Thread: Do you beleive in Yoga?

Do you beleive in Yoga?

There are too many Yogis, mushrooming in numbers in India., and recently Ram Dev has gained fame, name, money through the Yoga. He in point of fact through his oratory power has influenced tens and thousand of people. He claims that so many people have recovered from a variety of diseases. At times he claims as if his method of treatments is better than scientific methods.

He recommends Yogic and Ayurvedic techniques about healing.

I believe in science. Not that I do not believe in Ayurveda. Of course there is wisdom in Ayurveda, the practice of which has been carried out for a millennium.

But the difference between these two is that Ayurveda is more of a belief system whereas modern medicinal methods are more science based, thus,more experimental and observational. And that is why I the method of science.

In India there are many Sadhus, Yogis who have earned global fame and made millions not only in India but all over the world.

But it is very difficult to distinguish a real Guru from the dozen of fake ones.

But to believe in anything blindly and follow a course without observing is not my way at all.

I pay due respect to all these Gurus and Sadhus, but I find most of them hypocritical.

Here the main objective of this post is to awaken all to the fact that following a Path oftentimes leads to the downfall.

India is home to all those who seek spirituality, but many will fall victims too while following a particular path thoughtlessly.

I of course believe in ancient wisdom. Though some of the practices carried anciently cannot be wielded scientifically but nevertheless there are so many values in them. But if you believe in them without kind of testing and take every word of these Yogis as pears of wisdom you you will be trapped.'

For example, if you totally blindly follow what Ram Dev has said when it comes curing a disease you will not only be disappointed but you will have repentance in due course.

Life is short, and we want to do lots of things in life, but hardly we can have time for all that we want. We must make the best choice and fulfill our desires.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    There's another linguistic connection for you. The word 'yoga' means 'union' & is virtually the same as the English word 'yoke' meaning to join together.
    docendo discimus

I practice yoga breathing techniques but no longer do the exercises. Unfortunately, because of my advancing age and declining health, I do not have the flexibility to do the asanas that helped me in my sporting days.

Ayurvedic medicine may alleviate but rarely cure illness. They may be OK if used in addition to allopathic medicine but should never be used in its place.
    “... by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord ... I am now, as before, a Catholic and will always remain so.”

--- Adolf Hitler

I wouldn't say it's really something to "believe in", it's just a philosophy.
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play

Blog Entries
    There are eight main types of yogas, I think. Some of them are Jnana yoga, Raja yoga, bhakti yoga - all of them are a path of one kind or another to self-realization or God-realization. Bhakti, which means devotion, for instance, is a method of relinking to the Supreme through devotion. There are also Kundalini, Hatha, Priya - I know less of these. I practice as much as possible phyiscal yoga but it's inseparable in my practice from exercises from Tai Chi and Aikido and so on.

Blog Entries
    I thought there were actually 18 forms of yoga, although I can't name them all. I may be wrong about this but I was under the impression that it was the same number as there were chapters in the Bhagavad Gita. I can't remember where I read this.
    docendo discimus

Blog Entries
    My favourite philosopher on Yoga is Sri Aurobindo who with his concept of Integral Yoga gave us a fascinating philosophy, psychology of personality and exploration of etaphysics and spiritual experiences. Sri Aurobindo wrote from revelations and experiences of higher states of consciousness. In The Life Divine he gave us a most detailed understanding of a very vast array of topics, ranging from the basics of the laws of nature unto hitherto unknown heights of ecstacy and revelation.

Yoga is an ancient tradition from India that is contained in the Vedic literature.
    Yoga comes from the rich yuj which means connecting / connected. So that the real meaning of Yoga is to connect with God.
    Yoga is divided into four parts called Catur Marga Yoga (four road / how to connect with God), namely:
    1. Bakti Marga Yoga
    Bakti is love, in this case Bhakti is a deep love for God. So Bakti Marga Yoga is a way to achieve freedom or moksa based on love and devotion to God's bow.
    From the way he realize, bhakti is divided into two

* PARA BHAKTI
    * APARA BHAKTI

Para means 'main'; Para Bhakti means so the main way to do bhakti to God, while not Apara Bhakti means major; so Apara Bhakti does not mean that the main way to do bhakti to God. Apara Bhakti devotees carried out by the level of intelligence and spiritual awareness of the medium. Phara bhakti carried out by the level of intelligence and high spiritual consciousness of devotees.
    2. Karma Marga Yoga
    Karma is action. So Karma Marga Yoga is a way to achieve moksa through work or deed without bond, selfless, sincere and honest, full of good deeds and sacrifice. In Karma Yoga Marga, deeds and the work is a return with the release of all the results or fruits of all actions and everything he does. By doing selfless good deeds, will be able to restore the emotional and atma release from worldly ties.
    3. Jnana Marga Yoga
    Jnana means wisdom or philosophy of science. So Jnana Marga Yoga is a way to achieve liberation or moksa is based on scientific or philosophical wisdom of truth.
    4. Raja Marga Yoga
    Raja Marga Yoga is a way to achieve perfect freedom based on the implementation of Tapa Brata Semadhi.Tapa and Brata Yoga is an exercise to control your emotions (passion), while Yoga and exercise for Semadhi is able to unite the atman with Brahman (God) to make concentrations of the letter precisely in the calm atmosphere perfect semadhi. A Raja Yoga will be able to connect themselves with God's example by doing Yoga Astangga the eight ways to do to achieve Moksha Yoga, namely:

a. Yama (the ban)
    Yama is disciplined restraint of the desire of lust means Yama is a form of prohibition that should be done by someone from the physical aspect, for example, prohibited killing (Ahimsa), prohibited lying (satya), never wanted something that was not hers (Asetya), abstinence Sexual (Brahmacari)
    b. Nyama
    Nyama is more self pengendlian spiritual nature, for example sauca (permanent sacred inner and outer), Santosa (always satisfied with what you came), Swadhyaya (studying books of religious books), and always devoted to the god.
    c. Asana
    Asana is a relaxing sitting attitude, orderly and disciplined..
    d. Pranayama
    Pranayama is a breathing set to become perfect through three ways, among others Puraka (breathe), Kumbhaka (ie the process of holding breath), and Recaka (exhale).
    e. Pratyahara
    Pratyahara of control and control of senses from the object ties, so that people can see things sacred.
    f. Dhyana
    Dhyana is concentration of mind, to an immovable object. Dhyana can be done to palace deity.
    g. Dharana
    Dharana is the effort to unite the efforts of mind with the desired target.
    h. Smaddhi
    Namely the union of atman with Brahman.

So, Yoga is done by most people around the world in the form of movement is Asana there on the part of Raja Marga Yoga.
    Meditation for peace and processing of breath is Pranayama.
    This is not have to do with the pronunciation of the mantra (purification of mind). So, anyone can make an effort to get to this accurate health. Today, modern medicine is far below the greatness of Yoga. By doing Yoga, can cure a person from an incurable disease by modern medical treatment.

Yoga contribution to the world not only that. Come to think of, there is another movement that art can heal like Kung Fu and Tai Chi as we know them are contributed by the martial arts of the country, by China. Contributions had been known around the world even I have to say honestly first Kung Fu fame and more fame in the world of Yoga and I am personally very fond of Kung Fu. If we look at it wisely, we would ask why the Yoga movement very similar to Kung Fu movements? Well, I say, too, the contribution that China had given us as fitting that Hindus should be proud. Because, the history of Kung Fu began thousands of years ago in which a Brahmin from India came to a temple in China to provide a spiritual lesson. At the time of learning, the Brahmins of India found that the students were not excited limp in learning. Thus, the Brahmans teach yoga to their excited again. But these Brahmins given in a different way, he tried to do yoga more quickly and developed into Kung Fu.
    Source: Liberty magazine
    This words, I translate with google (Indonesian>English). Forgive me for writing that can not be understood.
    Last edited by Radha Krsna; 02-03-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Did you ever doing good to others? If you did, that means that you do Yoga, exactly Karma Yoga...
    Did you know that the science of Albert Einstein is very useful for human? It means that he do Yoga, exactly Jnana Yoga...