosophical – - after all, what had he expected? It was unrealistic to think for that guy could stay in business where nothing cost more than a quarter in a town populated by self-absorbed gentry folks who wouldn't dream of purchasing anything unless it had a three-figure price tag.

On the one hand, Frank still was in possession of that last blue mint. Who needed that strange guy? Frank could fly solo: take the mint to a chemist, have it analyzed, and then he'd be just a patent away from billions!

On the other hand, he could put the pill in a very safe place for use next Thanksgiving.

Aw, what the hell.

Blog Entries
    "Aw, what the hell" indeed! I was enchanted all the way through and ABSOLUTELY mystified a) by the strange turn of events on the street and b) by what his decision is...

You've REALLY done it this time, sister!

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Prince, but even though it's been "revised" I don't think it's as good as it could have been because -- all together now -- it doesn't take risks.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast