Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Ladies, what don't you like to be called by men?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Baby

19 46.34%
  • Chick

27 65.85%
  • Honey

17 41.46%
  • Lady

8 19.51%
  • Other?

15 36.59%
  • Hun

3 7.32%
  • Dear

2 4.88%
  • Babe

3 7.32%
  • Love

1 2.44%
  • Darling

2 4.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies, what don't you like to be called by men?

Blog Entries

Ladies, what don't you like to be called by men?

I'm conducting this little poll because I'm curious to find out if ladies really like to be regarded as chicks, babies, honeys, or whatever nickname men often pronounce when addressing someone of the opposite gender.

Personally, I prefer the word lady because it gives me an idea of independence from men. I dislike the word woman because I feel it has an implication that they depend on men, and I feel the same about the word female. And I also imagine there may be a chance that someone may not like the word lady.

And how about these phrases that sound so empty to me like "come on baby", "shake it baby", "hold on baby", "come here baby" and everything ending in baby. Isn't it a way to diminish the feminine condition and nature?

Most of you may think... they are just words and phrases that people already got used to... but in any case I still prefer to address my opposite gender as ladies. And I prefer to be more creative, or at least try to be, if I'm ever to conquer a lady's attention.

So... how about you? I would like your opinions, please.
    If you are a lady, what don't you like to be called by men?
    If you are a man, what words/phrases don't you like using to address a lady?

(Please take the poll too).
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Anyone who isn't my boyfriend, calls me by my name or else they get a kick where it really hurts....

kidding

"Baby" is cute, i don't know why a lot of girls don't like it. I think it's very affectionate.

As far as friends are concerned, i sometimes get "miss c" because my name is quite long and hard to pronounce.
    I also, sometimes, get called "lady" for some reason. "Hey lady" etc, i have no problem with it

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus View Post

Personally, I prefer the word lady because it gives me an idea of independence from men. I dislike the word woman because I feel it has an implication that they depend on men
    But we are women. Calling a woman "woman" if you are greeting her, isn't appropriate though and not too common

Blog Entries
    If you are called a miss and a lady, then you must be.

Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    But we are women.
    I know. It may be the connotation that twisted-minded societies have put behind the word... maybe it's just me. I may be wrong... I am often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilianus View Post
    I know. It may be the connotation that twisted-minded societies have put behind the word... maybe it's just me. I may be wrong... I am often...

" woman " is one of my favourite words, I think

'Darling', 'Dear', 'Sweetheart' - patronising wotsits! Those terms have been reserved for the Few, the very favoured Few. I've been known to reply through clenched teeth - 'I'm not your darling'...

And as for 'chick' - my mum used to call me that!

My husband once addressed a woman as 'madam' and was roundly told, 'Don't you madam me!'

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I picked nearly all of them. Depending on the context almost all 'pet' names for women can be derogatory and the only way to be safe is to call people by their given name. You missed 'sweetheart' and 'love' from the poll too, oh and 'bird'. Sweetheart really makes me want to puke, 'love' less so but perhaps because culturally in the area where I live 'love' is a common term used in a friendly and not demeaning way, so in my local area if someone said to me, "excuse me love... I wouldn't ever take that as offensive. Chick, in some areas is used in the same way so I guess again it rather depends on context. Bear in mind, in the same area the word 'c*ck' is used as an affectionate term for a man "..are you alright c*ck? or 'cocker', and I have known of situations where people using the term in its colloquial, friendly manner have been told by call centre staff that they'll hang up if they 'speak to them that way again', which is quite funny. Note, I can't actually write the whole word on this site without it getting ****'d out, which would make it very convoluted to talk about male chickens if I needed to

Lady I think is acceptable depending on the context. So if you were introducing people to each other you might say 'and this lady is xxx' and that would be okay. After introductions I would then expect people to use either other's names.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    I have a name and that's what I prefer to be called. My husband will often call me Wife, which I rather like. I'm at an age where I'm called 'ma'am.' I don't really like that, but I just keep getting older so I better get used to it. It is more polite 'hey lady.'

Blog Entries
    It's all in the delivery.

I've got an old Greek man at my market who greets me with 'lady' and it's very polite and nice.

My boyfriend often uses baby, honey, etc, and while they're a bit cliche, it's meant sweetly.

Chick I've often had directed to me quite nicely, especially when I was in the U.K, it seemed.
    Naked except for a cigarette, you let your mind drift and forget your disbelief. Feel the chill down your back and the flutter of wings through dandelion fields, and forget the pull of gravity in a night without stars.

I lack eloquence and commitment to my arguments. They are half baked, and I will begin passionately, and then abandon them.

It doesn't really matter what men call women, provided they are in a relationship and it is meant as a term of endearment. I used to call my German girlfriend Gift Zwerg which in English means poison dwarf but only because she was very small. Another one from China I sometimes referred to as Frogs Legs for the same reason. They were both sensible enough not to take it seriously. With regard to other women I have always called them by their first name.

I guess the terms "dame" and "lass" have finally bitten the dust? Bogart, You are out of luck!

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    I guess the terms "dame" and "lass" have finally bitten the dust? Bogart, You are out of luck!
    Bogart can call a woman whatever the hell he wants

For any sort of pet name, it really comes down to the context. Any of those names can come across as derogatory depending on who is saying it and in what way. Even still though, I'm more put off by someone I don't really know calling my be a short form of my real name than by one of those terms. Those pet names when said by someone else are just words, but the short form of my name implies familiarity and people only call me that when they know me well.

I have no problem with female or woman either. The prefixes fe- and wo- (which aren't prefixes at all) don't have any specific meaning, let alone one that implies dependency. I remember having a discussion in a class once about feminists who tried to have the spelling of "woman" changed to "womyn". Silly.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Quote Originally Posted by *Classic*Charm* View Post
    Bogart can call a woman whatever the hell he wants
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Lass is still pretty common where I live. Tends to be used like 'love' as a friendly/affectionate term.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Bean View Post
    It doesn't really matter what men call women, provided they are in a relationship and it is meant as a term of endearment. I used to call my German girlfriend Gift Zwerg which in English means poison dwarf but only because she was very small. Another one from China I sometimes referred to as Frogs Legs for the same reason. They were both sensible enough not to take it seriously. With regard to other women I have always called them by their first name.
    I tried calling my wife something silly like that once and I got struck with a baseball bat across the head. Of course it had to do with her weight.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    What about broad? I think that one's kind of funny.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast