View Poll Results: Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • * A bookworm's nightmare!

0 0%
  • ** Take a nap instead!

0 0%
  • *** Finished but no reason to skip meals.

2 18.18%
  • **** Don't forget to unplug the phone for this one!

2 18.18%
  • ***** A bookworm's bibliophilic dream!

7 63.64%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

Internal nebulae TheFifthElement's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Peter, I'll definitely be following your recommendation
    Want to know what I think about books? Check out https://biisbooks.wordpress.com/

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalmoonshin View Post
    I became interested in Eco after reading 'Foucault's Pendulum". Haven't read all of his works but I like his "Serendipities" and "Granita" (a parody of Nabokov's Lolita) in "Misreadings". I was amused with "Baudolino". NOR gave me headaches because of the Latin phrases. (Read it before I took a course on Latin.)
    FP is a much better read than his other novels. It is as easy and pleasant to read as some of his short pieces. Unfortunately, it doesn't all fit together until nearly the end, so some parts seem irrelevant until the end is near.

Hm. I have never heard of this author, but your review intrigues me. The semiotics idea sounds interesting, especially as a driving force for a novel, and in general this sounds like a really exciting yet enriching read. Nutritious but delicious brain food. If I find it at the library this week, or for that matter another title by Eco, I will definitely pick it up.

It is one of my favourite novels, I've never read a better one about charlatanism and gullibility. I'm very fond of The Name of the Rose and The Island of the Day Before too. Baudolino was a little boring, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobF View Post
    Hm. I have never heard of this author, but your review intrigues me. The semiotics idea sounds interesting, especially as a driving force for a novel, and in general this sounds like a really exciting yet enriching read. Nutritious but delicious brain food. If I find it at the library this week, or for that matter another title by Eco, I will definitely pick it up.
    Never heard of Umberto Eco!!! I am sorry to learn that you have not yet lived. I hope that you will enjoy FP as much as it deserves.

I guess I read FP fifteen years ago. Before that I was blissfully ignorant of the Knights Templar. Since then I cannot help but to at least peruse, if not buy, any book on the Templars and their cohorts. The more outlandish the better. I even sank to watching and reading Da Vinci Code.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

El adjetivo, cuando no da vida, mata- Huidobro

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by March Hare View Post
    I guess I read FP fifteen years ago. Before that I was blissfully ignorant of the Knights Templar. Since then I cannot help but to at least peruse, if not buy, any book on the Templars and their cohorts. The more outlandish the better. I even sank to watching and reading Da Vinci Code.
    I was in a used book store last week that had a table of remainders from a metaphysical publisher. Most of the books were about the Templars. The table immediately reminded me of FP.

Have you read the series by Kurtz and Turner-Harris about Templars in modern Scotland. They are rather far fetched but entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Never heard of Umberto Eco!!! I am sorry to learn that you have not yet lived. I hope that you will enjoy FP as much as it deserves.
    I was at the library today and they didn't have FP. The only Eco novel they had was Baudolino, so I'll be reading that soon.

Have you read the series by Kurtz and Turner-Harris about Templars in modern Scotland. They are rather far fetched but entertaining.
    Just googled the series. Might have to check that out.

My favorite, though, are the "nonfictions." For example, Rule by Secrecy by Maars which works a conspiracy theory backwards from the Trilateral Commission through the Templars to the gods of Sumer who were actually extraterrestrials.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

El adjetivo, cuando no da vida, mata- Huidobro

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    I was at the library today and they didn't have FP. The only Eco novel they had was Baudolino, so I'll be reading that soon.
    Baudolino is not as good a story as Foucault's Pendulum. If you are disappointed with it, please don't let turn you off to Eco.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by March Hare View Post
    Just googled the series. Might have to check that out.

My favorite, though, are the "nonfictions." For example, Rule by Secrecy by Maars which works a conspiracy theory backwards from the Trilateral Commission through the Templars to the gods of Sumer who were actually extraterrestrials.
    I prefer reading fiction that is put forth as fiction. If I weren't acquainted with people who take conspiracy theories as if they were fact, then I might find enjoyment in reading such things.

Baudolino is not as good a story as Foucault's Pendulum. If you are disappointed with it, please don't let turn you off to Eco.
    Nah, I'm not that fickle. I'm still going to look around for FP.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    Blog Entries
    Nah, I'm not that fickle. I'm still going to look around for FP.
    Used bookstores are excellent places to find books, especially books that came out more than a couple of years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12