Thread: Augustine, our friend.

Augustine, our friend.

Dear friends,

After reading two books by St. Augustine (Confessions and The City of God) and the great biography of him by Peter Brown, Augustine of Hippo (University of California Press, 2000), I think if I were given the chance to go back in history and meet and live in company with any great person, I would choose Augustine of Hippo. He was so human and such a man full of love. After his conversion at the age of 32, he still wanted to live with a community of friends, and every one of them would eat at his table. What conversations they must have had! His insights are so incredibly enlightening! No matter what he talks about in his books, you constantly find jewels to take with you on the path of life. The present Pope (Benedict XVI), when he was asked what books he would take to a desert island if he were allowed only two, replied: "The Bible and the Confessions of St. Augustine." I think Augustine is the most underrated author in history.
    Last edited by Truthlover; 08-11-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You should post your comments upon the general literature board as well in order to draw some attention to Augustine. There are certainly more than a few who have read his works and would love to comment.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

It is going to be a long road. I just listened to a few minutes of his confessions, and it did not sound at all like a normal conversation. He is talking to God as far as I understand. That is what I heard.

To tell you the truth, I plan on putting some effort into this, so that I can have an idea of what this person believed. He is someone that I have to try to understand.

I see that there is at least one reference book. After listening to the first few minutes, I'm going to need another reference in order to figure out what Augustine is talking about.

It makes me feel like an outsider. In all honesty this is one of the central purposes of my life now, just to figure out this person and read the Bible. In a way, I have no choice, but I am not saying that I do not want to do it. He sounded very analytical. I can't think that way myself, there was a time when I could. I'll try not to take it too seriously, and than blast through it, but a recording is no good, not for that type of conversation unless you already know what to expect. I was lost after about ten seconds.
    Last edited by Kraken; 10-22-2011 at 02:53 AM.