Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox and MH television

biting writer

Fox and MH television

I do not want to put too fine a point on this topic, one that has been brewing in my head over the last couple of days, but The Fox Network seems to be doing some interesting things with the mental health subculture--at least in its current incarnation in the States. House, which is one of my favorite shows, despite its flaws, has had an ongoing flirtation with mental illness since its inception--whereas with physical disability it is sometimes too cavalier, with mental health, House's relationship to patients with behavioral issues, related to disease or not, this seems to be a little more complex, whether it be with autism, disinhibition, delusion, etc., and this season opener took it head on, but how accurate it is about MH and its treatment, well that is another matter. The writers, both on House, and the new pretty boy one, Mental, they pay lip service to the issue of the complications surrounding diagnosis and treatment, but still, each episode is up in 50 minutes, and off we go to the next case, or the next puzzle.

I think it would be nice if they drew this out once in awhile, and really showed the treatment of MH issues as a complex process--aside from House's monkey on his back.

I actually worked in the trenches of mental illness and integration, and it is not always pretty psychiatrists and patients who get prize keys of revelation; it isn't always neat and clean. I grant that these dramas are entertainment, but I wonder if they should display even more courage now and again, push the envelope a little further.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for pointing this out Jozy. I did see the trailer for the openning of House and thought it interesting. I don't however watch much TV any more, so I doubt I'll watch. But I would be interested in your thoughts.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

biting writer
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out Jozy. I did see the trailer for the openning of House and thought it interesting. I don't however watch much TV any more, so I doubt I'll watch. But I would be interested in your thoughts.
    Of course you do not watch, with your career, but television is the best friend of the marginalized, like me and Frank; it is the one thing he and I have in common, except I like it deep and he loves trash. I am seriously thinking about starting a disability arts blog on film and television, and then closing my poor Yahoo group once I start it, but I worry that it might be too *esoteric*, to use Gil Ott's phrase (now deceased) when he was on my also-failed disability literature list.

I am a horrid list owner I guess, but DIA had some fine moments in its early years.

Fox deserves some credit for House and Mental. House used to be a near masterpiece, in terms of popular television character study, and Mental does borrow a few nicely played key notes from independent living ideology, i.e., patient autonomy, but I worry about both shows being too pretty people oriented, too slick, too gift-wrapped around the emphasis on fixing what's broken, like House himself, who has a near comic book ability to renew his brokeness. I guess I am an amateur House scholar.

I am even toying with the idea of submitting an episode to Fox, if the Screen Writer's Guild wouldn't shoot me. I've never written a script, but I guess you could now call me a Hugh Laurie devotee; he made this character, in the real and rare sense of the word.

Hugs anyway!
    Last edited by Jozanny; 09-22-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozanny View Post
    Hugs anyway!
    Ah, thank you my friend.

What do you mean my career? I come home after work like everyone else. I used to watch TV, but now I'm wasting my time on the internet. I really should do some writing. I attempt it every once in while.

The few times I've caught half an episode of House I have to admit it was very good. I've never even heard of Mental.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

biting writer
    Ah, thank you my friend.

The few times I've caught half an episode of House I have to admit it was very good. I've never even heard of Mental.
    They are running Mental as a summer filler series. Here is a site , and damn, the lead is hot hot hot. You can find it on Fox too. I'll see if they offer episodes online.

Maybe not. I am on the Fox page.
    Last edited by Jozanny; 09-22-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: searching for the show

Blog Entries
    They are running Mental as a summer filler series. Here is a site , and damn, the lead is hot hot hot. You can find it on Fox too. I'll see if they offer episodes online.
    It does seem enticing. Thanks.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

biting writer
    You're welcome. I hope they aren't going to cancel it though. I don't see a capsule for it on the network site.

Blog Entries
    You're welcome. I hope they aren't going to cancel it though. I don't see a capsule for it on the network site.
    Check the ratings. If their good, they won't cancel it. Mental illness makes for great stories by the way.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

biting writer
    David Carradine gave his last performance on Mental, btw.

Blog Entries
    I haven't watched Mental yet, though I'm a keen fan of House. I do believe it's a masterpiece.

Of course you do not watch, with your career, but television is the best friend of the marginalized
    I can relate. I love my margin, with my PC, my Internet connection, my TV set and DVD player... does anyone believe I should leave my corner? Should I take my DVDs with me if I do?

Fox deserves some credit for House and Mental. House used to be a near masterpiece, in terms of popular television character study, and Mental does borrow a few nicely played key notes from independent living ideology, i.e., patient autonomy, but I worry about both shows being too pretty people oriented, too slick, too gift-wrapped around the emphasis on fixing what's broken, like House himself, who has a near comic book ability to renew his brokeness. I guess I am an amateur House scholar.
    Interesting review.

I am even toying with the idea of submitting an episode to Fox, if the Screen Writer's Guild wouldn't shoot me. I've never written a script
    There's always a first time for everything Jozy. Besides, with your interesting ideas included, I think an episode written by you would give the story a very appealing turn

Really? I didn't know... thanks for telling!

Blog Entries
    Hmm, was that what he was filming before he did what he did?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

biting writer
    Hmm, was that what he was filming before he did what he did?
    While he was still in the States, I guess. They had a memoriam for him at the end of the show. It was somewhat eerie, as the episode itself had an ethereal quality to it, and Carradine never spoke a word, but carried the entire cast. I'd say he upstaged Chris Vance, who plays the wonder boy psychiatrist who is himself not entirely balanced (and this conceit is nothing new to a writer like me, but Vance doesn't make it a cliche either).

I would hand over my entire savings for two hours with Vance. I care not a wit about my spastic scars. He could cry rape to the LA police 50 times over for all I care.

It is odd though. I tried two links to Mental on the Fox Network site, and nothing doing. I know this was a limited run series to give the hungry something to chew on over the summer, but they should keep a promo up if they are staying with it. I don't know how Fox responds to such questions, but I care enough to ask if they are keeping it in the line up.
    Last edited by Jozanny; 09-25-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Fox is frustrating my searches

Blog Entries
    Let us know if they respond.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

biting writer
    Let us know if they respond.
    If I wanted to display my impetuousness I'd ask you why I should, but I guess, this morning, I am both esoteric and vacuous (what did she say?), and just found out why I would even need to query a literary agency.

You need a literary agent to submit scripts for television shows! Frank, like Max, said I love House so much why not try my hand at an episode, but I wonder if it would be taking on too much. I have seen almost every episode of House twice, some three times. I will have to think about it and remember that I do not have unusual pathologies readily on hand.

Still, on a thematic level, Fox is doing something interesting here, maybe even under-cutting its own reputation. I thought it would be worth discussing, but obviously no one engages Fox for its highbrow ambitions, at least not in this forum...

Blog Entries
    Well I took a vacation day just so I could watch the season premiere of House. I'm sort of hoping the theme for this year is renewal and healing. You might be interested in the site TeleviisonWithoutPity where there is a House entry with forums and fan fiction is posted. I generally read the episode summaries to get the finer points I may have missed watching the episodes and I have all seasons so far on DVD. Season 5 is due anytime now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast