Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Bed Quotes

Lytton Stachley (don't know if correct spelling)
    Not quite his last words but nearly-
    "if this is dying, I don't think much of it"

King george the something (4th I think) on being told by his doctor that he will be able to go to the seaside at Bognor Regis when he feels better.
    "Bugger Bogner"
    Last edited by denmans; 10-31-2005 at 04:28 AM.

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    King george the something (4th I think) on being told by his doctor that he will be able to go to the seaside at Bognor Regis when he feels better.
    "Bugger Bogner">

It was George V, and it was a response to the request made on his death-bed, to give Bognor the royal title of Bognor Regis. Despite the King's proclamation, Bognor was still granted the request.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is not really a death bed quote, but I think this is an interesting words said to someone before she died. it is in this movie, a woman hanging in the edge of a cliff, with a man holding on to her; if the woman let go then they both will die. The man is obsessed with the woman, and she hate him. Then after a while the woman said, "my life is not more worthy than your death". Then she let go.

I read this one once. It's by Erskine Childers before he was executed by firing sqaud on the 24th of November 1922. You see, he was a author and Irish patriot. It goes like this "Take a step forward, lads. It will be easier that way." That is my personal favorite. I my self would say something like "Who imagened that I would die by god's hands!"

avatar by John Pickman Wendigo_49's Avatar
    It is reported that Hegel on his deathbed being disappointed by incomprehension of his writings said the following:"Only one man ever understood me." He fell silent for a while and then added, "And he didn't understand me"

My favorite isn't really a deathbed quote but from Rabelais' Last Will and Testament. It goes "I have nothing. Owe much. The rest I leave to the poor"
    If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.

Hermann Hesse
    Demian

For those American history buffs out there, both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on July 4, 1826 (That's exactly 50 years after the Declaration of Independence). Their last words were reportedly:

Adams: "Thomas Jefferson still lives."

Jefferson: "Is it the Fourth?"

Quote Originally Posted by starrwriter
    This is on a gravestone in a cemetary in Key West, Florida, but it would have made a good deathbed quote: "I told you I was sick."
    That is actually the epitaph of comedian Spike Milligan. However, in order for the local church authorities to allow it, it had to be translated into Irish Gaelic, "Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite", so as not to give offence to mourners.

You couldn't make it up!!

Gertrude Stein's last words: "What is the answer?...
    [Silence]
    ...In that case, what is the question?"

And this one is almost too good to be true, but I've read it in every single "famous last words" collection. General Sedgewick during the Battle Of Spotsylvania, 1864 (American civil war):
    "Don't worry, boys. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
    But the time ain't tall, yet on time you depend
    And no word is possessed by no special friend
    And though the line is cut it ain't quite the end,
    I'll just bid farewell till we meet again.
    - Bob Dylan

that's terrible(ly funny)
    "either that wallpaper goes or I do" Oscar Wilde as he laying dying in a hotel room in Paris.
    But my alltime favorite is what Saint Thomas Moore said as he was being led up the steps to be beheaded under that ingrate Henry V111."If you would just help me up the steps I will make my own way down as best I can"

Did they pre-plan?

It's so peculiar to think that while their bodies were expiring rapidly, the minds of so many had something witty to say.
    "What is it all but a trouble of ants
    In the gleam of a million million of suns?"

mine would be: "I'll be back" :P

So it goes.

And this one is almost too good to be true, but I've read it in every single "famous last words" collection. General Sedgewick during the Battle Of Spotsylvania, 1864 (American civil war):
    "Don't worry, boys. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
    You're joking!?! Thats hilarious! Haha, I really had a laugh at that! Did some googling on General Sedgewick and every source seems to say the same. So it must be true, and in that case, thats one of lifes greater ironies!

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    The short story writer, H H Munro, commonly known as Saki, was killed by a sniper on the Somme, I think it was. His last words were apparently "turn that bloody light out".
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Duck, Duck, Duck, GOOSE WaxDoll's Avatar
    I remember reading somewhere that the last words of Pancho Villa were "Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
    "Few things are harder to put up with than a good example."
    - Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast