Thread: Summary!

Unhappy Summary!

Hello fellows
    Does any of You have summary of Phantom of the Opera?
    It's essential for me, believe Try to help asap, I'll be grateful.
    Cheers
    Michael

Hi Michael, I hope this summary enough for you
    Christine, an orphan, is brought up in an opera-house in France, where she is a ballerina. Her father was a famous musician, and she has been taught to sing, although she doesn't actually know by who, despite telling anyone who asks that it is the 'Angel of Music' who is teaching her to sing. In the opera house, there is a phantom, who has been known to ruin productions by cutting ropes and who has hung people from the stage a couple of times. Her ballet teacher explains that this phantom is in fact a disfigured man who grew up as a circus freak (Child of the Devil etc.), and it was she who brought him to the opera house. The Phantom demands an enormous salary each month, and when the Opera house is sold to two men, they refuse to pay his salary, thus causing him to poison a singer so that Christine will perform, and hang the man from behind the scenes. The Phantom (who wears a white mask over the disfigured part of his face) falls in love with Christine and keeps her below the opera house. Christine falls in love with a man she spent her childhood with, Raoul, and the Phantom eventually lets her go, and she marries him.

summary...

just thought I should let you know, this seems to be a mix between the alw movie/musical and the novel. these things are incorrect:

"Her ballet teacher explains that this phantom is in fact a disfigured man who grew up as a circus freak (Child of the Devil etc.), and it was she who brought him to the opera house."

that's not true... although that's how madame giry explains erik's past to raoul in the movie/alw version.

"The Phantom (who wears a white mask over the disfigured part of his face)..."

this also refers to other phantoms. in leroux, erik wears a full face mask that's black silk. and his whole face is disfigured, not just a section of it.

a minor thing, erik doesn't poison carlotta, in my mind that would mean he killed her or something horrible (which he is capable of, by the way). he just makes her ill somehow, leroux isn't specific.

Which version do you want a summary of? There have been many since the original book. All have differences in their presentation.

POTO Phan
    One of the differences is that a lot of versions have their own story of how Erik got disfigured, (or *gasp* was not disfigured AT ALL!).
    P.G.7.
    Totally Obsessed Phantom Phan!

I am also a fan of: Lion King, High School Musical, Harry Potter, Disney in general, Days of Our Lives, Musicals in general, Dr. Seuss and Grinch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avari View Post
    just thought I should let you know, this seems to be a mix between the alw movie/musical and the novel. these things are incorrect:

"Her ballet teacher explains that this phantom is in fact a disfigured man who grew up as a circus freak (Child of the Devil etc.), and it was she who brought him to the opera house."

that's not true... although that's how madame giry explains erik's past to raoul in the movie/alw version.

"The Phantom (who wears a white mask over the disfigured part of his face)..."

this also refers to other phantoms. in leroux, erik wears a full face mask that's black silk. and his whole face is disfigured, not just a section of it.

a minor thing, erik doesn't poison carlotta, in my mind that would mean he killed her or something horrible (which he is capable of, by the way). he just makes her ill somehow, leroux isn't specific.
    Ha ha ... Obviously a Leroux fanatic ...

Good question ehath; what version of phantom is a summary wanted of? If you you wanted the general idea of the storyline, paledancer has the right idea, but for a summary of the book, I'd go to avari
    Check out my music blog! <http://lilac-skies.blogspot.com/>

Phantom Addict
    Blog Entries
    tO CLEEAR UP cARLOTTA...the Phantom changed her voice via ventriloquism. He hid in a column beside a voice and cast his voice in Carlotta's throat, sounding like a toad. Leroux speicifies in the ending chapters "'... and now it's in Carlotta's throat, Carlotta's crystal throat, saying 'it is I, Mr. Toad, it is I singing: I feel COAK!