Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: The Signifigance of the Werewolf

The Signifigance of the Werewolf

The Werewolf to me represents humankind's fear that their essential animal insticts may take over. The fear is really a reflection on the horror which some people feel when faced with some of the gruesome things humans have done. Behind these fears is the knowledge that these baser instincts are necessary for everyday survival. Humans are the ultimate control-freaks and we shudder at the Idea of losing the loose concepts we call 'Logic', 'Rationality', and 'Order' and therefore doing what is natural of any creature. Werewolves shouldn't be considered monsters; they are essentially us giving in to what our instincts tell us to do.
    The only thing worse than the thought that it may all come tumbling down is the thought that we may go on like this forever
    -Violet('Feed' by M.T. Anderson)-

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've always enjoyed a ripping story of Lycanthropy. And I do think that they represent an aspect of the human condition: a wild social order. I'd actually argue against the idea that wolves or lycanthropes are illogical -- they're pack animals governed by a strict logic and order. If anything, the idea of a Lycanthrope suggests a primitive order as a basis for the other social structure that ordinary humans use to organize their time and their relationships with each other.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Quote Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
    I've always enjoyed a ripping story of Lycanthropy. And I do think that they represent an aspect of the human condition: a wild social order. I'd actually argue against the idea that wolves or lycanthropes are illogical -- they're pack animals governed by a strict logic and order. If anything, the idea of a Lycanthrope suggests a primitive order as a basis for the other social structure that ordinary humans use to organize their time and their relationships with each other.
    Wolves are pack animals, but they do not possess the higher rationality that lycanthropes in their human state.
    The only thing worse than the thought that it may all come tumbling down is the thought that we may go on like this forever
    -Violet('Feed' by M.T. Anderson)-