Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psychoanalytic Readings of The Snow White and Hansel and Gretel

Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Literature is not a science. None of it is provable, that's not the point of it. I can't understand your argument here at all.
    The problem is that, like Evolution, Freudian Psychoanalysis is treated like a empirical science and that it tries to heal people with psychological problems despite of its shortcomings.

Fairy tales often include unbalanced personalities such as cannibal step-mothers or fathers with incest inclinations. By becoming one of the lynchpin interpretators of fairy tales, Psychoanalysis also claim a right to treat actual people.

If it is not empirical, it is dogmatic or inspirational. That's why one finds it hard to counteract psychoanalytic claims.
    ars sine scienta nihil

Hi Kiki, thank you for your answer! Yes, I agree with you that there are good stepmothers as well (would be a dreadful world if not ) and that there is a lot of projections and emotions influencing the notion of stepmothers as bad.
    Otherwise you'll find the evil stepmother theme even in ancient Greek myths, so I do not believe that the reputation of stepmothers was ruined by the written fairy tales of modern Europe. I think the origin of this notion is much older and much better grounded. I'd put it rater down to dynastic interests and inheritance conflicts and the biological fact that brood care behavior is influenced by genetic similiarity. Furthermore in socities with high infant mortality infanticide is hardly detectable and therefore factually not sanctioned.
    Well, finally there might be a whole bunch of causes for this notion, economical and psychological as well.
    Last edited by amarna; 07-27-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beroq View Post
    The problem is that, like Evolution, Freudian Psychoanalysis is treated like a empirical science...
    If it is not empirical, it is dogmatic or inspirational. That's why one finds it hard to counteract psychoanalytic claims.
    Yepp, Freudian psychoanalysis would be nothing without the Forer effect. Same with horoscopes. But though, I like psychoanalysis. It may be placebo, but a lot of hypochondriacs are healed by placebos.
    Last edited by amarna; 07-27-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12