Thread: My tale of two cities monologue - comments please!

My tale of two cities monologue - comments please!

Here are my monologues that i had to do for school. I don't think you'll understand them unless you've read the book. I would really love it if you could post on what you liked and what i should fix, seeing as i have to present one in school tomorrow ( I am probably doing Lucie's, but i don't feel hers deep enough) So your comments and suggestions are very welcome!
    Oh and also i haven't fixed grammar, spelling and all that good stuff!
    *Edited version down in comments

|Sidney Carton|
    This seamstress reminds me so much of you, Lucie, so innocent. Even if you can not hear these words Lucie, they are nevertheless for you.
    From the moment I first laid eyes on you I knew that I had felt something that I had never felt before. I knew that you were not just another white and pink lady, you are so much more. I had always considered myself irredeemable and incapable of greatness; that is until I met you. I have pledged to give my life for your happiness and that is exactly what I am doing. I hope that you understand that, that night when I told you that I loved you, I met every word of it. I would stand each night outside your house, just to get a glimpse of you, just one. I always knew that I was never enough for you, but just being able to dream about you helped. When I saw how much you and Darnay where in love, I became highly jealous of him, I wasn’t use to not getting what I wanted. But I did something I wasn’t use to doing, I was so much in love with you that all I wanted was for you to be happy, and if that met leaving you at peace to be with the love of your life than so be it, no matter how hard it is. I black mailed Barsad, for a favor that I did not know if I was ever going to have to take him up on, but I when heard of the outcome of Darnay’s trail, I knew that I had to take him up on it. I black mailed him into helping me switch places with Darnay. When you bagged me to help him somehow, my heart ached so much for you that it gave me just the courage that I needed to go through with this.
    I know that you could never really truly live without Darnay, but you shall mourn only a sort while for me and move on from this, and you will live your life to it’s fullest!
    This seamstress is so young and really is a wonderful person, although I know I will never feel the same for anyone as I do about you, she is the closes anyone has ever gotten. Her courage and bravery is helping me. She asked me if I was dyeing for Darnay, I said and another, for you Lucie.
    My death may not be great and be known to all, but I hope it will help set a better place in the world your children. I can see France rising up in glory again, after this. Not long ago if I had died no one would have wept for me, for Sidney Carton, but now I know someone shall weep. So my dearest Lucie I recognizes that this sacrifice is the most worth while act of my life, and so I walk up to the guillotine confident and serene, for you even if you don’t know it yet…..

|Madame Defarge|
    I have some business to do before I go to the Guillotine today, but don’t worry my Vengeance I will be there for the twenty-third head - Evremonde!
    What I am about to tell you, is not for the weak ears of my husband, he is a good Republic, but he has his faults and he is likely to concede to a certain Doctor. But I have more of a reason to do this than I think he shall ever know!

If anyone has any right to be upset about the abuses that are mounded upon the commoners, it is I! My whole family was killed by the Marquis St. Evremonde! Evremonde! I have had this family at the top of my list for extermination for a very long time. My sister was abused, my father died of grief, and my brother was killed while trying to avenge my sister’s honour! I have waited long enough for this! Since I was but fifteen years of age! For a very long time I have been knitting a pattern that is a record of all the people whom the revolution will obliterate. Justice for my family will only be served when the whole family of the Marquis has fallen under the murderously sharp blade of the Guillotine! I have no pity for them, not even the youngest child! Now that Charles Evremonde is to die, the last ones to kill are his darling wife Lucie and their child! Because my husband will not let them die at the Guillotine on simply the charge of being related through name, and that she was found innocent of exchanging traitorous signals with the prisoner Evremonde, I have to now take matters into my own hands. She will be at home at the present waiting for the hour of his death, mourning, and brokenhearted. As you know, my Vengeance, it is against the law to mourn for an aristocrat. She will be in such a way to speak in opposition to the righteousness of the republic, and I shall be there to hear every word of it. I am sure she will say something that will damn her whole family to death! Then my husband cannot say no!
    Now take my knitting, I must go, save my usual place for me.……………..No, I shall not be late; I shall be there when the twenty- third head falls!

|Lucie Manette|

Sydney, my darling little Sydney. You look so much like your father, you have his eyes. You know who your father bears a resemblance to? A great man, the man you were named after. Your name is a strong name, and deserves to live on. Sidney Carton, a man that we owe our lives to. I weep every year at the anniversary of his death. He was man that kept his word, he promised to die for anyone I might love. For a long while I always believed it was just Charles he referred to, but now I understand he meant everyone, even my children, even you.
    I remember long ago when I was just eighteen years of age; I was going to meet your grandfather for the first time. When I first met him, I must say, I was frightened, and scared to embrace him, but I also felt so sorry for him, and when he first spoke to me, it was the spark that lit the flame and I love him greatly. I recall when I first met your father, since then on I have never had eyes for another being, except my children. I knew that we were destined for each other.
    When Sydney told me how he felt towards me, your father and I were already planning on marriage. Carton said that he knew I could never love a man like him, it was sad because we both knew it, although the words went unspoken. I felt badly for Carton, because I did care for him as a dear friend. He was always the first one to up and help me. When your father was condemned to death, I begged him to somehow help me, I did not know that he had that idea in helping me, or else I would have stopped him. When I got in the carriage to the boat to England and it was not Carton but your father in his place, well first off I was overwhelmed to be able to hold him again. But then it struck me that Carton had taken his place, I was heart broken, and didn’t understand why. He gave up everything, everyone to die for Charles. It was not right that Charles should die, but neither was it for Carton. He was a wonderful man, a devoted friend. But I will not let his name die; I will not let him be forgotten. I wish he could see France rise up again, and help France get there. I wish I could have said goodbye. He was a true hero.
    You owe your life to him, my little Sidney, we all do and I hope through you he can somehow live again. I wish you were my dearest Sidney Carton……
    Last edited by K.M Roberston; 06-06-2009 at 07:01 PM.

|Sydney Carton|

This seamstress reminds me so much of you, Lucie, so innocent. Even if you can not hear these words, Lucie, they are nevertheless for you.
    From the moment I first laid eyes on you I knew that I felt something that I had never felt before. I knew that you were not just another white and pink lady, you were so much more. I had always considered myself irredeemable and incapable of greatness; that is until I met you. I pledged to give my life for your happiness and that is exactly what I am doing now. I hope you understood that, that night when I told you I loved you, I meant every word of it. I would stand each night outside your house, just to get a glimpse of you, just one. I always knew that I was never enough for you, but just being able to dream about you helped. When I saw how much you and Darnay were in love, I became jealous of him - I wasn’t used to not getting what I wanted. But then I did something I wasn’t used to doing. I was so much in love with you that all I wanted was for you to be happy, and if that meant leaving you at peace to be with the love of your life then it must be so, no matter how hard it was. I blackmailed Barsad into agreeing to do me a favor if I called upon him and when I heard of the outcome of Darnay’s trail, I knew that I had to call upon him to keep his promise. He helped me switch places with Darnay. When you begged me to help Darnay somehow, my heart ached so much for you that it gave me just the courage that I needed to go through with this.
    I know that you can never really truly live without Darnay, but you shall mourn only a short while for me and move on from this, and you will live your life to it’s fullest!
    This seamstress is so young and really is a wonderful person, although I know I will never feel the same for anyone as I do about you, she is the closest anyone has ever gotten. Her courage and bravery is helping me. She asked me if I was dying for Darnay, I said “yes, and for another”, for you Lucie.
    My death may not be great and be known to all, but I hope it will help create a better place in the world for your children. I can see France rising up in glory again, after this. Not long ago if I had died no one would have wept for me, for Sydney Carton, but now I know someone shall weep. So my dearest Lucie I recognize that this sacrifice is the most worthwhile act of my life, and so I walk up to the guillotine confident and serene, for you, even if you don’t know it yet…..

|Madame Defarge|

I have some business to do before I go to the Guillotine today, but don’t worry my Vengeance I will be there for the twenty-third head - Evremonde!
    What I am about to tell you, is not for the weak ears of my husband. He is a good Republic, but he has his faults and he is likely to concede to a certain Doctor. But I have more of a reason to do this than I think he shall ever know!

If anyone has any right to be upset about the abuses that are mounded upon the commoners, it is I! My whole family was killed by the Marquis St. Evremonde! Evremonde! I have had this family at the top of my list for extermination for a very long time. My sister was abused, my father died of grief, and my brother was killed while trying to avenge my sister’s honour! I have waited long enough for this! Since I was but fifteen years of age! For a very long time I have been knitting a pattern that is a record of all the people whom the revolution will obliterate. Justice for my family will only be served when the whole family of the Marquis has fallen under the murderously sharp blade of the Guillotine! I have no pity for them, not even the youngest child! Now that Charles Evremonde is to die, the last ones to kill are his darling wife Lucie and their child! Because my husband will not let them die at the Guillotine on simply the charge of being related through name, and that she was found innocent of exchanging traitorous signals with the prisoner Evremonde, I have to now take matters into my own hands. She will be at home at the present waiting for the hour of his death, mourning, and brokenhearted. As you know, my Vengeance, it is against the law to mourn for an aristocrat. She will be in such a way to speak in opposition to the righteousness of the republic, and I shall be there to hear every word of it. I am sure she will say something that will damn her whole family to death! Then my husband cannot say no!
    Now take my knitting, I must go, save my usual place for me.……………..No, I shall not be late; I shall be there when the twenty- third head falls!

|Lucie Manette|

My darling little boy, you look so much like your father, you have his eyes, his broad brow and strong jaw , but you have your grandfather’s kind mouth.
    Your grandfather…………I remember long ago when I was just eighteen years of age and traveling to Paris to meet him for the first time. When I first met him, I must say, I was frightened, and scared to embrace him, - just as I was frightened and scared to embrace you. But when he first spoke to me, it was the spark that lit the flame and I love him greatly, just as I love you. I first met your father on my voyage back to England. Prossy always said I had eyes for no other being, except now my children. I knew that we were destined for each other.
    There was one other man, a great man, a man to whom we owe our lives. His name was Sydney Carton. He promised to die for anyone I might love; he was a man that kept his word. For a long while I believed it was just your father, Charles, he referred to, but now I understand he meant everyone, even my children, even you. I have wept every year on the anniversary of his death. Now today, the day on which he died so long ago, is a day when new life is born, the day of your birth.
    When Mr. Carton told me how he felt towards me, your father and I were already planning on marriage. Mr. Carton said that he knew I could never love a man like him. It was heartbreaking because we both knew it was true, although the words went unspoken. I felt badly for Mr. Carton, because I did care for him as a dear friend. He was always the first one to offer to help me. When your father was condemned to death, I begged him to do something; I was in dire need for my Charles to live. I did not know then what Mr. Carton had planned, or else I would have stopped him.
    When I got into the carriage to take me home to England, it was not Sydney Carton but your father in his place. At first I was overwhelmed to be able to hold my Charles again, but then it struck me that Sydney had taken his place at the guillotine. He gave up everything, everyone. It was not right that Charles should die, but neither was it for Sydney. He was a wonderful man, a devoted friend. I wish he could see how France rose up again, and how he helped France. He was a true hero. I wish I could have said goodbye.
    I will not let his name die; I will not let him be forgotten. You owe your life to him, my little… Sydney, we all do, and through you his name will live on.
    I wish you were here my dearest Sydney Carton……