Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sense and Sensibility Discussion

I've Just Started Reading It

Hey, I'm just on the third chapter right now, and I am kind of enjoying it. Can anyone give me any hints as to what's going to happen without spoiling it? Just a paragraph summary or something....

Yes, so you want a little hint without spoiling it... Easy you are!

Anyway, they are setting off to Barton now, I think. So, they will live there, they'll meet a few new people and Marianne will still fall in love with someone. There is also a trip to London. But everything will be alright in the end despite a lot of difficulty.

Is that what you wanted or is it more?
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Blog Entries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJMnm28vAqQ

1995 movie trailer?

The music irks me but there's more than just music there... there's value in Alan Rickman.

Hey, well I'm on chapter XIII now. What's gonna happen with Marianne and Willoughby, and is Elinor going to fall in love with Colonel Brandon, and will Edward come back into the story? And will anyone else be introduced who will play an important part in the plot? And why is the story divided into 3 volumes? Thanks in advance.

I recognise me in you, because I'd like to know if I'm unsettled... Finally, someone!

SPOILER ALERT (for the ones who do not want to know specific things)

Willoughby and Marianne, that's clear, isn't it, what is going to happen, but it will go all wrong. The outcome of what really happened to cause the shambles will be at the end. But something will happen in London.

Heroic, Willoughby, isn't he...

Elinor does not fall in love with Colonel Brandon, although she is believed to be by everyone.

Edward Ferrars will resurface but entangled in a difficult web that concludes happily at the end somewhere (in London, too).

Keep an eye out for Lucy. She's important.

SPOILERS OVER

What do you think of it so far. I found it the most tedious boo of Austn I have read, but I only did (in order) P&P, S&S, Persuasion and Emma. After P&P this was a little bit of a cold shower because it is much more serious although that old widow (mother-in-law of Middleton) is quite fun. Still, at the points where it picks up pace, it does satisfy, just not everywhere...
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Thanks kiki1982. That answered all my questions.
    I've actually just finished the first volume now, and I am quite astonished by what I just found out with Lucy and Edward, as I really thought he was going somewhere with Elinor. Anyway, this is the first Jane Austen book I've read (and the first classic book I've read, too as a matter of fact because I've only just decided to take up reading classic literature), so I didn't know what to expect from it. I found the book and language really hard to understand during the first chapter, but then I kind of settled to it, and now I understand Austen's vocabulary fully and I am engrossed in the story, but now I can't wait to read pride and prejudice after what you said. I'd really like to know why Willoughby left - how far in the book do you get to find out? So do the characters go to London? And do the Palmers feature prominently in the story or are they background characters? And aside from Lucy, anyone else important in the plot? Thanks again, in advance.

With Austen, it is a matter of clarification in the end. Everything that happens has a reason, of course, but the reasons, out of discretion, cannot be revealed until later.

Ferrars was going somewhere with Elinor, but it wl al become clear later what the problem is.

Willoughby left because of personal reasons. Later you will find out why..

The Palemrs are side-charactrs, but will remain there because they re close relatives of Mrs Jennings(?). Her daughter and son-in-law. Mr Palmer will infact be redeemed as good and kind man, despite his sulkiness.

P&P is more fun in my opinion. It is more ridiculous, S&S is more poetical and more subdued but therefore not bad. Just a little less entertaining.

But was Austen not a little difficult in vocab to start with? I would have take something more recent to start with, but then again, it is what one prefers.
    If you like Austen, you migt also like Scott on the same note of language. He is more serious, but writes in the same kind of language (same time). The funniest I have read of Austen was P&P and Emma, after that Persuasion. I'd start with P&P, because that is shorter and Emma is a snobbish woman so you need to be into Austen to understand the real ridicule of it. But other than that, Emma is also really good. Northanger Abbey is also supposed to be good as she wrote it earleir in her like P&P.

Thanks for that
    You said everything will be alright with Edward and Elinor, but how can that be if he is engaged to Lucy? And another thing has been a bee in my bonnet: at the back of the book on the blurb it says: "Elinor is ill-equipped to compete with self-centred fortune hunters like Lucy Steele." I don't get it. Lucy seems really nice at the end of volume one.
    I'll post here again when I get further into the book.

I don't know about self-centered. They have been engaged for long, remember that because that is the key.

Someting will obviously happen, then, won't it?

I don't know about Elinor being 'ill-equipped'... I don't know, she is reserved to all people else than Marian, and she thinks that she does not show enough feeling, but she does have it.

You'll see...

Thanks once again. I am now on volume two, chapter 6-7 or something like that. I finally get what you meant about them going to London, so do they remain in town for the rest of the story? The whole Willoughby-saga is really interesting, I must say. This might be a random guess but from your hints: were Edward and Lucie actually in love but Edward has fallen out of love for her secretly (you said their long engagement is key) and fallen in love with Elinor (you said they were going somewhere)? Is that it? Or something like that?

That is something like it, yes...

They will stay in London for most of the story, then move to the Pamers' estate where everything will come to a great climax.

I think there should still be something known about Colonel Brandon's past in London... And that is quite important. Ferrars wil also run into problems there.

On the Palmers' estate we will hear about what was behind Willoughby's escapades.

And then, everything will be alright.

So the outcome at the end is as simple as:
    -Marianne marries Willoughby
    -Elinor marries Edward

By the way, the girl that Willoughby was with at the table when Marianne finally sees him again after his departure, does he cheat on her with her?

Sense and Sensibility Discussion

Have you read Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen?
    If so, what did you think of it. I would like to discuss it here, because I want to see how many people deem it as a good book, as I am currently reading it (a bit into volume II) and am thoroughly engrossed with the things that are taking place in London. So, discuss it here!

Nono, one of the pairs is wrong! I won' tell you which. That should be clear in... 5 chapters I think (probably even earlier).

I like this, it's fun!

Yeah, it is fun!
    Hmmm... now I have to guess which pair is wrong...
    Possible suitors for Marianne - Willoughby, Colonel Brandon
    Possible suitors for Elinor - Edward, Colonel Brandon
    That's all I can think of, so I'm guessing one of the pairs is ol' CB!
    By the way, why is book split into three volumes, and how long ago did you read it?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast