Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

1 6.25%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals

3 18.75%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

5 31.25%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

7 43.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Antonia by Willa Cather

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Antonia by Willa Cather

I love this novel; I've read it a lot, and every time I need to re-read it, I see that time as a gift.

My Antonia is a romantic look back on the pioneering experiences of the early European immigrants to the Nebraska prairie of 19th century US. In this novel, Cather uses the voice of a male narrator, Jim Burden, to depict the transformation of the beautiful, but naturalistic prairie, into an American small town. The novel also addresses those "universal" ( )themes of growing up, sexuality, living in a landscape, making one's way in the world, of leaving home, and of returning.

While many will read this book for its perspectives on human relationships, American identity, and a few others, I gleefully return to this novel so that I can indulge myself in Cather's description of an extinct landscape: the tall-grass prairies of middle American (pre-1900). The grass was taller than the average person, and colored red-purple like a bruise below the eye, and as long and wide as forever.

Here's a picture of what I mean:

Today, these grasses exist here and there in spots across the US and Canada. But what Cather describes in My Antonia will never be again, which gives the beryl, Romantic lens through which the story is told a finish as memorable and nameless as the last swallow of a fine wine.

My rating?: 9.5/10 threshing machines
    Last edited by The Comedian; 10-19-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Blog Entries
    Today, these grasses exist here and there in spots across the US and Canada. But what Cather describes in My Antonia will never be again, which gives the beryl, Romantic lens through which the story is told a finish as memorable and nameless as the last swallow of a fine wine.
    The Comedian, Well put! I loved the book, too. I agree about the descriptive writing and the fact, that it takes us back into a world that no longer exists; yet this book is timeless in our minds due to Cather's amazing writing. Have you read any other of her books? I read My Antonia second; before that, O' Pioneers, and lastly, Death Comes to the Archbishop (I highly recommend the last one; that one snuck up on me and surprised me - it's wonderful!). Not too long ago I read her novella Alexander's Bridge and I plan a reading of The Song of the Lark. I very much like her style of writing and enjoyed each book I did finish so far.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Have you read any other of her books? I read My Antonia second; before that, O' Pioneers, and lastly, Death Comes to the Archbishop (I highly recommend the last one; that one snuck up on me and surprised me - it's wonderful!). Not too long ago I read her novella Alexander's Bridge and I plan a reading of The Song of the Lark. I very much like her style of writing and enjoyed each book I did finish so far.
    I've read most of her other books -- O' Pioneers, Song of the Lark, and one other one that I'm forgetting right now. The one that I haven't read is Death Comes for the Archbishop, so I'll have to pick that one up and give it a go.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I am yet to read a novel by Cather (never too late, right? ).

She won the Pulitzer Prize with One of Ours so I will be reading that one sometime soon but I would also like to read My Antonia because the title is so beautiful.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

I love this novel too, to me, it seems what one would call "The Great American novel" in terms of the way it captures the mentality and dynamics of the country - from women's issues to innocence, to failed dreams - it's all there somewhere.

It's also interesting to contrast this text with Canadian prairie fiction, I particularly think of Sinclair Ross' As for me and My House, which offers a very different angle - because of what I suspect is the lack of dream and optimism of the narrators (in short the lack of the American dream).

It's strange though, I don't think anyone can really not fall in love with Antonia, in the sense that Jim seems so powerful a narrator, that one absorbs his obsession with Antonia into oneself. Really a remarkable work, as is O Pioneers which you should all run out and get .

Quote Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
    I've read most of her other books -- O' Pioneers, Song of the Lark, and one other one that I'm forgetting right now. The one that I haven't read is Death Comes for the Archbishop, so I'll have to pick that one up and give it a go.
    Must've read Paul's Case somewhere along the lines as well - her essays on aesthetics and writing are also noteworthy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I am yet to read a novel by Cather (never too late, right? ).

She won the Pulitzer Prize with One of Ours so I will be reading that one sometime soon but I would also like to read My Antonia because the title is so beautiful.
    Scheherazade, Definitely never too late! I read them about 4 yrs ago. I loved all of them! She was a very fine author. I think you would like her writing. I have One of Ours on my to read list. I hope to pick up a copy from Dover or Amazon. I have seen it offered at a pretty good price.

JBI, you are being waaaayyyy too agreeable!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    It's also interesting to contrast this text with Canadian prairie fiction, I particularly think of Sinclair Ross' As for me and My House, which offers a very different angle - because of what I suspect is the lack of dream and optimism of the narrators (in short the lack of the American dream).
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be on my way to Amazon to check those title out in a few minutes. I love writing that centers around landscape.

Oh, and on a different note, I remembered the other Cather novels that I've read: O' Pioneers, A Lost Lady, The Professor's House, Song of the Lark. All of these are good, but My Antonia is my favorite.

Song of the Lark was my least favorite, but I suspect that feeling was due to heavily feminist context in which it was taught. (I had much of my English education in the early 1990s, when over-riding motto was "Women = perfect, victims; Men = evil, usurpers". I grew soooo tired of this).
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Hi,

I joined this site primarily to post in this topic

I've always had a love for all things summer, the smell, the freshly cut grass etc.. theres nothing like it, i love the countryside in general. Living in Nottingham, UK we dont get any of that! But this book was so well written i felt like i could look outside and see the great prairie..

Can anybody recommend any books similar to this? In its setting, and style? I have yet to read through the copy of "o'pioneers" with a bunch of exams coming up i dont have too much time!

thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    I love this novel too, to me, it seems what one would call "The Great American novel" in terms of the way it captures the mentality and dynamics of the country - from women's issues to innocence, to failed dreams - it's all there somewhere.

It's strange though, I don't think anyone can really not fall in love with Antonia, in the sense that Jim seems so powerful a narrator, that one absorbs his obsession with Antonia into oneself. Really a remarkable work, as is O Pioneers which you should all run out and get .

Must've read Paul's Case somewhere along the lines as well - her essays on aesthetics and writing are also noteworthy.

Absolutely, agree with everything you said, JBI...I loved the scenes when she and Paul went out to the cave dwellings...such vivid descriptions, that one felt one had been there...I have fond memories of those passages...wonderful writing!

And I have read "Paul's Case"...it's in my collection of "Short Stories by American Women." The story is so well crafted and heart-breaking.
    Last edited by Janine; 01-11-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Drama Queen
    Excellent review. Although I've read a few short stories by Willa Cather, I have yet to read a novel by her. This makes me want to run out and get one by her.

nice book and a good review

Blog Entries
    From what I've learned, O' Pioneers, The Song of the Lark, and My Antonia are considered Cather's Nebraska trilogy. Apparently, Song of the Lark was less favorably reviewed by the critics as the other two. I haven't read it. I haven't found it in any of my favorite used book stores, but I'll admit to not looking too hard.
    The other two I thought were fabulous. The portrait of Alexandra Bergson is one of the strongest female characters in this, or any, era of the American novel. I found the themes to strongly feminist without feeling like I was being beaten with ahammer.
    My Antonia is the story of an immigrant family in the US that novels like The Jungle are not. Antonia was more a celebration of a life and I agree with everyone here that it's top notch.
    My love of Cather's writing in these two novels is her ability to build strong female characters along side her textual landscapes of prairie life that she paints. I love her work a lot.
    No damn cat, no damn cradle - Newt Honniker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloQ View Post
    From what I've learned, O' Pioneers, The Song of the Lark, and My Antonia are considered Cather's Nebraska trilogy. Apparently, Song of the Lark was less favorably reviewed by the critics as the other two. I haven't read it. I haven't found it in any of my favorite used book stores, but I'll admit to not looking too hard.
    The other two I thought were fabulous. The portrait of Alexandra Bergson is one of the strongest female characters in this, or any, era of the American novel. I found the themes to strongly feminist without feeling like I was being beaten with ahammer.
    You are right - it is a trilogy of sorts. I recall looking up which book she wrote first and proceeding from there. My good friend found all three books curbside and they were in perfect condition - proves my point, some people throw out the best stuff. I was lucky to come by them, all three hardbound with original dust covers! I so enjoyed them, I can't begin to tell everyone. I think my cousin read them and told me about them years ago. She loves stories set in that time period and on the prairie.

The "Song of the Lark" I aquired somewhat later; I found it quite cheap on Dover Publishing's website. I haven't gotten around to reading it. I also got "Alexander's Bridge" from the same place; it's a thin book; the other is quite thick.

My Antonia is the story of an immigrant family in the US that novels like The Jungle are not. Antonia was more a celebration of a life and I agree with everyone here that it's top notch.
    I agree; it's quite unlike other American immigrant stories I had read.

My love of Cather's writing in these two novels is her ability to build strong female characters along side her textual landscapes of prairie life that she paints. I love her work a lot.
    Exactly! I love her writing and artistry, too...very visual and wonderfully crafted novels.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    OK, OK, OK!!!!

I cannot take it anymore; stop teasing and tempting me, please!

I will start reading this tomorrow (it came free from Adobe when I installed their software for my ereader.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    OK, OK, OK!!!!

I cannot take it anymore; stop teasing and tempting me, please!

I will start reading this tomorrow (it came free from Adobe when I installed their software for my ereader.
    calm down, Scher....we didn't mean to torment you.....
    Well now, everyone does have individual taste in novels/authors; so I hope we didn't overstate our case. I do think you will like the author. Which one will you start with - "My Antonia"...?

How cool, you have an ereader...eh....nice to get the book free!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast