Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Canada Day

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeccaT View Post
    I like both the Barenaked Ladies and Great Big Sea =(.
    Hahaha so do I, it's just that they're the obligatorily present Canadian bands that play the same songs all the time. So it's not as though by not watching the festivities one is missing something new and exciting lol
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
    Here's to you Canada!

Ha ha ha ha!

To be Canadian is to own a toque, eh? lol

Here in the Prairies, we went mental with fireworks from 10:00 p.m. on till midnight (at various locations). The mosquitoes actually let us enjoy our moment.... [for now!!]

Oh Canada, we spell thy name as follows:

C eh
    N eh
    D eh

TTFN!
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by *Classic*Charm* View Post
    Hahaha so do I, it's just that they're the obligatorily present Canadian bands that play the same songs all the time. So it's not as though by not watching the festivities one is missing something new and exciting lol
    Neither of those bands constitute even a fraction of Canadian music. Gordon Lightfoot, for instance, Leonard Cohen (at least when he was writing good music), Stan Rogers, Tragically Hip, etc. and those are just a few, rather mainstream artists - the niched ones are even better, and, we have quite a few good composers. Of course, few make them out of here into audiences that can appreciate them - for instance, the French Canadian culture rarely finds an audience in the United States, and probably won't ever - Canadian composers rarely find much of a venue, yet there still is some great stuff coming from them, as well as the large immigrant communities that often have foreign sounds carried with them from wherever they may have come from - Canadian arts and music are too hard to classify, in many ways, we, for instance, have quite a few expat Chinese composers and musicians who have rather niched audiences - that isn't a Canadian sound mind you, but there technically is no distinctly "Canadian" sound that fits for the total population.

Of course though, there certainly is a "What is not" a Canadian sound, and much ink has been spilled over it.

No Canadian would call The Barenaked Ladies essential - Shania Twain (though I doubt it) maybe, but certainly not BNL.

If you are interested in Canadian music, you can listen to it commercial free here: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Neither of those bands constitute even a fraction of Canadian music. Gordon Lightfoot, for instance, Leonard Cohen (at least when he was writing good music), Stan Rogers, Tragically Hip, etc. and those are just a few, rather mainstream artists - the niched ones are even better, and, we have quite a few good composers. Of course, few make them out of here into audiences that can appreciate them - for instance, the French Canadian culture rarely finds an audience in the United States, and probably won't ever - Canadian composers rarely find much of a venue, yet there still is some great stuff coming from them, as well as the large immigrant communities that often have foreign sounds carried with them from wherever they may have come from - Canadian arts and music are too hard to classify, in many ways, we, for instance, have quite a few expat Chinese composers and musicians who have rather niched audiences - that isn't a Canadian sound mind you, but there technically is no distinctly "Canadian" sound that fits for the total population.

Of course though, there certainly is a "What is not" a Canadian sound, and much ink has been spilled over it.

No Canadian would call The Barenaked Ladies essential - Shania Twain (though I doubt it) maybe, but certainly not BNL.

If you are interested in Canadian music, you can listen to it commercial free here: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/
    JBI, while I do appreciate your regular efforts to bury the majority of my posts in some sort of informative lecture (admittedly- I have a lot to learn in many aspects of literature- it's why I'm here), if there is one thing I do not need to be lectured about it's music, and Canadian music at that.

I did not say that the BNL are essential to the Canadian repertoire, simply that they do seem to frequent events such as Canada day festivities because they serve to entertain the varying demographic who attend these events and most of the more commercially successful Canadian bands are off doing more important things.

If you'd simply like me to admit that I was wrong, here it is! Neither BNL nor Great Big Sea were present on Parliament Hill on Canada Day. No Shania either.

Oh, and thank you, I could no longer remember how to access the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post

who gives a **** if a band has a Canadian sound, and more importantly, what does this argument have to do with the Canada Day thread?

Also, Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot currently live in Los Angeles in the United States. As far as i'm concerned, what makes a band "Canadian" is living in Canada?

Maybe you should spend more time learning about music and less time insulting people's intelligence.

in other news:

In celebration of Canada Day I bought a ticket to get see my favorite CANADIAN band "The Weakerthans" when they come to the states in September!!
    I'm losing all those stupid games
    That I swore I'd never play

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mathor View Post
    in other news:

In celebration of canada day i bought a ticket to get see my favorite canadian band "the weakerthans" when they come to the states in september!!
    yay!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12