Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Ladies, what don't you like to be called by men?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baby

19 46.34%
  • Chick

27 65.85%
  • Honey

17 41.46%
  • Lady

8 19.51%
  • Other?

15 36.59%
  • Hun

3 7.32%
  • Dear

2 4.88%
  • Babe

3 7.32%
  • Love

1 2.44%
  • Darling

2 4.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ladies, what don't you like to be called by men?

I don't know why it is so difficult for men to just avoid using all pet names (dear), terms of affection (honey), fruits (peach), mildly derogatory 'just joking' terms (broad), diminishing terms (dearie), distancing terms (the Missus). and others, when speaking to and referring to women other than their loved ones. And I would never use 'broad.' Not never!

I don't think any man should regard himself as that much of a god that women should swoon at his feet and automatically forgive him his language.

But then again I am just an old f**t by now.
    Last edited by Morden; 08-17-2009 at 05:47 AM.
    "I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita." -- Vladimir Nabokov

A coworker sometime refers to his wife as "My Bride", kinda cute, no? (they've been married 20+ years)
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    A coworker sometime refers to his wife as "My Bride", kinda cute, no? (they've been married 20+ years)
    I had a co-worker who referred to his wife as his first wife. He was only married that one time and though he had been married something like 20 years he felt it should always be a consideration. I never did meet his wife, so I don't know what she thought of it. Of course he said it with a twinkle in his eye.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Papaya, I've heard men use that term My Bride before and I thought it was rather sweet too. It's like they stay eternally young; well if they were married young, that is.

Virgil, I am not sure about that guy calling his only wife his first wife. That would spook me; I would think either I don't have long to live or else I am dombed in some other way. I don't particularly think it's too funny. But the guy is probably a kidder and he just is making a sort of joke. Hope his poor wife doesn't hear it.

I know this married couple, who always crack me up. She is Jewish and he is Christian, so his wife refers to him (very lovingly) as the Gentile. They both are nice people who love to be sweet with each other. I always got such a kick out of it, but that was personal to them, so no offense was ever intended.
    Last edited by Janine; 08-17-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus View Post
    I've been researching because I'm curious
    So Lapland is the Northern province, right? Laplandish would be a Finnish dialect? Are there many dialects there?

Finnish sounds as an interesting tongue. Professor Tolkien once said he had become "quite intoxicated with its sounds". I suppose that's why he picked it to be somewhat a basis for his Quenya.
    Is it true that Finnish stresses words always on the first syllable? Are there any exceptions?
    Yes, northern part of Finland is called Lapland, but Lapland extends to Sweden, Norway and Russia too. There's the northern dialect of Finnish, but there's also a whole different language called Sami. I'm not sure which one the word "eno" meaning "river" comes from, though.

There are several dialects of Finnish. They are divided into eastern and western dialects, or more spesifically into seven different groups. All the dialects are different, but not different enough to prevent Finns from understanding each other. Dialects are mostly spoken, and most of the written text is in "standard language" that is the same everywhere. Everyone knows the standard language, but no one really speaks it. As I've mentioned before, in Finnish written and spoken language are rather different.

Yes, the stress is always on the first syllable. The only exceptions would be some loanwords that come from other languages, but mostly even those are "Finnished" so that they fit the Finnish pronunciation
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It depends on what the circumstance is on whether or not I dislike being called something. If it is a relationship sweet kind of thing..I don't think I'd mind being called any of the options on the poll....now...if it is some guy just hitting on me.....well...that's different.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    I don't think any man should regard himself as that much of a god that women should swoon at his feet and automatically forgive him his language.
    Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    But then again I am just an old f**t by now.
    I'm sure you're not, but even if you were, your opinion is valuable as well
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    Very cute
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    I had a co-worker who referred to his wife as his first wife. He was only married that one time and though he had been married something like 20 years he felt it should always be a consideration. I never did meet his wife, so I don't know what she thought of it. Of course he said it with a twinkle in his eye.
    Often a wife keeps for herself whatever she thinks about her husband, for obvious reasons, unless they've reached some sort of agreement about certain jokes... when they are just jokes
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Papaya, I've heard men use that term My Bride before and I thought it was rather sweet too. It's like they stay eternally young; well if they were married young, that is.

Virgil, I am not sure about that guy calling his only wife his first wife. That would spook me; I would think either I don't have long to live or else I am dombed in some other way. I don't particularly think it's too funny. But the guy is probably a kidder and he just is making a sort of joke. Hope his poor wife doesn't hear it.

I know this married couple, who always crack me up. She is Jewish and he is Christian, so his wife refers to him (very lovingly) as the Gentile. They both are nice people who love to be sweet with each other. I always got such a kick out of it, but that was personal to them, so no offense was ever intended.
    I have heard some men referring to their wives as "my bride, my wife and my lover". Some of them surely mean it so as to apply it outside of a sheer comment, while others say it in a condescending way, so as to deceive their wives while they have their furtive adventures outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    It depends on what the circumstance is on whether or not I dislike being called something. If it is a relationship sweet kind of thing..I don't think I'd mind being called any of the options on the poll....now...if it is some guy just hitting on me.....well...that's different.
    Thanks for posting and taking the poll!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Yes he was a kidder. I never saw the wife so i don't know what her reaction was.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annamariah View Post
    Yes, northern part of Finland is called Lapland, but Lapland extends to Sweden, Norway and Russia too. There's the northern dialect of Finnish, but there's also a whole different language called Sami. I'm not sure which one the word "eno" meaning "river" comes from, though.

There are several dialects of Finnish. They are divided into eastern and western dialects, or more spesifically into seven different groups. All the dialects are different, but not different enough to prevent Finns from understanding each other. Dialects are mostly spoken, and most of the written text is in "standard language" that is the same everywhere. Everyone knows the standard language, but no one really speaks it. As I've mentioned before, in Finnish written and spoken language are rather different.
    Thanks for explaining. Now I know a lil more about linguistics

Yes, the stress is always on the first syllable. The only exceptions would be some loanwords that come from other languages, but mostly even those are "Finnished" so that they fit the Finnish pronunciation
    Hmm... so the Finns finish words with a "Finnished" finish

Hmm... so the Finns finish words with a "Finnished" finish
    Yup, and it's better to be Finnish than finished
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.

Blog Entries
    Good one!!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

Blog Entries
    I have a hunch that being finished must be painful , so I'd rather be "Finnished"

I have a hunch that being finished must be painful , so I'd rather be "Finnished"
    Your smiley could as well be Finnished than finished, we do have some cold winters here, you see

Blog Entries
    Your smiley could as well be Finnished than finished, we do have some cold winters here, you see
    Believe it or not I was talking to the smiley lately... and guess what it told me when I asked about its birthplace! ... up there in the north of the planet...

Blog Entries
    "Honey" makes me feel like a wife, which would be alright if I was a wife and my husband were the one calling me such, but in any other context it would seem awkward.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi