J.D Salinger

A Pefect Day For Bananafish
    Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut
    Just Before the War with the Eskimos
    The Luaghing Man
    Down At the Dinghy
    For Esme-With Love and Sqular
    Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
    Mountains Beyond Mountains - Tracy Kidder
    Marriage on the Rock

and parts of....
    Gone with the Wind
    David Copperfield
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    What did you think of Reading Lolita in Tehran?

I am not a huge reader of non-fiction, but I try to read it on occasion, when now and then something will strike my interest and I heard about this book, the concept sounded interesting, but then I read a lot of reviews saying it was badly done, and really quite boring and dull.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Les Misérables ~Hugo
    Ender's Game ~ Card
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas ~ Boyne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse View Post
    What did you think of Reading Lolita in Tehran?

I am not a huge reader of non-fiction, but I try to read it on occasion, when now and then something will strike my interest and I heard about this book, the concept sounded interesting, but then I read a lot of reviews saying it was badly done, and really quite boring and dull.
    Umm I took a history course this past quarter on the History of Iran...their constitutional revolution of 1979 and such...and had to do a term project.
    This book was on the list.

I liked how Nafisi told the women's stories around the themes of the novels of different authors. She compared Iran of that time with the character of Lolita...so it's interesting how she weaves literature and history.

It could be dull if you aren't interested in the slightest on Iranian history...it might not make sense. The country at the time she did her book club was wrapped in all kinds of turmoil. But it has a kind of romantic approach because when the women came together for the book club once a week it was like a sanctuary; the women could be who they truly were without hiding their nail polish and such. She talks of how the meetings ended up taking the better part of the day and how it seemed like within her walls was a different world - the real world, while outside they were hiding.

I thought it was good. Better than reading history from the textbooks I had. It's really easy on your brain. I didn't like reading non fiction before this one. Give it a try. Even if it has dull points it's really interesting to have Nafisi dive into discussing authors and novels in depth.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

As you can tell I didn't do a lot of sleeping during the month of June

Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov
    Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
    Moscow to the End of the Line by Venedict Erofeiev
    Turn of the Screw by Henry James
    The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien
    Drood by Dan Simmons
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
    expectabam bona et venerunt mihi mala praestolabar lucem et eruperunt tenebrae - Job 30:26

Procrastinator
    Surprisingly little! I had such lofty plans and they just fizzled out. I started reading The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman and that's it! It's not even as if I'm not enjoying it and that's why it's taking me so long; I really like it. It just seems like, with the warm weather, when I actually have a quiet moment and think I could read I just get really drowsy and have to stop. I'm not even far through it. Only one or two hundred pages. By the end of uni, depending on the text, I was getting through more than that in a day.

Look at everyone else's enviable lists.
    If you'd like to talk about Blake I promise I'll keep checking this thread. http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=45098

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lady View Post
    Look at everyone else's enviable lists.
    Awe don't cry! You'll just have to try harder for the month of July!

the road (written beautifully, but for some reason i didn't care about the characters.)
    things fall apart (course book) (also written beautifully, really did care. made me angry.)
    don juan (course book) (hilarious)
    The dispossessed (course book) (ugh, slog slog slog)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    Umm I took a history course this past quarter on the History of Iran...their constitutional revolution of 1979 and such...and had to do a term project.
    This book was on the list.

I liked how Nafisi told the women's stories around the themes of the novels of different authors. She compared Iran of that time with the character of Lolita...so it's interesting how she weaves literature and history.

It could be dull if you aren't interested in the slightest on Iranian history...it might not make sense. The country at the time she did her book club was wrapped in all kinds of turmoil. But it has a kind of romantic approach because when the women came together for the book club once a week it was like a sanctuary; the women could be who they truly were without hiding their nail polish and such. She talks of how the meetings ended up taking the better part of the day and how it seemed like within her walls was a different world - the real world, while outside they were hiding.

I thought it was good. Better than reading history from the textbooks I had. It's really easy on your brain. I didn't like reading non fiction before this one. Give it a try. Even if it has dull points it's really interesting to have Nafisi dive into discussing authors and novels in depth.
    Thanks for the review, I will keep an eye out for it when I do go shopping for books.

I grow, I prosper Jeremiah Jazzz's Avatar
    So I'm on summer break and am going at a rate of reading more than one book at once. This was this month's result.

-Demons by Dostoevsky
    -Eugene Onegin by Pushkin (both this and Demons (translated by Robert A. Maguire) were 'prep' for Petersberg (also translated by Mr.Maguire)).
    -The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner
    -If On a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino
    -As I Lay Dying by Faulkner (was never a fan of Faulkner until I read this and The Sound and the Fury, both incredible reads, but I favor As I Lay Dying more.)
    -Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought I would. I had high hopes!)
    -A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens (this was more or less rushed, but I did enjoy it, again not as much I had thought I would. David Copperfield was more enjoyable.
    -Don Quixote by Cervantes (started in March, finished up the last 200 pages in June)
    -Pere Goriot by Balzac

so this leaves me left with an almost finished Madame Bovary by Flaubert and Petersberg by Andrei Bely, both unbelievably good reads.
    I AM THE BOY
    THAT CAN ENJOY
    INVISIBILITY.

Blog Entries
    Hercules Oetaeus- Seneca
    Phoenissae- Seneca
    On the Shortness of Life- Seneca
    On the Crown- Demosthenes
    The Red and the Black- Stendhal
    The Sale of Creeds- Lucian
    The Way to Write History- Lucian
    (half)Histories- Herodotus
    (half)Against Nature- Huysmans
    (half)De Oratore- Cicero
    "So-Crates: The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." "That's us, dude!"- Bill and Ted
    "This ain't over."- Charles Bronson
    Feed the Hungry!

Blog Entries
    The Other Boleyn Girl (Trash, horrible, TRASH)
    Lily and the Secret Fan (Book Club)
    The Shack (Bible Study)
    Rousseau -Confessions (Still reading)
    The Scarlett Letter (Didn't finish yet)

A rather transitional month for me, so the list is not reflective of my usual reading list.

Quote Originally Posted by lupe View Post
    "Death of a Murdered" - Rupert Thomson
    "Le soleil des Scorta" - Laurent Gaudé
    "Alias Grace" - Margaret Atwood
    "Selected Poems" – K.Kavafis
    "Les Ombres Errantes" - Pascal Quignard
    "Drei Frawen" ("Three Women") - Robert Musil
    What'd you think of Alias Grace? I have mixed feelings toward the text - on one hand, it is brilliant, but on another, I can't help but find Grace's ambiguity, in terms of debate over guilt, to be manufactured - my reading of history doesn't seem to have much room for an understanding of an innocent Grace - I merely assume she killed the people, whereas Atwood, by making history ambiguous, deliberately suggests, she may be innocent, which in our understanding, means she is innocent, though Atwood never satisfies a definite position within her text.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast