Thread: Seasonal reading

Seasonal reading

As a hot, dry, dusty summer looms here I find myself wondering what of Faulkner's to read next. And I know when the cold rains start in November I'll pick up something British, usually Victorian. February is generally reserved for the Russians.
    Anyone else drawn to authors or genre by the weather?
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

El adjetivo, cuando no da vida, mata- Huidobro

Sometimes, but other factors usually dictate what I read more than the weather. The glorious summer, said because I am free from the evils of work for almost seven weeks, and also for the fact that I don't have much uni work, usually means that I read whatever takes my fancy. Though, like you I have been known to read "colder" books during winter.

This year however I will probably be reading Milton on the beach, which doesn't seem right somehow, but what the hell. I am also going to read some Sidney and whatever else drifts along on the wind.

I've never really thought of reading certain genres by season. When you think of it, it really sounds like a good idea. I usually read some of my favorite books in the summer or winter because those are the seasons when I feel most nostalgic.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    "Milton on the beach"

Now that sounds like a book someone really ought to write.
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Blog Entries
    That seems to happen to be by chance, or perhaps by some sixth sense instinct. Several times in a row now I really be reading some book of which I just choose by chance, or without considering seasons, and it will just so happen that the book will reference the month of time of year, that I just so happen to be reading the book in.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I definitely am drawn to specific styles and even authors depending on the season.
    Some books are perfect for stormy winter nights curled up in front of the fireplace and some are meant to be savoured while sitting on the porch on a steamy summer day.

There are certain reads I got to in the summer, namely ones that take place during, such as Mrs. Dalloway or Ulysses. But for me such titanic writers like Proust, Dostoevsky are mostly read in the winter.
    If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
    -W.Blake

This celestial seascape! Lynne50's Avatar
    Someone recently suggested "Innocents Abroad" by Mark Twain as being a fun read. I've started it and totally agree. For the summer, this is the perfect book for someone like me who would love to go to exotic places but can't afford the expense. It's a good travelogue and quite funny to boot.
    "What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare." W.H. Davies