Thread: Dover Thrift Editions in Paperback

Dover Thrift Editions in Paperback

Are these any good? These are extremly cheap and I'm about to order A TON of books from this series. It's gonna save me a lot of cash in the future. What do you guys think?
    No man should die without first reading the world's greatest literature.

It depends on what you mean by "good." I think they're the actual unabridged version, but they have no footnotes whatsoever that might help you in understanding the text.
    You're just another bastard.

I have some of this series and I like them. The text is the original version and the layout is easy readable. Okay, there are no notes, but I never read books with notes. All my classics are in cheap editions without notes.

dover thrift editions

these are so cheap, im skeptically that somethings wrong with them like the cheap penguin books.

anybody got any experience with them

Blog Entries
    I have had a hit/miss relation with them.

I have their version of Cyrano de Bergerac, which is fantastic - layout, cover, print, unabridged, well translated.

I have "The Trial and Death of Socrates" - same story

I have the Iliad and Odyssey which are just awful - terrible print and terrible translation. Is that the fault of Dover, probably not, probably the translator.

They're not my favourite edition, but they are not bad either.
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Wow, and it seems like a lot of them are eligible for the 4 for three promotion, so if you buy a bunch at the same time, every 4th one is free. I might have to go through the selection and see if there are any I need.

Artist and Bibliophile stlukesguild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dover Books is a fabulous publisher. Their "thrift editions" can't be beat for cost and are as well bound as almost any discount paperback. You cannot beat them when purchasing a work that doesn't need translation: Shakespeare's plays, Austen's novels, Conrad, Melville, Dickinson, etc... Dover maintains the low price in these thrift editions by publishing books that are no longer under copy-write... thus the original or the translation must pre-date 1923. You can't beat these books for a solid intro into the great English-language poets: Dickinson, Emerson, Whitman, Yeats, Keats, Shelley, Blake, Byron, Coleridge, Marvell, Donne, Shakespeare, Milton, Dryden, Houseman, Edgar Lee Masters... even T.S. Eliot. I must admit that they provided my introductions to many of these poets, and in spite of having purchased more complete anthologies... often hardbound... since then, I still have numerous Dover poetry volumes on my shelves.

Dover also has a marvelous collection of English-language fiction writers: Melville, Austen, Kate Chopin, Henry James, Hawthorne, R.L. Stevenson, Charles Dickens, H.G. Wells, etc... I would especially promote Dover books for their selections from mid/late 19th century (Victorian) literature (Kipling, Wells, Bierce, Walpole, Rossetti, William Morris, etc...) as well their selections of older classic ghost/horror tales: Poe, Hawthorne, Ambrose Bierce, J.S. LeFanu, Arthur Conan Doyle, G.K. Chesterton, Algernon Blackwood, etc... To this I would certainly recommend any number of their art books... posters, etc... I first came across Dover books at a small book store that carried many of their publications, but I soon discovered that the best way to check them out is to receive their catalog... which I have found to be much easier to utilize than the web page, although you can certainly check them out here:
    http://store.doverpublications.com/index.html
    Last edited by stlukesguild; 07-20-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    Beware of the man with just one book. -Ovid
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.- Mark Twain
    My Blog: Of Delicious Recoil
    http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/

Cool! I bought 12 books on amazon for $22 shipped after the 4 for 3 discount. Very nice.