Thread: Salvation Comes

Post Salvation Comes

Elizabeth had everything she was told she needed, clothes, food, a job that paid well, lots of friends, a beautiful home, and enough money to spend on whatever she could possibly want. Even though she had all that she could ever want she continued to be in despair. She could be at the most crowded party and feel completely alone. These feelings of sorrow and brokenness had continued to grow more and more strong as she continued to search for different ways of contentment. She had found nothing that seemed to ease the pain and loneliness.
    One day while walking home from work Elizabeth noticed a man sitting on the sidewalk. He looked like any other beggar, dirty and unkempt, but he reminded her of someone she had been told about, but she couldn’t think whom. As she approached him, he called out to her as he did all those passing him. He said, “I have what can make you happy. It is your to take I give it to you freely. Consider it a gift. All you have to do is take it.” Thinking that this man could not possibly have in his possession anything that she didn’t already posses herself, Elizabeth walked past him acting as though he didn’t exist.
    Elizabeth’s life continued to go into the depths of despair. Hoping that maybe she just needed sometime away from her everyday life she took a weekend off and went camping. She didn’t exactly enjoy camping, but she thought it might give her a chance to think through things and find a solution to her sorrow. She decided to camp out where she knew it would be easy to clear her head, because she had done so there many times before. It was a cliff overlooking the city, it was quiet there and not many people knew about it, so there was never anyone around.
    When Elizabeth arrived at the cliff she immediately sat down on a rock at the very edge and began to sort through her problems. She sat there for hours just thinking. As it began to get dark she started to get up to go make some dinner for herself. As she did so her feet fell from beneath her and she slipped off the edge. She hung there, just dangling, the only thing keeping her from falling to her death was the rock that she had previously been sitting on, her hands now clung to it for dear life. She yelled out for help, but knew there was no one around to hear her.
    Elizabeth hung onto the edge of the cliff for a while. She then heard someone's footsteps. She yelled out again for help. A man came to the edge of the cliff and peered down at her. It was the beggar from before. He stretched out his hand to her and said, “I have what can save you from this and your despair. All you have to put your trust in me and take my hand.” Knowing that is man was her only hope she reached out to him. He grabbed her and pulled her up. When she was safely on firm ground again the man said, “I have not only saved you from this chance of death, but I have given you an eternal life that you will spend with me.”
    When Elizabeth heard this she at once fell to his feet for she finally realized whom he was. He was the Son of God here to save her. She had been told of him before, but had never believe what she had been told. She couldn’t believe that before on the street she had acted like he was just a beggar. He bent down to her and brought her back to her feet and embraced her. At this moment Elizabeth felt no more despair and no more sorrow for she had found happiness and joy or rather he had found her.

Telling what you think.
    -Thanks

This is a cute fable illustrating Christ's forgiveness. But what has Elizabeth done to earn it? I think you want to say that Christ forgives the worthy and the unworthy alike. Nice allegory, unsatisfying as fiction. Elizabeth's reconciliation with Him feels unearned. I want her to exercise her free will and DO something in the story, not just fall off a cliff.

The whole point is that the reconciliation is unearned...we do not derserve Christ's forgiveness it is freely given to us by faith and trust in him. That is what I was trying to convey.

While the story is technically well constructed it doesn't draw the reader into the story.

I understand it is a short story but the man or the figure of Christ you use didn't make me feel the man was Christ. There is no mystery to Christ figure and there certainly not enough dispair or lack direction on her part.

Sure she probably doesn't deserve to be saved, but why did she get saved when innocent children die of starvation or can get killed by a drive by shooter? Why does God reach out to this woman when he didn't reach out to millions of others that might have been in similar or worse situations.

There has to be some kind of turmoil inside of her that reaches out to God that makes her be saved by God a little more interesting. Otherwise you are saying God is a cold calculating being who only saves those he chooses to save on a whim. Elizabeth just happened to win the lottery and it doesn't give me a picture of a loving God who is a father figure.

If you believe the passage that is written in the Bible

Mathew 19:24
    "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go into the kingdom of heaven.."
    (Also in Mark 10:25 and Luke 18:25)

What does that say? It says that you can only be saved if you are willing to listen. She didn't seem very willing to listen until she almost died and he saved her physically from death. Heck, I would probably give my life to whomever saved me too regardless of who the person was.

Overall the story is not very believable nor does it make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.