Thread: This is the first part of a dream I had (Part 2)

This is the first part of a dream I had (Part 2)

It's been awhile since I posted up on here the updated version of my short-story of the dream I had. Well I edited and added on to it. I would like some feedback to gauge how well it is with all of you. Thanks for your time.

----------------------------------

Upon entering the room, he had almost forgotten the troubles pursuing him. The vast hall was unlike any of the levels he hurried past below, and unlike any that he had ever occupied in his life, for that matter. It was a Parthenon inspired design, though with a low ceiling, and bore an Olympian grace which stood proudly over the skyline of the city. In standing in its notice you could tell this wasn't here solely for external pleasantries merely to delight the eye. Its unlimited wealth not only purchased material extravagance, but an otherworldly peace of mind and comfort for the insecurities of the soul that riches usually left callus and hollow. This was where men could ascend, freed of all their earthly problems, to sit in undisturbed reverence among themselves.

As he stood, stricken, his sense of direction and place was forgone as his eyes gazed transfixed at a point between the columns. In nature's waning hours she gilded everything with natural luxury, and seemed to crown its head of royalty. There are, at certain rare moments, after life has lost its value and despite all its mystery's ignored, that you experience something which imparts upon you a fleeting gift of illumination. “This opulence -no- this heavenly condition, wasn't intended for man.” His mind elevated to grasp, in vain, the spiritual uncertainties that tantalized the world.

He walked toward the far side of the rectangular room. The golden rays were enticing him to move, to suck him in and let it completely envelope his feeling of belonging. He wished -and for a split second wondered if- that this would be a gateway to a different, more wonderful place. Walking forward, the light was getting brighter, offering what no sensible mind would decline.

Everything vanished and there was only the gleaming nexus. Humility found him, as if special recognition were offered, and thought himself unworthy of the notice. His skin started to tingle as he drew upon his destination; it seemed as if the light was percolating through every pore. He put his arm up to shield his eyes from the assaulting, yet welcoming, paradise.

And walked through.

The cool breeze stung him and shook him from his whimsy, like a sudden blast from a cold shower that kills sleep. The city spanned out, its street lights starting to flicker on in the dimming dusk- a mockery of security. An awful maze loomed forth, writhing with sudden sickly convulsions, compounding its own malevolence into the folds, at any minute to burst forth with a rupture of violence and depravity. Shadows slowly crept from their hiding places to veil all the evil pleasures the reprobates reveled in. He knew this is what he would witness, but he dared to let himself hope. Seeing it, it was as though someone had punched through the inside of his stomach and squeezed.

Looking up towards the sky he wanted to be away. Somewhere, anywhere- to float along in the lonely depths of space, but yet he knew he would not feel alone. Afterall, it offered much more in terms of interest and wonder than any person he would ever meet here. Stars twinkled which seemed to signal a passage home, though he was without a means to take use of their guide. The city, in bitter jest, returned its own answer and hurled its indignation without repose. Sultry signs, some which lit up, had a women that, in a series of alternating bulbs, took off her top, yet her free arm now hid the area while the bra was raised in her other hand, displayed like a trophy.

“I actually live out there.” He whispered in disgust.

Just then there came a sound from which he dreaded, but knew was coming. It was the hound that had never lost the scent. A matter that must be addressed, tonight. As the hurried thud of steps became louder he felt a pang of guilt for bringing his troubles into such a holy place, but it couldn't have been helped. Sweat started to perspire under his arms, leaving an exceptionally cool feeling underneath his sleeves. He had been through many confrontations and this was more of an involuntary bodily reaction now to warn him. But his fear had been harnessed long ago. He took in a deep breath, and slowly exhaled, calmly. Over and over he did this until the sound came to its climax.

The steps stopped suddenly, and he felt the eyes starring at him. Then the walking started up again with vigorous determination, heading in his direction. The adversary came to a halt maybe but a few yards away, and waited.

He felt bare now. His sanctuary had been intruded apoun, and he was forced to tear himself away from his thoughts. He tried to regain a small piece of what was lost before his company came, but stomach and back were all a flutter, signaling that there was a presence nearby. There was nothing outside anymore than the truth, and so he made resolve to face his problem.

“I'm sorry, were you busy?” His adversary mocked, his voice ringing out in the now dark building.
    “Not at all.”
    “You little coward, thinking you could run away. You're just wasting time in the end. You won't be influencing my family any longer after tonight.” The adversary straightened in a pose of dignity, as well to appear as more of a worthy foe. With it, his hilt was made all the more apparent, protruding out with portentous effect.
    “You don't even care about her... ”
    “ENOUGH. You raped my little girl, seduced her with your devilish nature and false charm. You deserve what is coming to you.”

He was an older man, a gentleman, or at least those who would have made his acquaintance would think so, but nobody closer than that. Outwardly he had on all his required attire to fit the bill: vest coat, dress pants, white shirt with what very well could be diamond cuffs. More importantly he had that lofty distinction about his person, with the way he held himself, where you would only need to take a glance at him to immediately know of his stature.

No opinions at all? I don't care what you say, be brutally honest. You won't hurt my feelings.
    Last edited by Ralavik; 10-23-2009 at 02:40 PM.