Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mr. Bennet's Favourite Son-in-law (Sarcasm?)

I thought Mr. Bennet's reason for saying Wickham was his favourite was because Wickham got Lydia off his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    You've got to be kidding me - he is simply being ironic, since he hates Whickham - Wayne C. Booth mentions this exact quote in his book The Rhetoric of Irony, right in the beginning, where he mentions a student bringing up the same misreading as an example of unstable irony, since the actual implication of interpretation is not spelled out, yet we can, in comparison with the other trends of the book, decipher a sort of intense irony here, where he mocks Whickham by calling him his favorite. It's not meant to show a preference for Whickham, but merely show a dislike for Whickham, as he loathes the guy, or certainly likes him less than the others but admittedly doesn't wish to decide whether he likes Bingley or Darcy more.

I thought that was relatively clear,
    I am in agreement with this view... though I didn't know it was rhetoric... and it didn't appear to me to be "mocking". Perhaps in the culture of the day, the classic British understatement meant more to them then, than it does to me now. Regardless, I still gathered that he was being sarcastic.
    I became a widow in April of 2009.

Blog Entries
    I agree... I believe Mr. Bennet says Wickham is his favourite because he is obviously not - a bit like how he complements Collins' letters/manners when he is clearly a sycophantic moron ("a most conscientious and polite young man"). I don't believe he could enjoy the company of a man who caused him so much previous anguish (even though it was resolved).

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    You've got to be kidding me - he is simply being ironic, since he hates Wickham ... we can, in comparison with the other trends of the book, decipher a sort of intense irony here, where he mocks Wickham by calling him his favorite.
    It's plausible that Mr Bennet continues to despise Wickham for his treachery, yet still finds him most admirable company as a son-in-law. After all, Mr Bennet remains ever amenable to a wife he dismisses as an idiot, not to mention two silly young daughters. That ‘he mocks Wickham’ is most unlikely: why poke fun at the son-in-law who clearly has the last laugh. Besides, the comparison with Bingley or Darcy hardy suggests mockery or sarcasm, but rather, exquisite and extremely amusing irony.

Above all, a comedy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12