Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strong female characters

Blog Entries
    My Antonia - Willa Cather
    No damn cat, no damn cradle - Newt Honniker

Bathsheba Everdene from Far from the Madding Crowd is depicted as a proud and strong nerved woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Desolation View Post
    Catherine in A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway
    Caddy in The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner
    Catherine I agree with.
    For Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury I would add Dilsey, or even Quentin, as well as her mother, Caddy.

For grievous war these arms don't ask,
    No armor, save this joyous flask

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kristin Lavransdatter from...Kristin Lavransdatter. By Sigrid Undset. Excellent book.

Also, can't remember the names of either of the characters but both main lady characters in Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner and Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively.
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Lily Briscoe from Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse.

There can't be none stronger than Jean Paget from A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

I chime in with Sherine Khalil, from Paulo Cohelo's "The witch of Portobello". A strong and decided girl. really love her. He always depicts awesome female characters in his novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowqueen View Post
    Bathsheba Everdene from Far from the Madding Crowd is depicted as a proud and strong nerved woman.
    Totally agree with this!

I just wanted to reiterate what others have suggested...

"Their Eyes Were Watching God" - read that several times, loved it!

"Tess of the D'urbervilles"- though it's been a while since I read it.

"Romeo and Juliet" - She is a strong female for her day. She doesn't "fall in line" with her family. It doesn't matter to her that Romeo is the son of her family's enemy. She loves him anyway.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Seasider
    Am I going blind? I haven't seen Jane Eyres's name mentioned.

And what about the wonderful Miss Betsey Trotwood, David Copperfield's great aunt? He owes so much to her and she is generous to all she knew, even in the the case of Mr Wickfield, those who had cheated her. 4 Cheers for Betsey!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
    Am I going blind? I haven't seen Jane Eyres's name mentioned.
    I totally agree with you about Jane Eyre. But the originator of the topic mentioned enjoying many Bronte books already. I assumed they'd already read it.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

It's hard to better the enigmatic Catherine I (nee Earnshaw) from Bronte's Wuthering Heights.

For inner strength, I'd choose the ever-so-subtle Maggie (nee Verver) from The Golden Bowl of Henry James.
    "Love does not alter the beloved, it alters itself"

Blog Entries
    Philomila and Procne

Rape my sister, will you?
    Last edited by JuniperWoolf; 07-25-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    "Personal note: When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun. So once when I was six, I did. At first the brightness was overwhelming, but I had seen that before. I kept looking, forcing myself not to blink, and then the brightness began to dissolve. My pupils shrunk to pinholes and everything came into focus and for a moment I understood. The doctors didn't know if my eyes would ever heal."
    -Pi

archivist extraordinaire AlysonofBathe's Avatar
    I'm a little late to the party, but I think there's a pretty good list here already. Definitely agree with much of Woolf's canon, as well as Austen's and the Bronte's.

Don't know whether it's been mentioned, but also L.M. Montgomery's Anne series, especially the first. Moreover, her Emily series as well, often overshadowed by that loud redhead.

Cheers,
    Alyson
    Alyson of Bathe's feeble attempt at completing the 1001 books challenge. You would think a former English major would have a better start than this. For the Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by AlysonofBathe View Post
    Don't know whether it's been mentioned, but also L.M. Montgomery's Anne series, especially the first. Moreover, her Emily series as well, often overshadowed by that loud redhead.
    Oooh, yeah, I'd forgotten about "that loud redhead" Great suggestion I'm not familiar with her Emily series. I'll have to read them someday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast