Thread: Les Miserables: two questions...

Les Miserables: two questions...

Greetings everyone.

So I'm reading Les Mis this summer, but have found myself confronted every chapter or so with a very annoying question. Frequently, in the name of a place (usually, conveniently, of one central to the plot), there remains simply the first letter and then a dash. Hence, what should be "bishop of Digne" (I checked the French) becomes "bishop of D--". The version I have (Wordworth Classics) does this, as do some other translations I have come across, but I also notice that in some editions these names are fully printed, as they are in the original text. Obviously, the solution is to switch versions, and I will do so if and when the annoyance of having to look up the names in French reaches a breaking point, but until then, I will satisfy myself with figuring out (and I have had no success so far) exactly why this irregular and seemingly pointless convention is adopted in some English versions of this and some other texts.

My second question has to do with the multitudinous translations available of Les Mis. I understand that despite the many variations in translation, most today are based on the original English version published just months after the release of the French edition. However, I have heard a great number of opinions on what variant is "best". Granted, this is to some degree subjective, yet I would appreciate input, particularly if anyone happens to know exactly what translation is used in the Wordworth Classics publication (probably one out of copyright, but of those there are multiple) and how it compares to other translations. I hear the mass-market paperback is the best modern translation, so I am considering picking up that, but I'm somewhat reticent to spend an extra seven bucks on an new edition of a book of which I already own a copy, unless someone can speak to a large and appreciable difference in that translation, or in another translation.

Thank you all for your time and attention in advance.

-Landon

I don't know anything about the Wordsworth translation, however I read the Norman Denny translation (Penguin Classics) and it really was fantastic. In fact it was such a fantastic read it now stands as one of my all time favourite books. I say dig in with the Penguin Classics translation.
    Only an idiot has no grief; only a fool would forget it. What else is there in this world sharp enough to stick to your guts? - Faulkner

As to the first question:

It depends which edition of Les Misérables you take, though. Mine (in French!) has just got 'Digne' in it.

I suppose the practice of designating cities and sometimes even people with just the first letter or the initial is a kind of means to set the story in a place without naming it exactly because 'it might be true'. As you do in your own diary. If you want to name the person you're in love with and you don't want anyone to know, in case someone might just read your diary, then you just put his initial rather than his own name.
    Not that no-one knew what city it was, though, because there were not a lot of cities with bishops in it starting with the letter D and in the neighbourhood of Toulon where Jean Valjean came from.
    But with the letter and diary connotation, you do bring the story on a higher level of truthfulness than your book would be if you just named the time and place.
    On top of that the using of only intials makes the story timeless and placeless, universal. If you were to name the place, and consequently the bishop, people would be able to check and so determin the time of your story, which makes it narrow to one person in one place. Here, Hugo universalises the city and also his Jean Valjean and the bishop who buys his soul.
    I don't know if this practice is really limited to French literature... Jane Eyre took place in ___shire, P&P had Mr Wickham belonging to the ____shire regiment. So there are English works that also refer to places in a kind of 'you are not allowed to know'-format.
    As to the second, I can't comment because I read it in French.

If you want to join our discussion on the Misérables-forum, you are very welcome.
    Last edited by kiki1982; 07-07-2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    So I'm reading Les Mis this summer, but have found myself confronted every chapter or so with a very annoying question. Frequently, in the name of a place (usually, conveniently, of one central to the plot), there remains simply the first letter and then a dash. Hence, what should be "bishop of Digne" (I checked the French) becomes "bishop of D--". The version I have (Wordworth Classics) does this, as do some other translations I have come across, but I also notice that in some editions these names are fully printed, as they are in the original text. Obviously, the solution is to switch versions, and I will do so if and when the annoyance of having to look up the names in French reaches a breaking point, but until then, I will satisfy myself with figuring out (and I have had no success so far) exactly why this irregular and seemingly pointless convention is adopted in some English versions of this and some other texts.
    Think of it as a welcome opportunity to employ your own creative capabilities. I mean, what does it matter if he's the bishop of Digne or the Bishop of Dingleberry from the Magical Land of Oz? Filling in the blanks yourself gives the work a nice personal touch, you know? Silly convention though, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Madame X View Post
    Think of it as a welcome opportunity to employ your own creative capabilities. I mean, what does it matter if he's the bishop of Digne or the Bishop of Dingleberry from the Magical Land of Oz? Filling in the blanks yourself gives the work a nice personal touch, you know? Silly convention though, I agree.
    Madame X, I am the Bishop of Dingleberry and do not appreciate this offhand use of my title. If you weren't of the fairer sex I would insist upon a duel of honour.

Bishop of D_____

Well, excuse me, Your Grace, but is that permitted given your function as servant of God?
    One has to laugh before being happy, because otherwise one risks to die before having laughed.

"Je crains [...] que l'âme ne se vide à ces passe-temps vains, et que le fin du fin ne soit la fin des fins." (Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac, Acte III, Scène VII)

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1982 View Post
    Well, excuse me, Your Grace, but is that permitted given your function as servant of God?
    I'm not sure but is there a way to change my username to The Bishop of Dingleberry?

Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    I don't know anything about the Wordsworth translation, however I read the Norman Denny translation (Penguin Classics) and it really was fantastic. In fact it was such a fantastic read it now stands as one of my all time favourite books. I say dig in with the Penguin Classics translation.
    i'm not entirely sure about the penguin classics translation being particularly good. as i believe the translator edited the piece - cut large sections out and moved them to the back of the book in an appendix. and from what i can remember his translation is also quite flat and in places convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by Page Turner View Post
    I'm not sure but is there a way to change my username to The Bishop of Dingleberry?
    Why, with a superfluity of legal tender, my son, anything is possible in matters Divine!