Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome HBO two seasons series

Blog Entries

Rome HBO two seasons series

Who on this forum has watched this awesome mini series. It is another great show produced by HBO.

What do people think? Clearly, I am a fan.

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I loved Rome It finished quite some time ago in UK but my husband and I bought the set on DVD and watched it again. Vorenus bugged me, and I always felt sorry for Titus Pullo (and okay, I have a bit of a weak spot for both James Purefoy (Mark Antony) and Ciaran Hinds (Julius Caesar))

Probably not that historically accurate, but very entertaining nonetheless.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jersea View Post
    Who on this forum has watched this awesome mini series. It is another great show produced by HBO.

What do people think? Clearly, I am a fan.
    I watched almost all the episodes. I LOVED it! I'm a Roman history buff and they really made it come alive. I was so disappointed when the seires ended. I don't usually buy TV series but this one I'm really tempted to get one day.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

I loved it too, and bought the complete set. I loved Mark Antony and Julius Caesar, and it has absolutely nothing at all to do with the fact that I love both the actors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awT2G...eature=related

Just a little treat. I need to watch the series again.

My history professor keeps pushing the series so I put it opn Netflix.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    My history professor keeps pushing the series so I put it opn Netflix.
    It's supposed to be very accurate. I can vouch for the raw historical details of Ceasar and Antony and the historical figures being accurate. But even the everyday life parts of it were supposedly done to as best available knowledge.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    It's supposed to be very accurate. I can vouch for the raw historical details of Ceasar and Antony and the historical figures being accurate. But even the everyday life parts of it were supposedly done to as best available knowledge.
    History Prof said the same thing, we just got done studying Ancient Rome, she showed us the murder of Julius Caeser. What is the time period of the series? Obviously around the time Julius Caeser but does it start with Julius and follow the rest of the emperor's or did it begin in the republic and end with Caeser? or is Caesar somewhere in the middle?
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    History Prof said the same thing, we just got done studying Ancient Rome, she showed us the murder of Julius Caeser. What is the time period of the series? Obviously around the time Julius Caeser but does it start with Julius and follow the rest of the emperor's or did it begin in the republic and end with Caeser? or is Caesar somewhere in the middle?
    Time period is the events leading to Ceasar's assassination. I think he was assassinated in 44 BC. It's roughly a few years around it, leading to it and after it.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Attia of the Julii was completely different in the series than in contemporary accounts, where she was described as pious, morally impeccable and so dignified that no one dared utter a foul word in her presence. But a slutty Attia was considered more entertaining on TV. The Tudors series also took liberties. I enjoyed these shows, and I just remember they're fiction. Of course, the Attia of historians might be based on propoganda, but the Attia of HBO is based on nothing.

I think the historical value of the Rome series has more to do with understanding the culture than with the details of people and events.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
    Attia of the Julii was completely different in the series than in contemporary accounts, where she was described as pious, morally impeccable and so dignified that no one dared utter a foul word in her presence. But a slutty Attia was considered more entertaining on TV. The Tudors series also took liberties. I enjoyed these shows, and I just remember they're fiction. Of course, the Attia of historians might be based on propoganda, but the Attia of HBO is based on nothing.

I think the historical value of the Rome series has more to do with understanding the culture than with the details of people and events.
    I did not know much about Attia, Eryk. So I looked it up. Apparently you are correct:

Comparison with the historical Atia Balba Caesonia
    Atia Balba Caesonia (born 85 BC) was the second daughter of Julius Caesar's elder sister Julia Caesaris and Marcus Atius Balbus, son of a Senator from Aricia. Atia herself had two sisters, not mentioned in the series, and was a cousin to general Pompey through her father.

Atia's first husband was Gaius Octavius, a Senator of obscure provincial origins. By him she had a daughter, Octavia Minor (Octavius already had a daughter, Octavia Major, from a previous marriage), and a son, Gaius Octavius (Octavian). After Octavius died in 59 BC, Atia married another Senator, Lucius Marcius Philippus, who was a devoted stepfather to her children. He would have been present throughout the period covered by Rome, however the character in the series is known to be unmarried.

Contrary to Rome's representation, Tacitus describes Atia as a pious, devoted mother and an ideal Roman matron; little other detail is known of her. There is no historical evidence to suggest that she was romantically involved with Mark Antony or in a contemptuous rivalry with Servilia Caepionis (basis for the character Servilia of the Junii), as is dramatized in the series. It is not known what involvement she may have had in the political intrigues of Julius Caesar or Octavian, but she did fear for her son's safety and at some point urged him to renounce his rights as Caesar's heir.

Atia died in the year 43 BC, before the Battle of Philippi in which the legions of Antony and Octavian defeated Brutus and Cassius. In the series, she outlives these events and even lives to see her son become the first Roman Emperor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atia_of_the_Julii
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    I think that this is a loose interpretation on the historical story of the Triumvirate. I think the intent of the series is the entertain, as it is a drama series. However, the overall plot is quite accurrate.

Virgil, I too was disappointed when the drama series ended, I would have liked to keep watching it.

I am so glad so many people enjoyed this series.
    Last edited by Buh4Bee; 11-04-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Apparently the show was supposed to be a lot longer originally but they cut huge chunks out. Which is such a shame I loved that show, critics said the acting was hammy but I thought it was awesome. Especially the ending where Attia watched the body of Anthony being paraded in front of her.

About the historically accuracy of the show, the main plot was pretty accurate even if they took liberties with the personalities i.e Attia and Ocatavia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    Apparently the show was supposed to be a lot longer originally but they cut huge chunks out. Which is such a shame I loved that show, critics said the acting was hammy but I thought it was awesome. Especially the ending where Attia watched the body of Anthony being paraded in front of her.

About the historically accuracy of the show, the main plot was pretty accurate even if they took liberties with the personalities i.e Attia and Ocatavia.
    Are you sure it was the body of Antony? I don't recall the series reaching Antony's death. You must mean Ceasar's body.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Are you sure it was the body of Antony? I don't recall the series reaching Antony's death. You must mean Ceasar's body.
    I am pretty sure it was Anthony. In the finale when Octavian comes back from Egypt he holds a Triumph and parades Anthony and Cleopatra. Anyone else remember?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    I am pretty sure it was Anthony. In the finale when Octavian comes back from Egypt he holds a Triumph and parades Anthony and Cleopatra. Anyone else remember?
    Oh did it end with that? I don't remember. If the series ended with a victorious Octavian then it is quite possible that Antony's body was paraded. I did not remember the series progressing that far in the history.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast