Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are you too proud to read or admit to enjoying children's literature

Still can't get over the Redwall series. But I've outgrown Sweet Valley, Buffy, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Goosebumps and Spookesville.
    Vanitas vanitatum, dixit Ecclesiastes, vanitas vanitatum, et omnia vanitas.

Yo sé quién soy, y sé que puedo ser no sólo los que he dicho. - Don Quixote

I love children's literature and find it extremely entertaining. I mix it in between my so called "serious" reading. At the moment I am reading Frank Baum's 'Complete Book of Oz' with George R.R. Martin's 'A Clash of Kings'. I am also a huge fan of Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time'.
    -Mariamosis

Quote Originally Posted by African_Love View Post
    I couldn't find Charlotte's Web online but I found The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I think I'll give it a try.
    So far I have finished 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' and have almost finished 'The Marvelous Land of Oz'. They are very clever and humorous and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I am!

You can find 'Charlotte's Web' on Amazon.com
    -Mariamosis

When I was little, my favorite stories were Hobyia, Hobyia, Hobyia, and the Hunchback Horse. I still love to look back on them, and sometimes read them again. I never was a huge fan of fantasy, but I will always have a soft spot for children's fairy tales. Oh, I almost forgot Roverandum! I loved that book.
    Anyway, back to reading Dostoevsky(I actually am reading him right now).
    He prayed best, who loveth best
    All things both great and small;
    For the dear God who loveth us,
    He made and loveth all.

~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love reading kid's books. Of course, the only kid's book I would be ashamed of reading is the Harry Potter collection, which I hear is quite popular in some cultures for reasons inexplicable to this learned reader.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Certainly not too proud but I have found as ive gotten older some books aimed at kids are far less enjoyable to me then they were. But others not so. I used to absoloutly love L. Frank Baum's wizard of oz and still hold them in the fondest memories but am not sure I could get into them as much now as I did back when. Most recently I read the Earth sea trilogy by Ersula K Leguin which are some of my favorite books. They harbor some very deep truths that couldn't be delivered in a better way. I regard them as holy books along with the Tao Te Ching and my complete book of blake poetry.

I think there are a lot of bokos that get marketed towards children that can be approached again when your older and you will find within them a new level of meaning then you did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariamosis View Post
    So far I have finished 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' and have almost finished 'The Marvelous Land of Oz'. They are very clever and humorous and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I am!

You can find 'Charlotte's Web' on Amazon.com
    I enjoyed the Wonderful Wizard. Adult literature should have the soft-hearted characters and endearing themes that children's literature often has.

The only upsetting thing about the Wonderful Wizard is how violent it could get, lol. 1900 must have been a very different time.

I wonder if it says something about my intellect that I never really outgrew novels intended for children ages 9-12 but I didn't, I just stopped reading them. By the way, the Fear Street Saga by R.L. Stine was extremely interesting, I wish I could find my copy but it was accidentally thrown out!
    Last edited by African_Love; 10-15-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by African_Love View Post
    I enjoyed the Wonderful Wizard. Adult literature should have the soft-hearted characters and endearing themes that children's literature often has.

The only upsetting thing about the Wonderful Wizard is how violent it could get, lol. 1900 must have been a very different time.
    Yes, I am a little suprised at all of the heads and limbs being lobbed off.
    -Mariamosis

I do read some of the books I buy for my little niece. I love all the fairytales with their beautiful illustrations. After all, they make me feel like a child again, and help me travel towards many of the things that got lost through time.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    -Goethe

I think it’s always fun to read children's literature. I enjoyed reading James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the Boy by Roald Dahl. I have also bought a collection of Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales and looking forward to read it.

Blog Entries
    This is something I am so looking forward to with my grand-daughter. I saw her yesterday and books enchant her completely. Of course, we are only at the stage of picture books with animals, shapes, etc.; but these she loves to look at and to mimic the animal sounds - that part really delights me. Her father, my son, reads to her every night and he is now taking her to the big local library near him; he told me he wanted her to have the 'library experience' at an eary age. I had to laugh - a 17 month old perusing the library shelves. But actually, she does love going there! It's funny, my son was never a reader himself but having a child is making him into one. I think he enjoys the books as much as she does. I also think he picks up a book for himself now at the library and is reading more than he ever did his whole life long. I am glad he finally discovered how satisifying reading can be.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Many of my favourite books are targeted for children, teenagers or young adults, and I'm not ashamed of it
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123