Thread: Favorite of Emerson's Work?

Blog Entries

Favorite of Emerson's Work?

It seems that Emerson possesses the talent of reaching into the core essence of man or woman and expressing truths about humanity and nature in beautifully simple and poignant manners. I consider him among other things a masterful pedagogue of truths universally unacknowledged. But my question for you is which is your favorite work of his and why? I myself cannot decide but would love to hear from you.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have read a lot of Emerson in my time. And, I began by loving "Self-reliance". I was young and the essay spoke to my need for separation from the rest of society. But, today, there is one essay that comes to me again and again. It's his masterpiece, in my opinion: "Experience".

"Experience" deals with how hope struggles with apathy and tragedy, how it falters, and how it can re-emerge from life's wrecks and heaps changed (yes), but intact. Stronger. Wiser.

"Where do we find ourselves?" is the opening line. Indeed.
    Last edited by The Comedian; 11-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Blog Entries
    I have that on my bookcase and have not gotten to it yet. I found "Circles" quite riveting and "experience" as you describe it seems just as good.
    Dignity and majesty I have seen but once, as it stood in chains, at midnight, in a dungeon in an obscure village of Missouri. Parley P. Pratt

Blog Entries
    I like "Circles" quite a bit as well. I remember one of my former philosophy professors favored that essay above all else of Emerson's work.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

I just recently started reading Emerson for my English class, so I have only read a few of his works but so far I love "Self-Reliance" the most. It reminded me to remain independent despite societal pressures (especially in high school) to mimic everyone else.
    "The great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
    I really look forward to finding or making time to read more of his work.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad that you enjoyed "Self-Reliance." I still read that essay from time to time whenever I need to recharge my enthusiasm. I've always found Emerson to be a great minister for the secular. If you have the chance, check out his essays "Circles" and "Experience" two of my very favorites.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

A Secular Conversion

I grew up in a fairly religious household, not terribly strict but devout nonetheless. When I finally threw off the tether it was Emerson that caught me and helped me pick myself back up. Leaving the authority of the church I naturally asked myself "now what?" I cannot express the thrill I felt when I found that Emerson had written collections of books titled "The Conduct of Life" and "Representative Men" and I thought, "Here are beacons for myself, a place to start out."

I personally don't have a favorite essay, I might suggest Self-Reliance because it is the essay I have read most and most familiar with. Nature, The Divinity School Address, and The American Scholar are of course outstanding as well. My favorite Emerson quote:

There may be two or three or four steps, according to the genius of each, but for every seeing soul there are two absorbing facts, — I and the Abyss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perscors View Post
    I grew up in a fairly religious household, not terribly strict but devout nonetheless. When I finally threw off the tether it was Emerson that caught me and helped me pick myself back up. Leaving the authority of the church I naturally asked myself "now what?" I cannot express the thrill I felt when I found that Emerson had written collections of books titled "The Conduct of Life" and "Representative Men" and I thought, "Here are beacons for myself, a place to start out."

I personally don't have a favorite essay, I might suggest Self-Reliance because it is the essay I have read most and most familiar with. Nature, The Divinity School Address, and The American Scholar are of course outstanding as well. My favorite Emerson quote:

There may be two or three or four steps, according to the genius of each, but for every seeing soul there are two absorbing facts, — I and the Abyss.
    Good to see another Emerson fan on LitNet. I've never read "The Conduct of Life". But I'll have to look into reading it. Emerson and morning coffee are such a perfect match. . . I'll have to give this essay a go tomorrow when the sun rises.
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy

Love, Self-reliance, american scholar, over-soul. I owe Emerson my life. If you have not ever read Rilke, i suggest you do and immediately go and read his "letters to a young poet."

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." - Emerson, Self-reliance

"He then learns that in going down into the secrets of his own mind he has descended into the secrets of all minds... The poet, in utter solitude remembering his spontaneous thoughts and recording them, is found to have recorded that which men in crowded cities find true for them also." Emerson, American scholar