Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Existance of Love

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
    Evil exists because of good, love exists conceptually because hate exists but it would exist without hate, just have no meaning
    I'm not sure I fully understand you.

Love exists conceptually because we rationalize biological changes in our minds and bodies as significant aspects of life. We strive for love because we strive to make our lives significant. Love is how we react based on the causality of nature shaping our brains and the experiences changing the way we think. Two people living in harmony have found meaning. There bodies react positively when they're together. And by that I mean, they trigger each other's pleasure receptors and they make each other healthy. Even without hate, isn't their life meaningful? They live in a flow of being together and being apart and when they come together life is significant. The time apart is just as important because it allows them to replenish their love reserves. Why would they need to hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy View Post
    Evil exists because of good, love exists conceptually because hate exists but it would exist without hate, just have no meaning
    Nope, this is just incorrect association.

Good and evil are not arbitrary and therefore do not "exist", the descriptions are constructed by groups of humans to suit their particular agenda. For them to be considered real, there would have to at least be universal agreement on what they are.

We covered this in a thread recently discussing concepts of good and evil. As you cannot class animal behaviour as good or evil, the concept falls to bits.

Love and hate can be plotted on an MRI. While the names are human constructs, the emotions are real.

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
    Nope, this is just incorrect association.

Good and evil are not arbitrary and therefore do not "exist", the descriptions are constructed by groups of humans to suit their particular agenda. For them to be considered real, there would have to at least be universal agreement on what they are.

We covered this in a thread recently discussing concepts of good and evil. As you cannot class animal behaviour as good or evil, the concept falls to bits.

Love and hate can be plotted on an MRI. While the names are human constructs, the emotions are real.
    'Good' and 'Evil' exist in an individuals imagination, I am not suggesting that they exist as energy or mass or that they exist in a similar way as love, or Love but 'universal agreement" is not necessary for something t exist as a concept, otherwise almost Nothing would exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
    I'm not sure I fully understand you.

Love exists conceptually because we rationalize biological changes in our minds and bodies as significant aspects of life. We strive for love because we strive to make our lives significant. Love is how we react based on the causality of nature shaping our brains and the experiences changing the way we think. Two people living in harmony have found meaning. There bodies react positively when they're together. And by that I mean, they trigger each other's pleasure receptors and they make each other healthy. Even without hate, isn't their life meaningful? They live in a flow of being together and being apart and when they come together life is significant. The time apart is just as important because it allows them to replenish their love reserves. Why would they need to hate?
    I am not saying life is meaningless without love, just that love has no meaning without hate; if everyone loved everyone and there was no hate than love would be nothing remotely special, it would not be called love as no one would have tought up the idea of 'love' just as we have no name for the way we feel when we neither love nor hate without encroching on the spectrum between the two(I don't beleive indifference describes most peoples nuetral reaction)
    Everything must have an antithesis to possess any significant meaning.
    Also I was thinking and I wondered whether hate is just the absence of love(or vice versa) as darkness is defined as just the absence of light, and considering that, if, for arguments sake, 'Evil' exists who is to say it isn't just the absence of theoretical 'Good'. What if every "force" does not have an adverse "force" but just a lack of the original "force".
    Let "force"(original) be positive and the lack thereof be negative, would Neutral be a mild amount of positive "force"? This is all only a stray thought, not a solid theory, but I think it is intrigueing
    The only thing worse than the thought that it may all come tumbling down is the thought that we may go on like this forever
    -Violet('Feed' by M.T. Anderson)-

Love is born of a situation when man is suffused with lots of foods and ample rest.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12