Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paperback or Hardback

Quote Originally Posted by baddad
    mmmmmm.....Cheap Books Table........mmmmmmmm

I love the look and feel of a hardcover. Reading them demands a more reverent handling, no spine cracking, no jamming it carelessly into your pack, or tossing the book on a a table (or worse) , simply because the hardcover seems more substantial in its literary value........of course, this is probably some subconscious psychological pathology stemming from the actual physical weight of the book and not its literary merit.....I mean, how can its merit be transformed by a mere change of balance? However, I expend lots of energy and time finding the cheapest, used paperback copy of every book I purchase..............unless its on the 'buck-a-book' table as a hardcover....
    hmmm..... sounds like we're judging a book by it's cover....
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    I prefer paperbacks because I can keep a paperpack in "good as new" condition but my hard backs always look read. And dont even get me started on dust covers. Also I can usally fit one or two paperbacks in my bag and I cant do that with a hard cover!!
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

If it's available and affordable, then hardback all the way.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Well I just got back from purchasing the hardback version of Don Quixote, translated by Edith Grossman. My Penguin paperback is so worn out from the heaviness of the book itself. The black cover looks horrible now.
    No man should die without first reading the world's greatest literature.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baddad
    I love the look and feel of a hardcover. Reading them demands a more reverent handling, no spine cracking, no jamming it carelessly into your pack, or tossing the book on a a table (or worse) , simply because the hardcover seems more substantial in its literary value
    Yea yea..got your point...but it's still cost...

"there are people in the world so hungry that God can not appear to them except in the form of bread"

Mahatma Gandhi

I think it depends on the length of the book over six or seven hundred and it has to be in hardback or else it just wont last through it's third reading
    But if it is a shorter book then paperback is the way to go..
    "I'm farther from doing what I want to do than I was 20 years ago"

~~H.P.Lovecroft~~

Join the Church Of Cthulhu!!

I prefear paperbacks, cos they are cheaper. I only buy hardbacks if they are on sale and cheaper than paperbacks. All the classics I own are also paperbacks. I've bought a couple of the Wordsworth editions, since they cost only about 2 € each. And then I've got lost of mum's old Penguin editions of classics... And anyway: My favoritebooks I own in paperback, (well apart from Harry Potter).

plz O plz put it away!!1 ucdawg12's Avatar
    I like hardbacks because they make me feel good about myself... and they look better on my shelf. Most of my favorite books are in hardback, Moby-Dick, V., Ulysses etc. I try to get hardbacks as often as I can but unfortunately they are not always still in print.
    "O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."

hmm, maybe the topic will be resurrected! paperbacks mostly for me--less expensive and theyre easier to store/handle...

I like the feel of a hardback book. That said, I always toss the dust jacket. I mean, what's with those things? They're annoying. They slip around. The inside flaps pop out. Do they really keep the dust off the book? I don't have sofa covers either, nor plastic wrap on my lamp shades. And I get by just fine, thank you. My father always said, keep the dust jacket. It'll make the book more valuable. More valuable? Good God, if I have to someday sell my books to get by, then I deserve to starve.

still waiting to be found amanda_isabel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I mostly shop for books in second hand stores, so in whatever kind of binding it comes in, I take it

I prefer curling up in a corner with a hardback in general (I can open the book completely without worrying about the binding, something I never really thought of until my friend pointed it out), but I prefer stuffing a paperback in my bag.
    ...don't need therapy to rehabilitate my smile...

http://profiles.friendster.com/6239700

if it's free, hardback, if not, paperback. I like to write in books, and hardback is much easier, also hardback spreads over a bed more nicely, and lets me write on a bed.

still waiting to be found amanda_isabel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    I like the feel of a hardback book. That said, I always toss the dust jacket. I mean, what's with those things? They're annoying. They slip around. The inside flaps pop out. Do they really keep the dust off the book? I don't have sofa covers either, nor plastic wrap on my lamp shades. And I get by just fine, thank you. My father always said, keep the dust jacket. It'll make the book more valuable. More valuable? Good God, if I have to someday sell my books to get by, then I deserve to starve.
    Cheers, Chester!

Dust jackets are annoying, so while I'm reading it I remove it, and when I finish the book it's back in its jacket
    ...don't need therapy to rehabilitate my smile...

http://profiles.friendster.com/6239700

Well, there is something to be said for the art. I'm old enough to remember record albums and artistic album covers. (Remember? Hell, I have a collection of them from my youth.) Sgt. Pepper was a masterpiece. The Stones' "Sticky Fingers" had an actual zipper as part of the cover. I suppose dust jackets are like album covers in a way.

Still, I'm going to keep tossing the dust jackets. (But I'm keeping my album collection.)

I prefer hardbacks when I can get them, especially old ones. I just like the feel of the book in my hands, the hardness of the cover, the softness of the old pages. They're easier to hold and they usually have wider margins and bigger type. Just easier on my old hands and eyes.

But I hate it when you get a library book and it has underlining, or food stains, or turned-down page corners. I'd rather read a paperback than that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast