Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What unites all of humanity?

Blog Entries
    Thanks, but like all the answers posted, it only raises more questions.

ésprit de l’escalier DanielBenoit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    confusion
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    And leave it with a Discontent
    Too exquisite — to tell —
    -Emily Dickinson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVW8GCnr9-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGIvr6WVw4

person, sometimes.
    Humanity unites under Truth.
    There could be a very long discussion as to what Truth is, but then it would get complex and beyond people who have not studied it; and humanity can hardly unite through things they dont understand.
    But when Truth, whatever it may be, is neglected,
    like humanity often does,
    then our state of uniting begins to loosen apart.

Blog Entries
    ^That doesn't make any sense.

Everyone has their own ideas of truth and unite into small local sub-sections of humanity, until everyone belongs to some sub-section and create civil war between the collectives.

Just look at religion: All Christain are united under their truth, just as all Muslims and Jews are.

Besides, since when did truth determine anything in our lives? There are the Hamlet-types who ponder upon all of the puzzles of existence, but then their is the rest of the world who live perfectly normal lives without even giving any thought to their surroundings and circumstances (which is not a good thing mind you).

If I were to say what unites most, but not all of humanity, it's evasion.
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    -Emily Dickinson

person, sometimes.

Truth isnt dead.

I think "evasion" is part of neglecting truth. despite that there are different religions and each one of those religions has a different set of politics (which is completely seperate from any form of natural truth.) they all share similar morals that can be dated back to Aristotle, Plato and Socrates. but even despite all of that, when you get down to the very basics; if you break your arm, it hurts, if you have sex, its pleasurable. There is a set of natural Truths that nature exists within. What humanity has done by putting our opinions on a pedastal above nature has strayed us from uniting, but it has no effect on Truth. i think The Republic deals with this entire topic better than any of us can.
    But, if anyone is sitting in a room alone with a non-threatening stranger, we can all sense the awkward silence. We all may handle it differently and react in our own individual ways, but we can all sense it. I think that, in its own way, has a lot to do with what unites humanity. If that makes any sense. I think the romantics understand me...

Blog Entries
    I don't know if the question has been raised before, but is humanity actually united?...
    You forget that the kingdom of heaven suffers violence: and the kingdom of heaven is like a woman.
    James Joyce

It is a fatal miscarriage, so ill to order affairs, as to pass for a fool in one company, when in another you might be treated as a philosopher. Jonathan Swift

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Remarkable View Post
    I don't know if the question has been raised before, but is humanity actually united?...
    In a sense, we're united in negatives; in our confusion, in our absurdity in relation to the world, in our fragmentation.

We are united by our common isolation.
    The Moments of Dominion
    That happen on the Soul
    -Emily Dickinson

I do not know for sure whether mind is embodied or thought and perception are inseparably one or thought stems from perceptions.

These are philosophical debates in point of fact. It is really hard to subscribe these views, these hypothetical ideas spun by some thinkers.

What mind is and in what it lies is a classic debate.

As to the question what unites humanity, all I can say is by unlearning and ridding ourselves of our prejudices, and stripping us of our affectations, false prides.

Let us behave naturally the way we are opposing all kinds of faiths.
    Today faiths fight. not man. Keep man away from faiths he will be more cool and things get better.

Ban all religions and man becomes totally integrated, and control man's excessive greed for wealth there will be fewer cases of aggressions in society.

Let us be cool and modest and understanding. The world is already united and integrated but we are fragmenting it into pieces with our beliefs, faiths, ideologies, religions, socioeconomic gulfs and the like. Even up all these gulfs and gaps we become integrated.
    Last edited by blazeofglory; 09-25-2009 at 09:26 PM.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

One major problem that all modern societies face is the fact that, while theories of natural science propogate through society very fast because there is often money to be made from these theories, theories of the human sciences propogate very slowy because there is seldom any money to be made from them.

This means that new theories of the human sciences take generations to reach DickandJane. Thus ickandJane remain ignorant of what can be known for generations because we adults never become self-learners. We generally store our intellect in the attic with our year book when our school daze are over.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post

Just look at religion: All Christain are united under their truth, just as all Muslims and Jews are.

Besides, since when did truth determine anything in our lives?

If I were to say what unites most, but not all of humanity, it's evasion.
    brilliant thought, as usual

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBenoit View Post
    In a sense, we're united in negatives; in our confusion, in our absurdity in relation to the world, in our fragmentation.

We are united by our common isolation.

SGCS (Seond Generation Cognitive Science) informs me that objectivity is our shared subjectivity. That is to say that our individual experiences have great affect upon our thoughts, knowledge, and perceptions; these individual experiences make each of us a very unique creaure; however, like finger prints make each one distinctive they do have something very significant that is the same in all humans.

That which is the same in all individuals is how our cognition functions. We all process experience with the same processing system. It is this processing system that accentuates our commonness. It is this cognitive system that unites all humans.

Caddy smells like trees caddy_caddy's Avatar
    suffering and pain

Quote Originally Posted by caddy_caddy View Post
    suffering and pain
    It does, at least for a time, doesn't it Humans seem to have a very short attention span relating to others suffering and pain.
    And those who suffer, well they tend to adapt unless they occasionally have decreased pain or the promise of improved circumstances. What do you think?

In fact if we do not get hooked to religions, racism, nationalism, fanaticism we become somewhat united if not wholly,for today what sets us apart us is our sense of nationhood instead of brotherhood. We at birth are not divided along political, racial, national lines. But when we start aging things become clear to us and all our ideologies modify or condition us and we tend to behave as if we are by birth different in terms of society, culture, economy, education, the idea of highbrows and lowbrows, whiteness and blackness and the like.

These are externals, veneers we keep on layering ourselves and once we remove these layers we are already naturally united.

We are by birth or by nature united the way deer and other wild animals or ants are.

Man invented religions, religious, political and social laws and principles that distanced us and divided us from one another in point of fact.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Sparkly Mineral Water
    I think what unites humans, is that we are all connected to the earth, and that we should try to take care of it and each other.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast