Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Often Do You Re-Read A Book?

How Often Do You Re-Read A Book?

I didn't become an avid reader until a few years ago (in my mid-twenties). Since then I've been interested in reading as much fiction as I can and haven't bothered to read a novel a second time. Even with one I really enjoyed. I just didn't want to take time out from reading things I hadn't read before to go over a novel a second time.

Oddly, I don't currently have anything on my reading list that is jumping out at me so I decided to start reading Don DeLillo's The Names again this morning. So far I'm really enjoying the second round and now I'm thinking I should re-read good novels more often.

How often do you re-read a novel compared to reading work you've never touched before?

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There are certain favourite novels that I can come back to again and again.

Its no literary masterpiece, but I've read Good Omens at least a dozen times and it always has me howling with laughter. Same with most of the Discworld stories.

Good books can become like old friends, to be visited often for the pleasure of their company.
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

I've read a lot of those Discworld books a few times as well, they never seem to get old for me. I struggle to fit in rereads when there are so many new books to read but I always enjoy it when I make the time. It's amazing what new things you can discover and enjoy when you aren't worried about silly things like keeping track of the plot.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

For me, reading a book the second time is my favorite part. You have already been acquainted with it, but now you really get to enjoy it. And, I know Lord of the Rings is not 'great' literature, but I really cannot tell you how many times I have read it.
    He prayed best, who loveth best
    All things both great and small;
    For the dear God who loveth us,
    He made and loveth all.

~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Cool Certain books do not attain their full impact on the first reading ....

I am thinking about the Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment. I have read each three times, and they got better as I matured. Others, there has been up to ten years in between readings. I just reread Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. I read it when it first was published in 1984. Twenty-five years later it means more to me since I have read many of the people he writes about in the book: Ezra Pound, Scott Fitzgerald, Ford Madox Ford etc.

I have tried to read some post moderns, but they haven't been able to keep my interest. Don Delilo Philp Roth, et al, can't hold a candle to Scott Fitzgerald or Hemingway. But Nabokov and Thomas Pynchon hold my interest very well. I will probably read them again in a few years.

Blog Entries
    Classic novels require multiple readings. In college I tried to read novels a second time before I wrote essays on them, but that wasn't always possible. If a novel is really finely crafted, I defintely will read it more than once - maybe more than twice.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    There are a lot of novels I have read several times. Particularly Dostoyevsky & Tolstoy as I try to read different translations. The same goes for long narrative poems &/or those written in Middle English.

Oddly, one novel I actually read at least five times was Patrick Tilley's Mission.

I first read it only a few years after it was published. I think it is one of the cleverest contemporary novels I have ever read.
    docendo discimus

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've read Walden probably 20 times now. And several others, My Antonia, Watchmen, Lonesome Dove, Republic, the AD & D Dungeon Master's guide (2nd edition), and several others anywhere from 5-10 times.

In short, I love to re-read the best of literature.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Blog Entries
    As to books Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini gets reread about 3-5 years. Recently reread the Fu Manchu series by Sax Rohmer (in order this time) and likewise Adam Hall's Quiller series. As to my other likes: comics--Jonah Hex stories get reread periodically along wiht old Adam Strange stories from Mystery in Space and early Batmans. Tomb of Dracula gets pulled out along with Dr.Strange from Marvel and of course The Avengers.

I have no limit, I never get (permanently) tired of a book they way I do a movie. I've read The Autobiography of Malcolm X 8 times since I was 13 although it's been years since I last did so. I will usually wait at least 6-12 months before I reread a book.
    Last edited by African_Love; 10-15-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Without posting a list, there are ten or so novels that I reread every three or four years. I also have a tradition of reading a (different) Dickens novel every christmas season. To me, big heavy Victorian novels like Dickens suit long nights and wool blankets on the bed during the holidays.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It depends upon the book. I've read The Divine Comedy in its entirety about 4 times... in different translations. I've read Don Quixote perhaps 3 times. Favorite poets and poems I read again and again: Blake, Baudelaire, Verlaine, Holderlin, Rilke, Herrick, etc... Being a sworn Borgesian I've read his poems and stories repeatedly... along with those of Kafka and Calvino.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Blog Entries
    The play Hamlet, it puts my problems into perspective everytime. Will put the cathart into catharticism effortlessly. Hubris is childsplay ' a mere toy ' Now I am going to my bed, ' for this relief much thanks ' Oh ****, that was MacBeth. ' Goodnight ladies ' I have lost the plot altogether.

I generally find it difficult to reread most books, and if i do it's only a skim because knowing what happens bores me. The only book i can remember rereading and genuinely enjoying and finding more and more with each read was On the Road.
    L'enfer, cest les autres

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastable View Post
    I generally find it difficult to reread most books, and if i do it's only a skim because knowing what happens bores me. The only book i can remember rereading and genuinely enjoying and finding more and more with each read was On the Road.
    The beat goes on Bastable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast