Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: help me plan for tea

Blog Entries

help me plan for tea

I'm thinking about planning an afternoon tea for the ladies where I worship. I've never done this sort of thing before. I expect 20 to 30 women would attend. What should I serve? What time should I plan for? Are there activities that go along? Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Blog Entries
    English breakfast tea + earl grey

Scones - without the date/sultana things they put in them because they're so gross

and cucumber sandwiches.

Kicking it old school

Cupcakes!

Blog Entries
    That's quite a few people. I've never done that but it sounds so cool. I guess I would have choices of tea and cookies and scones as lima suggests, though I don't know if scones are available where you live. I would love to do that. Not sure if any of those ladies like to put some brandy into their tea. But I also wondered, what if people don't leave when it's dinner time? Will you have to feed all those people?
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    Why wouldn't she have scones where she lives?

Blog Entries
    We are pretty ... I don't know a good word. Actually, there is only one shop that has scones and it's new. But I have a good recipe for them.

Blog Entries
    how about making a big bowl of rissotto (which i think is nice cold)
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/529054
    I think its great with lots of different mushrooms, courgette and peas...
    and caramel slices!
    http://www.netcooks.com/recipes/Cook...mel.Slice.html
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

I made high tea for my sister's birthday this year. We had a glass of sherry, then cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches cut into small triangles; crusty bread spread with pate; hard-boiled eggs; fruit bread and home-made scones with lemon curd, strawberry jam and clotted cream; fairy cakes, all served with Earl Grey tea or coffee. By this time everyone was full, but they had to make room for home-made trifle . We rounded the afternoon off with a glass of champagne.

Oh, if you want to be really authentic, you have to serve it on the dot of 5pm
    "Books don't offer real escape but they can stop a mind scratching itself raw." David Mitchell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by limajean View Post
    Why wouldn't she have scones where she lives?
    scones with dates are the best or chocolate chip
    I am back............................

Blog Entries
    I think simple but healthy is best... fruit, cheese, etc... but then I am in the minority.

The logistics of the occasion would probably be your guide, motherhubbard: are you hosting this event in your own home or at a church hall or maybe in a garden somewhere? Will your guests be seated together at tables to have their tea or will they be standing/sitting around in small informal groups? If you are planning a formal meal, what in the UK would be calles a High Tea, you would probably need to serve something fairly substantial, cold meats and salads would be the order of the day here in Wales, followed by cakes at least, maybe fruit salad or trifle. If the occasion is less formal, a variety of sandwiches followed by a selection of cakes, small cup/fairy cakes, slices of sponge cakes or fingers of fruit cake, with tea or coffee. If you are having 'tea in your hand', as the Welsh describe it, then the sandwiches and cakes need to be small and dainty, bite-size and non-crumbling - I always feel scones need you to be sitting down because the fresh cream variety need to be tackled with a cake fork, unless they are tiny.

If you are at all interested ( ) I have consulted a couple of friends who have attended Garden Parties at Buckingham Palace - apparently Her Majesty goes for dainty crustless sandwiches, egg, cream cheese or salmon, savoury vol-au-vents and other small savoury pastries, followed by 'fancies', decorated sponge in bite-size portions, served with tea or coffee or orange juice. (No, I have never attended such a 'do', HM has unaccountably overlooked my invitation yet again, I clearly have not Done Enough For My Country - the friends who have been were both mayor for the year in their town or county.)

And of course HM has Staff: make sure you have enrolled some helpers for the afternoon - you can't Meet and Greet as hostess if you are making the tea and handing round plates of goodies and collecting the dirty dishes for washing up!

Plan ahead - then enjoy! And please do tell us how it all went off! And the final menu, of course.