Thread: Etruscan Places

Etruscan Places

I live not too far from the Etruscan towns Lawrence immortalized in Etruscan Places -- and his readings of those places have influenced by own fiction.
    I have traveled Sardinia far and wide, with Lawrence's SEa and Sardinia in my pocket and have marveled at how accurate some of his descriptions of the spirit of those places still ring true despite the facade of modernity under which the rough and real ancestral Sardinia is concealed. For the last several years, I have also been teaching a literary travel writing course to American undergrads on a studyabroad program based in the Etruscan area -- and on my required reading list I have put, of course, Lawrence's Italian poems and Etruscan places. I never cease to be devastated by my students' reaction to the latter. They simply hate the book, and find it boring, bombastic, patronizing. And of course, well, we all know Lawrence's little faults, but love him anyway. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's suggestions for teaching this book, or experiences in teaching it -- or even their follow up of his journeys in Italy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LLItaly View Post
    I live not too far from the Etruscan towns Lawrence immortalized in Etruscan Places -- and his readings of those places have influenced by own fiction.
    I have traveled Sardinia far and wide, with Lawrence's SEa and Sardinia in my pocket and have marveled at how accurate some of his descriptions of the spirit of those places still ring true despite the facade of modernity under which the rough and real ancestral Sardinia is concealed. For the last several years, I have also been teaching a literary travel writing course to American undergrads on a studyabroad program based in the Etruscan area -- and on my required reading list I have put, of course, Lawrence's Italian poems and Etruscan places. I never cease to be devastated by my students' reaction to the latter. They simply hate the book, and find it boring, bombastic, patronizing. And of course, well, we all know Lawrence's little faults, but love him anyway. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's suggestions for teaching this book, or experiences in teaching it -- or even their follow up of his journeys in Italy
    You live then in one of the most gorgeous places in the world. Yes, those Lawrence faults. I don't know if I have any suggestions. You might provide photos of the geography and the locals that lawrence writes about. You might combine some of Lawrence's related fiction and poetry along with the essays. Oh I wish i could be a student in your class. I would love it.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Hi again LLItaly, how wonderful you live near those place which I have only imagined. I am totally jealous. I know that area was so dear to our dear Lawrence. I know he left part of his heart in your country. I LOVED reading the travel books! I love reading anything by Lawrence, but the travel books were so unusual and soooo personal. I just ate them up. I think my favorite of the three was actaully Sea and Sardinia. I got such a kick out of Lawrence's little quirpy comments and his little idiosycrasies; also his mention of "the QB (Queen Bee) - his wife Frieda. I felt the closest to Lawrence in these travel books. I felt like I was right there at his elbow looking over his shoulder and experiencing the environment and the adventure of it all first hand. It was not just reading another book; but totally experiencing it; feeling it first hand. I felt I was seeing out of the author's eyes.

They simply hate the book, and find it boring, bombastic, patronizing. And of course, well, we all know Lawrence's little faults, but love him anyway. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's suggestions for teaching this book, or experiences in teaching it -- or even their follow up of his journeys in Italy.
    It must gorgeous where you live. It is a shame your students were not as mesmerized and appreciative and enthusiastic as you and I are about the Etruscan Places book, or the other travel books. I truly hope someday to reread all three of the travel books. I think you could enjoy them several times actually. Yes indeed, we do know Lawrence's little faults but speaking for myself I love him anyway inspite of them!

I don't know if I have a suggestion about teaching that book but perhaps if they did know more of L's biography they might find the book a little more enthralling. Also, I mentioned in that other L thread The Minoan Distance...and by reading that book about Lawrence's travels you might get some ideas on the subject. Have your students tried any other Lawrence books. I know most like Sons and Lovers. I always feel it's a good starting point. I know when we discussed it on here we had a number of young people who ended up liking the novel or questioning it.

I second what Virgil just wrote. I would love to be a student in your class, too!
    Last edited by Janine; 10-13-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Minoan distance

I'm totally ignorant on this one. Please tell me more about the Minoan distance. Now I must absolutely sign off and jump into the subway
    more anon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LLItaly View Post
    I'm totally ignorant on this one. Please tell me more about the Minoan distance. Now I must absolutely sign off and jump into the subway
    more anon.
    Someone on this forum pointed this book out to me a few years back. I think I bought a used copy. I don't think it is in print any longer.

The Minoan Distance: The Symbolism of Travel in D. H. Lawrence (Paperback)
    by L. D. Clark
    L. D. Clark (Author)

I haven't read it yet; just parts and looked at all the photos. I think it is quite interesting though. The author and his photographer wife apparently followed the in footsteps of Lawrence exploring the various locations from which L derrived inspiration for his novels.

It's available on Amazon and on Half.Com. I just looked it up. I thought I had an article on it but now I can't locate it. I will look through my files again when I have more time.

Edit: just went exploring and I found the article still online. Here is the link:

http://www.artisticnetwork.net/arts/...-writings.html
    Last edited by Janine; 10-14-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Someone on this forum pointed this book out to me a few years back. I think I bought a used copy. I don't think it is in print any longer.

The Minoan Distance: The Symbolism of Travel in D. H. Lawrence (Paperback)
    by L. D. Clark
    L. D. Clark (Author)

I haven't read it yet; just parts and looked at all the photos. I think it is quite interesting though. The author and his photographer wife apparently followed the in footsteps of Lawrence exploring the various locations from which L derrived inspiration for his novels.

It's available on Amazon and on Half.Com. I just looked it up. I thought I had an article on it but now I can't locate it. I will look through my files again when I have more time.

Edit: just went exploring and I found the article still online. Here is the link:

http://www.artisticnetwork.net/arts/...-writings.html
    Oh my gosh Janine. I could have used that book in my master's thesis. How come I didn't come across it in my reasearch?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Oh my gosh Janine. I could have used that book in my master's thesis. How come I didn't come across it in my reasearch?
    Because Quasimodo hadn't alerted you to it. He found it online a few years back. I like the book every much; but wish I had more time to read it cover to cover. It seems to be quite interesting. I think I did quote some parts from in in our short story discussion thread once.

Seems like these two L threads are finally getting interesting and I am so busy offline right now I can't post much. I will post when I can though even if just a small amount or some links.