Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How the Qu'ran encourages the emancipation of women

loquacious cat mrawr

How the Qu'ran encourages the emancipation of women

What, is your opinion of the above statement?

loquacious cat mrawr
    For reference, this is not a religious question, simply what is your opinion?

The little of Qu'ran I read didn't make me feel like it encourages the emancipatation women at all

If I haven't read someone's paper dealing with ... something along those lines if I remember correctly (ahem, and so not telling ) I wouldn't have even known the little I know now, from what I read it didn't make me feel like 'emancipation of women' and 'Qu'ran' belongs into the same sentence. But then it all depends on what you understand under 'emancipation of women' I guess.
    I have a plan: attack!

loquacious cat mrawr
    in the 7th century, the prophet mohammed encouraged women to be equals of men, which was a revolutionary idea, compared to their primary status as units of trade in the surrounding tribal and patriarchal Arabian society. I'm an athiest, and i only came a across this while browsing for a topic to make a public speech on. It occured to me, that the modern interpretation of islam in itself is oddly not related to the original teachings. Today, women in Europe are still fighting for equal rights, in Denmark women only got voting rights in 1915, the prophet mohammad gave women the right to vote in 700. Somehow that is very thought provoking, since the wetsern world is so busy preaching about the imorality of islam, even though few know what they are talking about...

just an interesting observation...

It is quite interesting that you pointed that out Chava, as so many people overlook that part of Islam. And for your interest, I do agree with the above statement. From what I have read, Islam teaches that women have the right to vote, to recieve an education, to work etc. The sad thing is, the teachings of Islam have been somewhat distored over time - people place their own interpretations in the meanings to suit themselves, culture becomes intertwined in the teachings (like honour killings) etc. and people consequently fall short from seeing what Islam teaches. Sorry, cannot go into too much detail about my thoughts without this turning into a religous post

And I appologise if my writing is so incoherent. Ah, what staying up too late on the net can do to your brain lol

Just got curious and searched a few sites, it seems that islam women do have voting rights as oposoed to what I thought earlier, found a few things I'd like to read later... when I'm not packing, lol. Actually, after the finals are over I could read the Qu'ran. Thanks for bringing this up

Quote Originally Posted by Chava
    in Denmark women only got voting rights in 1915
    Italy ---> 1946

I know less than nothing about Islam, today I was quickly reading some short articles about women that had troubles in Islamic countries and ran away, some of them after having been beaten or even burnt by their husbands... But one of them was saying that the Qu'ran doesnt really state that the women have to be submitted that way, it's just that those habits got into the culture, but it's not a religious imposing. So as Molko said, it has been distorted... i think it's a matter of fact though that in some Islamic countries women have no right to choose their husband or to choose weather to wear a veil or not, or even to wear make up or stuff...Or maybe this was Afghanistan before the Talibans were kicked out (naif way of saying it), I dont remember... But anyway, it would be curious to know what the Qu'ran really says on those topics.
    By the way, I think there is a book of the Bible that doesnt have flattering things about women, like in 'some days' they are impure and shouldnt touch anything not to make it impure and such...(is this turning into 'religious texts'?)
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Should this move to religious text section, where it's suppose to be?

It depends how you comprehend the teachings...I see some Muslim women who totally holds the patriachal values based on some verses in the teachings. On the other hand, some of my friends are very liberal and stated that Islam doesn't hold back women to be equal as man in many kinds of fields

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Some provinces of Canada allowed women to vote only since the 1940's. As someone who believes all people should be free, I cannot abide any text or doctorine that denies what is inherently the human condition and that which we are born into, one of the few things we may call our own. FREEDOM of our own lives!!!

P.S.....WHEN IS THE WORLD GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE HORROR IN SUDAN????????????????

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baddad
    P.S.....WHEN IS THE WORLD GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE HORROR IN SUDAN????????????????

The world? Isn't that mean it include you and I?

Oh my, what do you think we should do?

loquacious cat mrawr
    Define the problem, teach everybody about konflict resolution.... stop electing silly world leaders, eliminate the concept of segregation.... there are vast opportunities...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    vast but hard....

Which means...

loquacious cat mrawr
    primarily? it means when and where should we all start?

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level

1st and last political statement

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    The world? Isn't that mean it include you and I?

Oh my, what do you think we should do?
    Speak out. Let your views be known. A simple tee shirt proclaiming your abhorence, an arm band signifying solidarity with those suffering, write to your member of parliament, stand on the corner with a sign that reads, "Stop the rape and slaughter." Protest at school, leave a message on the Sudanese Government website, send an email, do anything, something, but be sure to remember that evil flourishes in the dark. Drag the horror into the sunlight where others can see it and they will be repelled and sickened......and maybe they too will speak out, wear a sign, a shirt, an armband............spread the word and others may/will feel the need to speak out.......

These may seem inconsequential acts, pointless even, but keeping the spotlight on our own governments actions/lack of actions is the least we can do, keeping the horror in the light is critical to ending it.......

People have a tendency to ignore anything that is not happening right in front of them, or happening to them personally. Bringing attention to abhorent actions in other areas of the world is difficult, but not impossible. Media coverage can be used for good as well as for the disemination of disinformation. Pressure on the media to maintain an ongoing coverage of any given subject can produce a groundswell of support for just about any cause. Living in Indonesia as you do, you have recently witnessed the power of the media firsthand: the whole world agonized in Dec. 2004, along with your country. Attempt to put the media to work. Hassle them into covering events in Sudan. University newspapers have been known to support causes that later bled into the mainstream media. Every little bit helps.

Genocide, or what is more gently termed these days as 'Ethnic Cleansing' (sounds soft, like your giving someone a bath') seems to be an accepted practice as long as it is not happening in our own countries. Personally I find this disgusting at the least. What is more disturbing is the world's response to these historic and now on-going slaughters: inaction, discussions, political manouvering, facades of caring, words of condolence expressed but no action taken.........

Europe just celebrated the ceasation of hostilities in Europe 60 years ago. Yet forgotten is the horricific slaughter, the appeasement tactics that failed, the root result of ingoring the slaughter that everyong deigned to ignore or pretend wasn't happening.......all forgotten/ignored for more expedient political reasons. Afterall, it isn't their citizenry being raped, maimed, murdered, hacked to pieces......

*IIIIeeee.......ugly tirade ends here....*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast