Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumbing Down American Readers

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar

Dumbing Down American Readers

At this point with regard to threads currently seeing activity here in the general literature section, I thought this little snippet from Harold Bloom in 2003 seemed appropriate.. so enjoy...

Dumbing down American readers
    By Harold Bloom, 9/24/2003

THE DECISION to give the National Book Foundation's annual award for "distinguished contribution" to Stephen King is extraordinary, another low in the shocking process of dumbing down our cultural life. I've described King in the past as a writer of penny dreadfuls, but perhaps even that is too kind. He shares nothing with Edgar Allan Poe. What he is is an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis. The publishing industry has stooped terribly low to bestow on King a lifetime award that has previously gone to the novelists Saul Bellow and Philip Roth and to playwright Arthur Miller. By awarding it to King they recognize nothing but the commercial value of his books, which sell in the millions but do little more for humanity than keep the publishing world afloat. If this is going to be the criterion in the future, then perhaps next year the committee should give its award for distinguished contribution to Danielle Steel, and surely the Nobel Prize for literature should go to J.K. Rowling.

ADVERTISEMENT

What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.

I began as a scholar of the romantic poets. In the 1950s and early 1960s, it was understood that the great English romantic poets were Percy Bysshe Shelley, William Wordsworth, Lord Byron, John Keats, William Blake, Samuel Taylor Coleridge. But today they are Felicia Hemans, Charlotte Smith, Mary Tighe, Laetitia Landon, and others who just can't write. A fourth-rate playwright like Aphra Behn is being taught instead of Shakespeare in many curriculums across the country.

Recently I spoke at the funeral of my old friend Thomas M. Green of Yale, perhaps the most distinguished scholar of Renaissance literature of his generation. I said, "I fear that something of great value has ended forever."

Today there are four living American novelists I know of who are still at work and who deserve our praise. Thomas Pynchon is still writing. My friend Philip Roth, who will now share this "distinguished contribution" award with Stephen King, is a great comedian and would no doubt find something funny to say about it. There's Cormac McCarthy, whose novel "Blood Meridian" is worthy of Herman Melville's "Moby-Dick," and Don DeLillo, whose "Underworld" is a great book.

Instead, this year's award goes to King. It's a terrible mistake.

Harold Bloom is a professor at Yale University and author of "The Western Canon." He wrote this column for the Los Angeles Times.
    http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi...rican_readers/

Blog Entries
    Dumbledore is gonna come find you...

and whack you on the head with a broomstick

Despite the fact he is ... dead

you know, you hit the nail on the head there. For that is just what I'm worried about right now

Blog Entries
    I wrote this in response to another post of yours in a different thread, but it seems appropriate to repost it here:

"The point i'm making is that they do serve different purposes, and whether someone likes the Harry Potter series or not, Rowling's ability to captivate people, to create this wonderful atmosphere in her work, and her ability to tell a story is undeniable. I think a lot of great writers fail where an author like her or King succeeds. "

Not a lot of great writers are great story tellers. I suppose the fact that she is a wonderful story teller is the answer to a lot of people's curiosity and questions in regards to why Harry Potter has been so successful.

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Maybe it's not that the public is being dumbed down. "Dumbing down" implies that someone/ some organization etc. is actively working to change what the public perceives and accepts to be good literature.

It seems to me that what is happening is maybe a change in values. Readers seem to put more value on books which offer more imagination than more insight. It's difficult to say how much the actual quality of the writing is being considered at all anymore.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Harry Potter and the Death of Reading

By Ron Charles
    Sunday, July 15, 2007; B01

It happened on a dark night, somewhere in the middle of Book IV. For three years, I had dutifully read the "Harry Potter" series to my daughter, my voice growing raspy with the effort, page after page. But lately, whole paragraphs of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" had started to slip by without my hearing a word. I'd snap back to attention and realize the action had moved from Harry's room to Hagrid's house, and I had no idea what was happening.

And that's when my daughter broke the spell: "Do we have to keep reading this?"

O, the shame of it: a 10-year-old girl and a book critic who had had enough of "Harry Potter." We were both a little sad, but also a little relieved. Although we'd had some good times at Hogwarts, deep down we weren't wild about Harry, and the freedom of finally confessing this secret to each other made us feel like co-conspirators.

Along with changing diapers and supervising geometry homework, reading "Harry Potter" was one of those chores of parenthood that I was happy to do -- and then happy to stop. But all around me, I see adults reading J.K. Rowling's books to themselves: perfectly intelligent, mature people, poring over "Harry Potter" with nary a child in sight. Waterstone's, a British book chain, predicts that the seventh and (supposedly) final volume, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," may be read by more adults than children. Rowling's U.K. publisher has even been releasing "adult editions." That has an alarmingly illicit sound to it, but don't worry. They're the same books dressed up with more sophisticated dust jackets -- Cap'n Crunch in a Gucci bag.

I'd like to think that this is a romantic return to youth, but it looks like a bad case of cultural infantilism. And when we're not horning in on our kids' favorite books, most of us aren't reading anything at all. More than half the adults in this country won't pick up a novel this year, according to the National Endowment for the Arts. Not one. And the rate of decline has almost tripled in the past decade.

That statistic startles me, even though I hear it again and again. Whenever I confess to people who work for a living that I'm a book critic, I inevitably get the same response: "Imagine being able to sit around all day just reading novels!" Then they turn to each other and shake their heads, amazed that anything so effete should pass for a profession. (I can see it in their eyes: the little tufted pillow, the box of bonbons nearby.) "I don't read fiction," they say, suddenly serious. "I have so little time nowadays that when I read, I like to learn something." But before I can suggest what one might learn from reading a good novel, they pop the question about The Boy Who Lived: "How do you like 'Harry Potter'?"

Of course, it's not really a question anymore, is it? In the current state of Potter mania, it's an invitation to recite the loyalty oath. And you'd better answer correctly. Start carrying on like Moaning Myrtle about the repetitive plots, the static characters, the pedestrian prose, the wit-free tone, the derivative themes, and you'll wish you had your invisibility cloak handy. Besides, from anyone who hasn't sold the 325 million copies that Rowling has, such complaints smack of Bertie Bott's beans, sour-grapes flavor.

Shouldn't we just enjoy the $4 billion party? Millions of adults and children are reading! We keep hearing that "Harry Potter" is the gateway drug that's luring a reluctant populace back into bookstores and libraries. Even teenage boys -- Wii-addicted, MySpace-enslaved boys! -- are reading again, and if that's not magic, what is?

Unfortunately, the evidence doesn't encourage much optimism. Data from the NEA point to a dramatic and accelerating decline in the number of young people reading fiction. Despite their enthusiasm for books in grade school, by high school, most kids are not reading for pleasure at all. My friends who teach English tell me that summaries and critical commentary are now so readily available on the Internet that more and more students are coming to class having read about the books they're studying without having read the books.

And when their parents do pick up a novel, it's often one that leaves a lot to be desired. True, Oprah Winfrey can turn serious works of fiction such as Jeffrey Eugenides's "Middlesex" or Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" into megasellers. But among the top 20 best-selling books on Amazon.com this week, only six are novels -- and that includes the upcoming seventh volume of He Who Must Not Be Outsold, James Patterson's "The Quickie," the 13th volume of Janet Evanovich's comic mystery series and a vampire love saga.

How could the ever-expanding popularity of Harry Potter take place during such an unprecedented decline in the number of Americans reading fiction?

Perhaps submerging the world in an orgy of marketing hysteria doesn't encourage the kind of contemplation, independence and solitude that real engagement with books demands -- and rewards. Consider that, with the release of each new volume, Rowling's readers have been driven not only into greater fits of enthusiasm but into more precise synchronization with one another. Through a marvel of modern publishing, advertising and distribution, millions of people will receive or buy "The Deathly Hallows" on a single day. There's something thrilling about that sort of unity, except that it has almost nothing to do with the unique pleasures of reading a novel: that increasingly rare opportunity to step out of sync with the world, to experience something intimate and private, the sense that you and an author are conspiring for a few hours to experience a place by yourselves -- without a movie version or a set of action figures. Through no fault of Rowling's, Potter mania nonetheless trains children and adults to expect the roar of the coliseum, a mass-media experience that no other novel can possibly provide.

The schools often don't help, either. As I look back on my dozen years of teaching English, I wish I'd spent less time dragging my students through the classics and more time showing them how to strike out on their own and track down new books they might enjoy. Without some sense of where to look and how to look, is it any wonder that most people who want to read fiction glom onto a few bestsellers that everybody's talking about?

In "The Long Tail," Wired editor Chris Anderson suggested that new methods of distribution would shatter the grip of blockbusters. Niche markets would evolve and thrive as never before, creating a long, vital line of products from small producers who never could have profited in the past. It's a cheering notion, but alas, the big head still pretty much overrules the long tail. Like the basilisk that terrorized students at Hogwarts in Book II, "Harry Potter" and a few other much-hyped books devour everyone's attention, leaving most readers paralyzed in praise, apparently incapable of reading much else.

According to a study by Alan Sorensen at Stanford University, "In 1994, over 70 percent of total fiction sales were accounted for by a mere five authors." There's not much reason to think that things have changed. As Albert Greco of the Institute for Publishing Research puts it: "People who read fiction want to read hits written by known authors who are there year after year."

So we're experiencing the literary equivalent of a loss of biodiversity. All those people carrying around an 800-page novel looks like a great thing for American literacy, but it's as ominous as a Forbidden Forest with only one species of tree. Since Harry Potter first Apparated into our lives a decade ago, the number of stand-alone book sections in major metropolitan newspapers has decreased by half -- silencing critical voices that once helped a wide variety of authors around the country get noticed.

The vast majority of adults who tell me they love "Harry Potter" never move on to Susanna Clarke's enchanting "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell," with its haunting exploration of history and sexual longing, or Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials," a dazzling fantasy series that explores philosophical themes (including a scathing assault on organized religion) that make Rowling's little world of good vs. evil look, well, childish. And what about the dozens of other brilliant fantasy authors who could take them places that little Harry never dreamed of? Or the wider world of Muggle literary fiction beyond?

According to Amazon, the best-selling book of 2006 was "Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems," by Cesar Millan. My favorite was "The Law of Dreams," a first novel by a 56-year-old writer named Peter Behrens. It's the story of an orphaned boy who doesn't know why he survived the evil force that killed his parents -- and left him scarred. Set during the Irish potato famine of 1847, it's not a fantasy, and it's not for children, but there are plenty of monsters here, and Behrens writes in a style that's pure magic. As of this writing, it has sold 8,367 copies in the United States. It's enough to make a book critic snap his broom in two.

[email protected]

Ron Charles is a senior editor of The Post's Book World section.
    from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...301730_pf.html

but how exactly does Harry Potter offer more imagination than Carrol's "Through the Looking Glass" or "Alice in Wonderland"?? or then Ursula Le Guin's fantasy? or "Wind in the Willows"?? or Kipling's works? for it most definitely does not... the imagination in fact is not all that stimulated in my opinion by Harry Potter compared other much more insightful works which likewise stimulate the imagination, just maybe not in such a fantastic way...

Blog Entries
    Climber, as this applies to college level curriculum, which is what I think Bloom is criticizing, I would whole heartedly agree. Three factors have in my opinion, as well as Bloom in several other places he's written, caused the "dumbing down." First what this article pertains to, and that is the merging of popular literature with serious literature as equals. Blame that on New Historicism that considers all texts of equal value. Second, also the multi cultural obssesion that western culture is no better than other cultures. That may be true, but other cultures I'm afraid have not produced great literature to the same extent. Sorry. As a corrollary to that, the obssesion that we find minority and feminine literature and equate them to the great cannon of western literature. There may be ligitamate grevances as to why minorities and women were not given the opportunity to create great works, but that doesn't mean we have to we must force ourselves to accept lower works as equal. Give women and minorities the opportuniy from here on and I'm sure they will rise to the occaision. Third and not covered in that article is the obssesion to deconstruct and under mine western values, movememnts, and ideas. It's underlying assumption is that western culture was evil from its inception and has done nothing else but prove it. It's actually self hating, if ask me.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandclimber View Post
    from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...301730_pf.html

but how exactly does Harry Potter offer more imagination than Carrol's "Through the Looking Glass" or "Alice in Wonderland"?? or then Ursula Le Guin's fantasy? or "Wind in the Willows"?? or Kipling's works? for it most definitely does not... the imagination in fact is not all that stimulated in my opinion by Harry Potter compared other much more insightful works which likewise stimulate the imagination, just maybe not in such a fantastic way...
    I'm talking about modern fiction and the fact that authors like Steven King and J.K. Rowling are getting more attention and recognition than better authors, whereas in the past, as your article mentions, better authors were the ones receiving the prizes. I'm saying that what is valued in current fiction is different than what used to be.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Quote Originally Posted by *Classic*Charm* View Post
    I'm talking about modern fiction and the fact that authors like Steven King and J.K. Rowling are getting more attention and recognition than better authors, whereas in the past, as your article mentions, better authors were the ones receiving the prizes. I'm saying that what is valued in current fiction is different than what used to be.
    but what I'm getting at is this is misplaced, the imagination in Harry Potter and Stephen King, and Meyer, and that sort is of the fantastic sort, but it certainly does not even come close to stimulating the imagination in the way that more subtle contemporary works do.. read Borges, or Cortazar, or Marquez's short stories, or Saramago.. all fairly contemporary writers... there are many more as well... the imagination is stimulated far more... what readers want is escape from thinking, they want simple, they want easy... they want dumbed down literature... the cultural Infantilism of the second article there...

Virgil I agree with you for the most part there, although I think it is dangerous to overlook the still vast contribution of literature from outside the "Western Canon"... Of course the West quite likely has produced far more great literature, but that is not to say that vast quantities of great literature don't exist outside the west... although I do think that is a tendency to place far too much emphasis on dethroning the supremacy of the west in literature recently, regardless of what it is being replaced with...

in regards to women and minorities, I don't know quite so much about this, so I won't comment there.. although I do think the feminist movement along with doing some good things has done some damage as well, in literature as well... An example would be the 2007 awarding of the Nobel Prize in literature to Doris Lessing, a far from great writer...

but the main problem I think and you mentioned it, is the merging of popular literature with serious literature.. and you find this in every art form to some extent as of late...

This celestial seascape! Lynne50's Avatar
    I think that part of the problem today is due to the fact of our "fast paced society". People want to grab a book from the library shelf quickly, read it quickly and move on to another without even giving the stories much thought.
    They are more interested in reading an author's entire collection, even if they aren't actually thrilled with some of them, then to read them critically.

In our library, we have 'New Fiction' that is on display as soon as you walk into the library. We have many patrons who only go to that one section and never go back into the stacks for older selections. It seems the only people who venture there are students who are made to read the "classics" for school. It's ashame. We try at times, to recycle our books and bring older titles to the front if we have a certain theme going on, but for the most part the front shelf is the most actively used.

One of my pet peeves, and I would love someone to explain it to me, is why on a weekly basis does the New York Review of Books only review a handful of fiction, but twice as many non-fiction. I can't figure that one out.

Now let me say something that makes me nostalgic. When I was growing up, I would see on many late night shows, authors, actually discussing their books and the currents topics of the day. I remember a round table discussion led by Irv Kupicnet that was very interesting. I wasn't very old, probably didn't understand half of what was said, but it sure was entertaining. Norman Mailer, Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley, who hated each other, were regulars. Maybe that's part of the problem. We no longer get to see and hear what the actual "person" is like. Where do their views come from? Maybe we need some more personal contact with them. Even some prime time talk shows had authors on, like Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas and Dick Cavett instead of every lame movie star that have nothing really to say except to plug their own movies. Those talk shows that I mentioned actually let the authors talk and there was real dialogue taking place.

Oh, the good ole days.
    "What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare." W.H. Davies

Good points Lynne... although I think even the New Fiction section in many libraries is fairly threadbare of quality contemporary literature, partly due to the fact people don't want to read it...

I can't explain the New York Review thing, maybe someone like JBI or StLukes could provide insight into that, but I would assume it must have something to do with reader demand, as more and more people are only reading non-fiction works now...

You know there is a late night show in Canada here on CBC, called The Hour and though I don't particularly like the host, he does get some interesting authors on there... though it is not a round table discussion of course...

Well, as for this article, keyword America - I'm Canadian - Canadian institutions function differently, and Can-Lit functions differently - most of Blooms' criticism doesn't really apply to me, and that which does has gotten old - the whole dumbing down bit is, as I have said, an American phenomenon, and not a Canadian one - we have our fair share and whatnot, especially in certain parts, but on the whole, I think the academic climates are very different - I can't, for instance, see Harry Potter or Steven King as Dumbing down Quebec, for instance, but perhaps they could damage the New York scene, who knows - I wouldn't worry too much, at any rate - it's not as if Bloom hasn't helped by dumbing down criticism.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    While I don't think Stephen King probably deserves any big rewards for his work, I think Bloom is being a bit overly harsh. He sounds almost bitter. King isn't that bad.

"I began as a scholar of the romantic poets. In the 1950s and early 1960s, it was understood that the great English romantic poets were Percy Bysshe Shelley, William Wordsworth, Lord Byron, John Keats, William Blake, Samuel Taylor Coleridge. But today they are Felicia Hemans, Charlotte Smith, Mary Tighe, Laetitia Landon, and others who just can't write. A fourth-rate playwright like Aphra Behn is being taught instead of Shakespeare in many curriculums across the country."

I don't know what schools/colleges these two guys are talking about (this excerpt from Bloom's article) but this has not been my experience. In my literature classes, I have studied extensively Percy Bysshe Shelley, William Wordsworth, Lord Byron, John Keats, William Blake, Samuel Taylor Coleridge. I admit my school (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville) has an excellent English program, I don't think the academic community is in the gloom and doom situation these guys portray.

As for HP, I tried reading the first book and didn't finish. It is down right horrible. And I was at one time a proponent of the HP franchise, even if it wasn't something I liked, because I thought that it would get kids reading more, lead them to better things. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. I know many people who read the HP books fervently and then never went on in their reading. Pretty sad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Well, as for this article, keyword America - I'm Canadian - Canadian institutions function differently, and Can-Lit functions differently - most of Blooms' criticism doesn't really apply to me, and that which does has gotten old - the whole dumbing down bit is, as I have said, an American phenomenon, and not a Canadian one - we have our fair share and whatnot, especially in certain parts, but on the whole, I think the academic climates are very different - I can't, for instance, see Harry Potter or Steven King as Dumbing down Quebec, for instance, but perhaps they could damage the New York scene, who knows - I wouldn't worry too much, at any rate - it's not as if Bloom hasn't helped by dumbing down criticism.
    Eh, literary criticism has always been an esoteric field. Most scholars are fifth-tier nobodies who write in their little hermetic bubbles in which the only people who read their obscure article about the symbolism of food in Jane Austen are the ten other fifth-tier scholars interested in the same topic. In other words, scholars generally write for other scholars, and often write for a small group of scholars with similar intellectual interests. I don't see Bloom dumbing down criticism so much as catering to a larger mainstream audience. In fact, I think it would be a good idea if more scholars tried to reach out to the public, not less, considering many of these topics have revolved around getting the average reader to be excited about literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandi View Post
    While I don't think Stephen King probably deserves any big rewards for his work, I think Bloom is being a bit overly harsh. He sounds almost bitter. King isn't that bad.
    Yeah, that was exactly my thought when I read it many years ago when he first published the article and my thought now reading it again. Look at these lines:

"I've described King in the past as a writer of penny dreadfuls, but perhaps even that is too kind. He shares nothing with Edgar Allan Poe. What he is is an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis. The publishing industry has stooped terribly low to bestow on King a lifetime award that has previously gone to the novelists Saul Bellow and Philip Roth and to playwright Arthur Miller. "

Basically reads: I once thought Stephen King was good at writing penny dreadfuls, but since he was won an award that I don't think he should have won and I am Harold Bloom, I am now reevaluating what I originally said about his fiction because I feel like throwing a temper tantrum like a three year old. Yes, I know I said I loved daddy yesterday when he gave me cake, but now I don't love daddy because he didn't do what I wanted and take me to the video game store! So there!

So if authors win awards you don't think they deserve that is grounds to reevaluate what you originally said about them? It's hard to take seriously a critic who would do that.
    "You understand well enough what slavery is, but freedom you have never experienced, so you do not know if it tastes sweet or bitter. If you ever did come to experience it, you would advise us to fight for it not with spears only, but with axes too." - Herodotus

https://consolationofreading.wordpress.com/ - my book blog!
    Feed the Hungry!

Blog Entries
    Oh god, more literature elitist nonsense. Reading is supposed to be fun. It is a source of entertainment, and as long as people are reading what they want then what's the problem? The world is full of many kinds of people, among whom standards, values and intellectual capabilities differ. I've noticed that people on this forum are very critical, and that’s a bit of a problem for me. I love books, wholly and with everything that I have, and just because I have the brain to appreciate Russell Hoban I'm not going to rip on someone because they're into Nora Roberts because its what THEY love. That's a cheap shot, in my opinion.

Don't say that your worried that good books are evaporating and that classics aren't getting the exposure that they deserve, because that's just not true. If it were, then this forum wouldn't exist. English wouldn't be a requirement for almost every university faculty. Those who are LUCKY enough to have a good brain and a strong interest in literature will never go away. Also, what you might call "trashy" books have been around for a looooong time. People enjoy them. That's what reading is about, finding personal value in a book and having fun.

I don't think that I want to talk about this anymore because when it comes to books I really don't like to dwell on the negative (unfortunately, it seems like many people here only have negative opinions). I just felt that I had to get that off of my chest after reading dozens of snobby, negative posts on almost every book and writer imaginable (apparently Catcher in the Rye was crap, and I think that someone here actually called Shakespeare talentless and overrated). Most people here are really cool though, and I usually love reading what they have to say. This is a good place, all in all. There's just a dash too much of stuck-up for my taste.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast