View Poll Results: What Should I Read Next?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Brothers Karmazov ~ Fydor Dostoyevsky

10 37.04%
  • The God of Small Things ~ Arundhati Roy

6 22.22%
  • Crime and Punishment ~ Fydor Dostoyevsky

11 40.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Should I Read Next

Blog Entries

What Should I Read Next

I was thinking ahead to my future reading plans when I came to a point in which I am stuck and am not quite sure just what direction I want to go in next.

As of right now, I have just, as of this morning, began Twenty Years After by Dumas, and it is a pretty thick book, so I will probably be reading that one for a while, and I know that after Twenty Years After I want to read Howard's End by E.M. Forster but after that, I am torn between three different books, so I would apperciate any input on which one I should go for next:

The Brothers Karmzov ~ Fydor Dostoyevsky

The God of Small Things ~Arundhati Roy

Crime and Punishment ~ Fydor Dostoyevsky

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I have not read "The God of Small Things", but I easily prefer Karamzov to C&P.

I will always sing the praises of The God of Small Things. But I think it really depends on what kind of style you are up for. Because obviously that's a whole different kettle of literary fish than Dostoyevsky is. I've only read Crime and Punishment, and I quite liked it, but it's not entirely my thing.

Blog Entries
    It is quite different, but well I am ecclectic, a lot of the things I read are vastly different from each other. I haven't read Dostoyevsky yet before, but I have read some of the other Russians, and rather enjoyed it, I have also read some essay's and poetry by Roy before and found it interesitng.

I do enjoy the Russian style but I also have a fascination with India, and Indian spirituality and culture.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Howards End is such a great novel, you'll enjoy that one.

I'd say The Brothers Karamazov. It's so unbelievably amazing.
    Only an idiot has no grief; only a fool would forget it. What else is there in this world sharp enough to stick to your guts? - Faulkner

Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, The Middle East, UK, The Philippines & Papua New Guinea.
    Blog Entries
    For many, (including Henry James who could not finish it), "Crime & Punishment' is dull. Its argued that the character of Raskolnikov is not objective. But then I think there is a certain impotence in the minds of many today which prevent them from living in a book or a character, and keeps them standing afar off, spectators of a puppet show.
    If I might suggest, try "A Hero of Our Time" by Mikhail Lermontov as yet another alternative.

Can't go wong with any Dostoyevsky. BK is better but I voted for C & P.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

El adjetivo, cuando no da vida, mata- Huidobro

I just voted for Crime and Punishment because that is the only one I've read out of the three.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN View Post
    For many, (including Henry James who could not finish it), "Crime & Punishment' is dull. Its argued that the character of Raskolnikov is not objective. But then I think there is a certain impotence in the minds of many today which prevent them from living in a book or a character, and keeps them standing afar off, spectators of a puppet show.
    If I might suggest, try "A Hero of Our Time" by Mikhail Lermontov as yet another alternative.
    I always enjoy suggestions, I will keep that book in mind.

I have never read The God of Small Things, but have heard good things - one of those I'll-get-around-to-it-someday-after-this-one-and-this-one-and-this-one-ad-infinitum books. When you get around to it, let me know how it goes, Dark Muse.
    One can never go wrong with Dostoevsky, one of the greatest novelists and thinkers of all time; he does so well with engendering philosophy, a bit of a dark, cynical philosophy, in each of his novels and shorter stories. I would pay more heed to The Brothers Karamazov, but as you mentioned that you have never read any Dostoevsky, I voted for Crime and Punishment. I consider The Brothers Karamazov his magnum opus, and Crime and Punishment seems, out of any of his novels, along with The Idiot, the ideal introduction to Dostoevsky's genius, the first novel I read of his, too.

Blog Entries
    Brothers Karamazov does seem to be a favorite, but I will keep in mind your suggestion of using Crime and Punishment as a good introduction for a reader new to his work.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I voted Crime and Punishment because I read that one first. It took me a long while to get through it, but I found it fascinating. It's one of my favorite novels. I think there is a problem that people tend not to get into the characters of the novels any more, but let me tell you...when I was reading C&P I tried and got into it, and at times it could be depressing.

My next choice for a Dostoevsky novel was going to be Brothers Karamazov or the Idiot. I decided for the Idiot but I heard Brothers was really good.

Good luck. You can't fail any way you choose.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    Brothers Karamazov does seem to be a favorite, but I will keep in mind your suggestion of using Crime and Punishment as a good introduction for a reader new to his work.
    Admittedly, I started with C&P and then moved on to Karamzov, and looking back, I'm not sure that chronology is necessary. Karamazov contains most of what is good about C&P, including the notion of moral trangression and the ubermensch concept. The greatest strength C&P has is Raskolnikov, who only appears in different shades in the characters of Karamazov.

For start C&P, but immediately after TBK You can't miss.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by mayneverhave View Post
    Admittedly, I started with C&P and then moved on to Karamzov, and looking back, I'm not sure that chronology is necessary. Karamazov contains most of what is good about C&P, including the notion of moral trangression and the ubermensch concept. The greatest strength C&P has is Raskolnikov, who only appears in different shades in the characters of Karamazov.
    Certainly, Ivan is that Dostoyevskian archetype of the belittle or enraged Atheist or ze Ubermensch, like you have mentioned.

One often hears of Dostoevsky's 4 'Shakespearean' novels, which include The Idiot, Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, and Demons. With that said, I've always seen C&P as the Macbeth of the bunch; meaning it is more or less a fast pace and at times bloody read haha

If that sounds appealing dive into that, but The Brothers Karamazov is a slower novel, yet, in my opinion, one with more depth than C&P.
    Last edited by Barbarous; 07-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
    -W.Blake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast