Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to Begin in Shakespeare's Plays

Quote Originally Posted by mal4mac View Post
    Why not just get the RSC Complete Shakespeare and read it from beginning to end? The history plays then come in order, and you get a light-hearted start with the comedies. The first play is "The Tempest", one of his greatest, so you get a great kick start.

The RSC complete is *better* than any single version I've read because the scholarship is cut down to the essentials. So you get all the help you need, but no boring scholarship to weigh you down (you probably had enough of that doing your degree

Merely working at Borders? Is there a more worthwhile job...
    Haha, well retail really starts to be a drag after a certain amount of time. Also with the economy how it is, hours get cut like crazy, but even if they weren't, I don't think I could take it too much longer. I can't imagine myself wanting to ever pursue a career in retail, even if it involved getting a cushy manager job, because it would take A LOT of money for putting up with the day-to-day monotony of retail. But yes, working at a bookstore is better than working at, say, a clothing store or a restaurant, I imagine (never having done either).

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir777 View Post
    How many on here have read all of his plays?
    I have read many, including some of the apocrypha and at least skimmed the rest if that counts.

And YES! the Riverside IS THE BEST choice for a complete works. Get the recent release which includes Edward III.
    He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    I have read many, including some of the apocrypha and at least skimmed the rest if that counts.

And YES! the Riverside IS THE BEST choice for a complete works. Get the recent release which includes Edward III.
    Edition 2 is the most recent one, correct? One actually just came to our store. I might get it when the next 40% coupon comes out, because that really cuts a huge chunk of the price out. Same goes for buying the Beatles box set.

Edition 2 is the most recent one, correct? One actually just came to our store. I might get it when the next 40% coupon comes out, because that really cuts a huge chunk of the price out. Same goes for buying the Beatles box set.
    Yes, that appears to be so. I'm not convinced about the Funeral Elegy which it also contains, but I still have it in my own library. Oddly it appears to have a portrait NOT of Shakespeare on the cover. Like him and a nice portrait though. Better than that stupid Chandos thing we've been staring at for decades.
    Last edited by xman; 09-30-2009 at 10:47 PM.
    He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    Yes, that appears to be so. I'm not convinced about the Funeral Elegy which it also contains, but I still have it in my own library. Oddly it appears to have a portrait NOT of Shakespeare on the cover. Like him and a nice portrait though. Better than that stupid Chandos thing we've been staring at for decades.
    Wait, wait, so that's not Shakespeare on the cover of Riverside? I recently read an article in a magazine about pictures of Shakespeare and how there were only like 2 that were actually authentic ones, many copies and forgeries.

Blog Entries
    So recently I've been inspired to get more into the classics of literature. Although I just graduated from college and was an English major, the grind of reading multiple books per week really burned me out on reading as a whole, and I didn't get nearly as much out of the many books I read as I would have liked. However, now that I have more time now that I graduated, I'd like to go back and read all the stuff I've missed. Currently I'm reading Lattimore's translation of Iliad, which is good stuff.

However, tackling Shakespeare seems pretty mandatory if you want to get into the history of great literature. I have never read any of his plays, and I would like to ask the opinion of this board as to where I should begin. I have no idea of the order I should go in through his plays, and although I know that there is no set order one should go in and that all of the great ones are great, it's a bit intimidating to know where to start and to know where to go from there. I've heard some say that you should read his histories in order--that they make more sense this way--and I tend to think I will do that, but I doubt I should read all of his big ones in order (or should I?). It'd be nice to have some sort of path to follow along, although I do realize that almost everyone is going to say, "There is no ideal path!" But it can't hurt to ask. I've heard a lot say Hamlet is the best, but it also seems like one of the most challenging, and I'm not sure I'd be up to that (I'd be up for it, but I don't want to be so unversed in Shakespeare that I miss a ton in one of his most brilliant plays). Anyways, hopefully you guys have some suggestions.
    This is so simple, start with Titus Andronicus and I can guarantee you will lose all interest in the Bard forever. Unfortunately there is no easy route to understanding Shakespeare. Try Hamlet, read it once, look to the notes and read it again, and again and again. Once you have mastered it could you please enlighten the whole forum. Seriously, you have to work hard in an intellectual sense and even then there is no certainty of understanding. There is no quick fix for Will, just a determination to try. ' there is no mystery in it '

Quote Originally Posted by jocky View Post
    This is so simple, start with Titus Andronicus and I can guarantee you will lose all interest in the Bard forever. Unfortunately there is no easy route to understanding Shakespeare. Try Hamlet, read it once, look to the notes and read it again, and again and again. Once you have mastered it could you please enlighten the whole forum. Seriously, you have to work hard in an intellectual sense and even then there is no certainty of understanding. There is no quick fix for Will, just a determination to try. ' there is no mystery in it '
    Yeah, from what I understand, you get out of Will what you put into him, but in that sense you can keep getting new things out of him forever, because his well is endless.

Vladimir, I think a great place to start would be Julius Caesar for a few reasons: it's one of Shakespeare's greatest plays but the language isn't as heavy or complex as something like Hamlet.

I think it has an easy flow and a simple elegance, and some of Shakespeare's best characters and is set during a time in history Shakespeare loved and wrote compellingly about. It's got action, drama, war, murder (not "most foul" but still murder), the supernatural, and one of the best moments in all of Shakespeare: Julius' Caesar's death, Mark Antony's soliloquy and funeral oration.

If you don't want to explore all the deep themes but just want an interesting read, then this is the play. It reads more like a thriller and trust me, the action never stops.
    Last edited by Abdiel; 10-04-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: I thought of more things to say

Quote Originally Posted by Abdiel View Post
    Vladimir, I think a great place to start would be Julius Caesar for a few reasons: it's one of Shakespeare's greatest plays but the language isn't as heavy or complex as something like Hamlet.

I think it has an easy flow and a simple elegance, and some of Shakespeare's best characters and is set during a time in history Shakespeare loved and wrote compellingly about. It's got action, drama, war, murder (not "most foul" but still murder), the supernatural, and one of the best moments in all of Shakespeare: Julius' Caesar's death, Mark Antony's soliloquy and funeral oration.

If you don't want to explore all the deep themes but just want an interesting read, then this is the play. It reads more like a thriller and trust me, the action never stops.
    Thanks for the advice, Abdiel, I will take it into strong consideration. Now that there is a 40% coupon available at my bookstore, I might be getting the Riverside Shakespeare soon.

I would say this depends on a lot of things like your personal temperament and how much time/effort you plan on devoting to reading Shakespeare. Since I was determined to read everything he wrote I simply got a complete edition (the Norton because it was the cheapest at the time) and read it from beginning to end since it had the plays listed in (roughly) chronological order. The early plays are a real mix in quality, but the middle plays start to get great (from Romeo & Juliet/Midsummer Night's Dream on) and from there on it's just transcendent masterpiece after transcendent "Oh-my-god-I-could-never-write-like-that-in-my-life-how-did-that-f'ing-Bard-WRITE-THAT?!!!" masterpiece.

If you just want "the best", just start with the "big four" tragedies; Hamlet, Othello, King Lear, and Macbeth and then read Julius Caesar, Antony and Cleopatra, Romeo & Juliet, and Coriolanus to round them out. For the comedies, they're really a more personal thing and everyone has their favorites. I love his late Romances (Pericles, Cymbeline, Winter's Tale, The Tempest) and my two favorite comedies of his are A Midsummer Night's Dream and As You Like It. His "problem plays" (Measure for Measure, Troilus and Cressida, All's Well that Ends Well) are great but probably better tackled later when you're better equipped to realize Shakespeare's breaking down of dramatic/comedic conventions. I also love The Merchant of Venice for its interpretational complexity.

The Histories are, for me, hit-and-miss. Henry VI parts 1-3 he wrote at the beginning of his career and I was only mildly interesting. The concluding part of the his early History quartet is Richard III which is one of the best, however. His second Historical quartet consists of Richard II (the weakest link) Henry IV 1 and 2 (both very good) and Henry V (great). King John was mixed for me; I'd have to read it again to really decide how I felt about it.

Personally, I'd recommend mixing it up; mix tragedies and comedies equally to keep your interest or to fit your mood. Reading a heavy tragedy when you're in the mood for a comedy is a sure-fire way to lose interest. Also, definitely augment reading Shakespeare with watching/listening to Shakespeare. The BBC has DVDs out of all of his plays and even though they vary in quality it's great to see the plays acted out. There are, of course, tons of film adaptations and many great ones. I'd recommend anything by Olivier or Brannagh. I also highly, HIGHLY recommend Arkangel's Shakespeare on CD which are dramatic readings of his plays on disc. The entire set is $420 but I got mine from the library, ripped it to my PC and burned it onto CD-Rs and they're fantastic. They use the Complete Pelican for the text and it's helpful if you follow along while listening to it.

Good luck in your journey! For me, discovering Shakespeare was like discovering the greatest friend I never knew I had. There's something in Shakespeare for every mood, occasion, thought, etc. The only thing frustrating about him is realizing the impossibility of ever being that good!
    Last edited by MorpheusSandman; 10-21-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Ah, Morpheus, you've somewhat inspired me to go through them chronologically! I just got the Riverside Shakespeare, so it's definitely something I could do easily (while in terms of having the available materials on hand...it might take a while to get through). I'm really thinking I might do that, but then again, might not. I am reading All the Pretty Horses now, and once I finish that and a Bill Bryson book on Shakespeare, I'll begin my first play. Thanks for the reply.

It's taken me about a year to go all 38 plays, 2 long poems, and 154 sonnets; but I don't read them everyday, either, as I obviously take breaks to read other things and for music, film, etc. I've always found it best to read Shakespeare in spurts and then put him down for a while and come back when you're hungry for more. Reading plays is a bit odd because you have to keep in mind they were intended to be ACTED and not READ. Even though I enjoy reading them I think I enjoy thinking about what I read more than actually reading it (if that makes sense). Watching or listening to it acted is really where the fun is, but reading them is a great way to familiarize yourself with the nuances more beforehand.
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." --Carl Gustav Jung

"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due." --Neil Gaiman; The Sandman Vol. 4: Season of Mists

"I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh" --The Proclaimers

Hamlet is my favorite and I suggest start with Hamlet. It is immaculate.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdiel View Post

Agreed. It's a very visual play and the plot's pretty simple, so you can find your way through without much difficulty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12