Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 'Chick-lit'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Veho View Post
    It's been interesting to read all the replies. My brother reads modern war books; they're usually entitled 'Commando' or something similar. I guess these might be read by males, predominantly.
    When I was 14 me and my class mates used to read and swop Sven Hessel novels, with titles like "Wheels of Terror" and "Legion of the Damned". Non of the girls participated. They were reading "Little Women" and The Follyfoot series, (pony adventures.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Cross examine that with the male characters - are they any less stereotypical - ones obsessed with chivalry rather ironically, or with gambling, or with horses? Do the men act any less spoiled or selfish? Some of them, I would wager, probably are portrayed as conscious of their looks as the female characters. It isn't sexism, merely bad characterization - the question is about equality, and, quite simply, if anything one should be arguing the other way, and condemning Jordan for mistreatment of men within his fantasy society.

As for the obsession with clothing, for instance, that is part of Jordan's schtick - he is obsessed with culture, and clothing is perhaps the best visual way to demonstrate differences.

Lets be honest - are the male characters any more mature, and are they any less self centered, and preoccupied with issues that aren't related - such as drinking, gambling, as apposed to fashion, dancing - the definition of feminism is essentially a desire for equality between males a females - clearly Jordan doesn't sketch them as being neutered, or ungendered, but that doesn't imply that he sketches them as being unequal - there are more "powerful (in the fantasy sense" female characters than male characters - Jordan, as I have said before, merely doesn't know anything about women, and guesses what he thinks women would do, and gets it wrong too often.

There are gender issues, but not built on sexism, but rather perhaps a too peculiar gender divide, based on one man's inability to understand characters.

At any rate though, I've met female readers of the texts who like the particular episodes obsessed with such things as fashion - I know someone who thinks that the most interesting aspect of the series - the different things people wear. But, when it comes down to it, in terms of equality, there isn't really one instance of men being portrayed as somehow "better" than women, or even in higher places of authority because of their gender, whereas there are plenty of examples in the opposite way, of women, because of gender, being higher than men.

So in a sense, it is a sexist text, but not a misogynist one.
    I agree with much of what you have said here. The men are in their own way equally stereotyped as the women are in how they are portrayed. There is Rand's view toward women in which while the Maidens of the Spear are just as capable as the men in war, he somehow thinks he has to protect them more so than the men in his ideas of chivalry, and the fact that he cannot even kill one of the most vile women there is, when she would kill him and all his friends, in a heart beat, just because she is a woman, and the ideas some of the men have that they have to deny themselves love because of the lifestyle they live.

The men can be equally hardheaded and stubborn, as well as immature as the women in certain instances, and they can also often be preoccupied with admiring the physical assets of other women.

Yet, at the same time, I find that the male characters on the whole come off as much more likeable than that of many of the female characters, I am often left rooting for or feeling sorry for some of the men because of the way the women are trying to always manipulate them around.
    Last edited by Dark Muse; 08-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I read the first 6 books of Goodkind. I found that his descriptions were kind of stale and his writing-style was kind of boring. The first book was great, though it contained many story,character, and plot flaws. I also didn't really care for the overuse of sex that wasn't at all tasteful, given the plot.

It was almost as if he wanted to find any sexual situation in which to put all of his many heroines/villianesses. He writes with much description of the female body in a sexual way, but he does not use the same amount of sexual description for his male characters.
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play

its boggling how threads can just up and die...

I didn't read everything carefully, so I might have missed an operative definition of "chick lit." id like to offer one up just for the purpose of some things I have to say afterwards. chick lit (and its modern cousin chick flick) is writing predominantly focused on romantic relationships through the eyes of predominantly female characters.

its not that men don't like romance per se, or cant or don't read jane austen, or jane eyre, but its not their natural bent (maybe unless we include chivalric romance).

im reminded of the phrase "women give sex to get love and men give love to get sex."

and one from Seinfeld when it comes to how the genders use the tv remote: "men hunt, and women nest."

and this one I surmised: romance novels are for women what playboy magazine is for men.

I think the main reason im posting here after a 14yr lull in the thread is that the title reminded me of an interaction I had a few years ago that's worth sharing. I was talking with someone I knew from high school days and was asking how his kids were doing in school. one of his kids was a boy in 10th grade, and he wasn't liking English class at all. I asked why not---well they were reading jane austen for goodness sake!

if one of the goals in high school English class is for students to develop an appreciation for literature, let me submit that having 16yr old boys reading chick lit isn't the best way to do it!
    Last edited by bounty; 04-18-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    "if one of the goals in high school English class is for students to develop an appreciation for literature, let me submit that having 16yr old boys reading chick lit isn't the best way to do it!"

Lol ! "Tragedy, Epic, and Myth" class worked well for me.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

I had a girlfriend once tell me Tom Clancy’s books were romance novels for men.
    Uhhhh...

during my high school days, seniors in English took four ten-week mini courses as opposed to one long 40 week class. during my junior year the English dept solicited ideas for new mini courses. I suggested "survival literature" and they adopted it. I took the class the following year but ironically cannot remember what we read! but, to this day I still love survival literature.

at least one or two people earlier in the thread mentioned Clancy. its an interesting consideration. if I had to guess though, I suspect more females read Clancy than males read harlequin.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234