Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teachers versus Parents

Blog Entries

Teachers versus Parents

We talk all the time about how schools are failing etc, but what responsibility do we give to parents who are literate and do not teach their children from the cradle? We blame video games for students' lack of interest, but who allowed them to have and play them?

We blame poor teachers who have several classes a day, but how much of this problem can they understandably control?

Blog Entries
    A lot of parents send their kids to school and expect the school to raise them. It's harsh, but it's the truth. These parents have to blame the schools and the teachers. The person responsible gets the blame. These parents are certainly not the ones responsible.

Card-carrying Medievalist Lokasenna's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Furthermore, some parents not only expect the school to raise their children, but also think that their offspring has some God-given right to succeed. One of my mum's friends is a primary school teacher, and she has had parents burst into the classroom to have a slanging match with her because she gave their child a bad mark or a detention. So sad...
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    So what should we do about it since we recognize the need for an alteration of this theme? What can you and I personally do about it?

Blog Entries
    we can do our best for our children for one thing. Some of my friends and I run a parenting program. It's really a prevention program but it's good for any parents of preschoolers. I think La Lache League and other kinds of parenting support groups help. I think that most parents want what is best for their children, but just don't realize it's up to them to make that happen. Many were not raised with the example of an active, involved parent. Truly, I know people who needed the teacher to tell them that their child was sleepy in class and needed to goto bed earlier. The parents weren't bad, just didn't realize. Teachers need encouragement and parents need encouragement. It's always better to encourage than to condemn. When that doesn't work I think liability does. Schools are liable, teachers are liable, parents- not so much. I'll start teaching next August. As a teacher, in my work with the parenting program, and even as a La Lache League leader I have been more liable than as a mother. If parents were liable when their children failed in school, were arrested, or in other trouble, things might change.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isidro
    Teachers versus Parents
    I think the problem is suggested in the thread title as well.

Teachers and parents should not be in a "vs" situation; they should work together to improve child's learning, keeping his/her best interest at heart.

However, most of the time teacher's approach towards "lacking" parents is tainted with contempt and most parents view teachers as someone who is out there to get them and their children. When parents and teachers manage to work together, the result is usually very positive for the children.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    That's true, and you make a great point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I think the problem is suggested in the thread title as well.

Teachers and parents should not be in a "vs" situation; they should work together to improve child's learning, keeping his/her best interest at heart.

However, most of the time teacher's approach towards "lacking" parents is tainted with contempt and most parents view teachers as someone who is out there to get them and their children. When parents and teachers manage to work together, the result is usually very positive for the children.
    True, but the these days it is unfortuneatly often the case. I don't know what its like in other countries, but in Britain political correctness is leading to a situation where it is unacceptable for a child to experience either failure or contrition.

My parents were at school when corporal punishment was still very much in use. If either of them got the cane, then when they got home they would also be beaten by a parent, usually with a belt. Although I don't condone that, nonetheless it was common practice. Nowadays, the parents are far more likely to establish an antagonistic relationship with a teacher.

From the point of view of a child in the 50s and 60s, teachers and parents worked together and represented authority. Now, many children see their parents as a force against the control exercised by teachers - as for what can be done, I honestly don't know!
    "I should only believe in a God that would know how to dance. And when I saw my devil, I found him serious, thorough, profound, solemn: he was the spirit of gravity- through him all things fall. Not by wrath, but by laughter, do we slay. Come, let us slay the spirit of gravity!" - Nietzsche

Yes I think Sch has summed it up nicely. If there is a "versus" then you are well and truly on the back foot, it is not going to work at least it is going to be very difficult to go forward.

Just this week for instance, a young girl told me about when her elder sister threw a chair at a teacher. She went on to say that when she told her dad what she had done the parent gave her a "high five" and congratulated her. I asked her why he did this, and she replied that he did it because that's what he was like at school too. You simply cannot work under these circumstances effectively.

Blog Entries
    One thing that is important to remember, it is the job of the public school to educate the child, not necessarily the parent. The parent/s needs to prove care, food, clothing and shelter. It is nice to have a partnership, but sometimes it does turn into one vs. the other. It is the job of the school to provide a free and appropriate public education(FAPE), not the parent's job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
    From the point of vie[IMG][/IMG]w of a child in the 50s and 60s, teachers and parents worked together and represented authority. Now, many children see their parents as a force against the control exercised by teachers - as for what can be done, I honestly don't know!
    No question about it. We have gone to what you described to an attitude that education is thought control. I wonder where that came from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAe_w...eature=related

What's amazing is that there are a certain group of people, adult parents that is, that agree with this philosophic trash.

(Great song though I must say, but philosophic trash nonetheless.)
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    No question about it. We have gone to what you described to an attitude that education is thought control. I wonder where that came from.
    In my more paranoid moments, I wonder whether its some sort of hideous attempt at control by the state. An uneducated populace are probably easier to manipulate and control than a highly educated and aware populace.

From the point of view of a child in the 50s and 60s, teachers and parents worked together and represented authority
    I somewhat disagree. In those days, the teacher was seen as an authority figure because they were considered to be "better" intellectually so the parents did not dare to contradict or question the authority of the teacher rather than "working together".

Today, this has gone from one extreme to the other in most cases. Now, everyone is considered "equal" regardless of their education and knowledge so parents feel free to question teachers at pleasure.

Parents need to realise and accept that they do not always know what is best for their children in educational terms and teachers also need to realise that parents have access to their children's world.
    Quote Originally Posted by jersea View Post
    One thing that is important to remember, it is the job of the public school to educate the child, not necessarily the parent.
    I don't think anyone so far suggested that it is teachers' duty to educate parents but I think it is where things are going wrong as well. Not the teacher individually but it should be institutions responsibiltiy to educate parents too when necessary. As long as parents' negative attitute towards attitude education remains the same, the children will make little process.

I am glad that in the UK, there are great schemes to change this; many parents are invited to take part in classes to improve their own literacy and numeracy skills so that they can help their children as well as their own chances of employbility.

Education parents makes a great difference: Children see their parents showing interest in learning and education. They realise that education is a life-long process and also often hear their parents talking about their regrets over not "finishing school" and so on. Also, parents attending such courses are better equiped to help their children with homeworks. And this is a great deal. One of the most important sources of confrontation between parents and teachers is homeworks. One of my own students was livid with her child's teachers because she was expected to help her son with timestable... And it was mainly because she herself did not know it to begin with.

So, in my opinion, parents and teachers need to work together; what's more, teachers do need to get involved in "educating" the parents whenever necessary.
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    So, in my opinion, parents and teachers need to work together; what's more, teachers do need to get involved in "educating" the parents whenever necessary.
    That really does depend on how receptive the parents are. Also, a lack of education does not necessarily make a bad parent. Neither of my parents have any qualifications, both coming from working-class, inner-city backgrounds, and yet they have always been extremely helpful and supportive of me. If I struggled with an academic problem at school, then I went to a teacher. Certainly, it must be nice if your parents can help you with the work, but I don't think its massively necessary.

That said, I absolutely support life-long learning initiatives. They're a brilliant idea!

That really does depend on how receptive the parents are. Also, a lack of education does not necessarily make a bad parent.
    I agree that parents' initial attitude is very important; however, it is my personal impression from working with such parents for many years that a big part of negative attitude is a defence mechanism.

And I would like to make it clear that "bad" parenting has never become part of the discussion in this thread so far. Lack of education does not equate to bad parenting (of course, definition of "bad" parenting or "bad" parent differ and there will one or two challeng me on this )
    ~
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast