Thread: A History of Potato Salad

A History of Potato Salad

Many of us don't know the history of potato salad. It was first concocted by Ezra Bovine in 1899. Ezra, an Idaho potato farmer and alcoholic irrigator for hire, first served potato salad at the grand opening of the Twin Falls Bar and Grill. My mother's mother was there, and recorded the event in her diary:

June 3rd:

"That drunk brother of mine showed up at the gala grand opening of the TFBG with a large bowl of mush. He called it "potato salad." Of course, everyone there knew he just boiled some spuds, tossed in mayo and onions he stole from his neighbor's garden and brang it so's he could take advantage of the free beer pot-luck. It wasn't bad, but could have used a dollop of mustard and relish."

Ezra Bovine's daughter was only ten years-old at the time, but she made reference to his creation in a letter to the editor of the Twin Falls Gazette several years later:

"As unpopular as my stance may be at this time, I cannot vote for the current Republican candidate for mayor of this fine city with a clear conscience. He reminds me of my father's potato salad which was served at the gala grand opening of the Twin Falls Bar and Grill back in '99. The candidate is soft, mixed-up, and smells of pilfered onions. A dollop of mustard might have helped his image, but seeing it on his tie as he staggered out of a Kimberly flophouse last Saturday just before dawn leads me to believe he has little knowledge of condiments, gourmet fare, or how to steal away in the night, which in my opinion disqualifies him from aquiring my vote, and I sincerely believe my fellow citizens, all upstanding christian spud farmers, (but for the one Jew, Mr. Lettuce Iceberg), will be of the same mind."

Yours, respectfully,
    Ima Bovine
    Twin Falls
    Last edited by DanBierce; 09-30-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Spud's Terkels' Response

This is just too funny. I'm jealous about anyone possessing such a sense of humor. And coming from someone in Idaho? Pardon me, I have to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes. More please.

Thanks, Steven. Glad you got a laugh out of this. I have been here in Idaho since last January. I have lived coast-to-coast and the midwest and northwest. San Francisco Bay Area and Seattle, most of my adult life. Guess that's why I'm a little goofy.

Blog Entries
    This is great, no matter what, especially of you are into genealogy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't really see this being much of a story. No errors, no real issues with the writing style. Not really a story though.

According to an article published at http://www.potatogoodness.com/holida...istory-lesson/
    “It was first introduced to Europe from the New World by Spanish explorers in the 16th century. These early potato salads were made by boiling potatoes in wine or a mixture of vinegar and spices. The more American version of potato salad is rooted in German cuisine and came here with European settlers.”