Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 121

Thread: The Purpose of Life

  1. #76
    Registered User Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    53
    It's all relative.
    For a romantic, to live the life to the fullest.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

  2. #77
    Registered User Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    53
    It's all relative.
    For a romantic, to live the life to the fullest.
    For a classicist, to live a good life and make sure nothing happens.

    I am very passive about purpose of life, when it comes down to it, just staying alive would be a good 'univesal' answer. If you think about it, much what we do now is to stay alive:
    Why do I go to school? Because I want a job, a better education yields better job opportunities, better job opportunities yield a higher earning, a higher earning will provide for the basic survival.
    Why do people get rich and get richer then? I don't think to get rich is the purpose of life, the material world ends with subsistence, in my feeble opinion, I believe that a good life(i can't give one single universal answer it is impossible) is a life of a renaissance man, and i have accumulated knowledge according to it, I studied basic arithmtics language, geography, history, but I also is as fascinated by Music as I am fascinated by physics, I think I would die a happy man if my life had been full of activity, I would die a happy man if I was not just a scholar, but an athelete. I would ide a happy man if I was not just an athlete, but a musician.

    When I was in 11th grade, one of my friend asks me to sign his year book, I shocked the classroom when I wrote:" the purpose of life is to fornicate with as many partners and as often as possible" was that a serious response? Maybe. The naive me thought that the entire purpose of life can be sum up by three words:
    Emulate (Learning/education)
    Accumulate (Wealth/knowledge)
    Copulate (biological process)
    I guess I was wrong...
    E.B
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

  3. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    24
    The purpose of life is not to be speculated on. It is known, and has been told to us. The purpose of life is to glorify God, to serve him, for that is the only way in which man can achieve true happiness. It is not through sin, nor material goods, nor through busyness that we can be happy, it is through God, and the path of the straight and narrow.

  4. #79
    Registered User Edmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    53
    What if I don't have a religion, then is my life meaningless? should I commit suicide because my life has no meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by djtru
    The purpose of life is not to be speculated on. It is known, and has been told to us. The purpose of life is to glorify God, to serve him, for that is the only way in which man can achieve true happiness. It is not through sin, nor material goods, nor through busyness that we can be happy, it is through God, and the path of the straight and narrow.
    That's exactly what I said, "It's all relative" for someone who worship his god, his life is just that, but for others it's whatever he thinks he should be doing.
    Last edited by Edmond; 09-01-2005 at 01:25 PM.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

  5. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond
    When I was in 11th grade, one of my friend asks me to sign his year book, I shocked the classroom when I wrote:" the purpose of life is to fornicate with as many partners and as often as possible" was that a serious response? Maybe. The naive me thought that the entire purpose of life can be sum up by three words:
    Emulate (Learning/education)
    Accumulate (Wealth/knowledge)
    Copulate (biological process)
    I guess I was wrong...
    This reminds me of one of my previous college professors, who specialized in evolutionary psychology and biology. Having proceeded far ahead of our class schedule, the class debated with her idea that everything humans do, big or small, no pun intended, we do for sex and intimacy.
    One student would ask: "then, why do we go to school?" Our professor would answer: "to eventually find a good job, impress others with your education, elope with the most ideal mate, and . . ."
    Another student would ask: "why do I brush my teeth every morning?" The professor would answer: "to enhance your appearance, and increase your chances of attracting others."
    Though I cannot help but disagree with some of her concepts, we all had a good laugh.

  6. #81
    unidentified hit record blp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,436
    Blog Entries
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by mono
    This reminds me of one of my previous college professors, who specialized in evolutionary psychology and biology. Having proceeded far ahead of our class schedule, the class debated with her idea that everything humans do, big or small, no pun intended, we do for sex and intimacy.
    One student would ask: "then, why do we go to school?" Our professor would answer: "to eventually find a good job, impress others with your education, elope with the most ideal mate, and . . ."
    Another student would ask: "why do I brush my teeth every morning?" The professor would answer: "to enhance your appearance, and increase your chances of attracting others."
    Though I cannot help but disagree with some of her concepts, we all had a good laugh.
    I agree with your professor, especially after the documentary on feminine desire that was on here in England last night. There was a Dutch sex researcher on (why are these people always Dutch?) explaining how the effect on the brain of orgasm was very very similar to that of heroine or cocaine - and the reason for that was that it was nature giving us an incentive to procreate.

  7. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Posts
    2,234
    <the effect on the brain of orgasm was very very similar to that of heroine or cocaine - and the reason for that was that it was nature giving us an incentive to procreate.>

    Yet I don't see hordes of unattached women begging for a fix. Do you?
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

    The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

    The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

    The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

  8. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by djtru
    The purpose of life is not to be speculated on. It is known, and has been told to us. The purpose of life is to glorify God, to serve him, for that is the only way in which man can achieve true happiness. It is not through sin, nor material goods, nor through busyness that we can be happy, it is through God, and the path of the straight and narrow.

    Was God and his purpose truely known to us the element of faith would be devoid of meaning and God would be another tyrant. Furthermore if the point of God is to give meaning then one could say that all religion is reduced to a comodification of God and those who follow him. Lastly, if the purpose of life was to glorify God, then we have to reach the conclusion that those who are happiest are those who glorify him the best and that all distance from God and the optimum means to glorify Him results from an inability to find purpose and meaning in life. Are all none Christians unhappy? Which is this particular branch of Christianity that results in ultimate happiness? What kind of God creates for his own glorification?

  9. #84
    I'm a shadow of myself adilyoussef's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In my thoughts
    Posts
    2,582
    This question, that I have been also asking myself, is a little bit difficult to be answered. It really deppends of the kind of people we are. If you follow a religion, the question is already answerd by your religion. If not, life is meaningless for you. You my warship God, seek pleasur or seclude yourself in an isolated place if that is sutable for you and make a purpose for your life. For some, life is meaningless, for others it is a track leading to another one, others consider it as a weel including death and rebirth in other coditions according to the kind of person you were, and as a test for other kinds of people. It really depends on our believes and cultur. Whether you set a purpose in your life or it is set upon you, by the end you will die. Think deaply about it rather than regrating past mistakes and things that should be done. It's your life it is not mine, so it is up to you to live it the way you see fit.

    Oh! life you'r but hell
    Oh! hell you'r but in me
    When I'v lost your love
    I'm lost in an ocean of destiny

  10. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Plechazunga
    Was God and his purpose truely known to us the element of faith would be devoid of meaning and God would be another tyrant. Furthermore if the point of God is to give meaning then one could say that all religion is reduced to a comodification of God and those who follow him. Lastly, if the purpose of life was to glorify God, then we have to reach the conclusion that those who are happiest are those who glorify him the best and that all distance from God and the optimum means to glorify Him results from an inability to find purpose and meaning in life. Are all none Christians unhappy? Which is this particular branch of Christianity that results in ultimate happiness? What kind of God creates for his own glorification?
    But to what kind of God do you refer in the first place ?
    - Is it the nature (its Law) like the PC processor ?
    - Is it the Gods who uses the Law of Nature who would have created us like we use the PC processor to create 3D world ?
    Then we are just stuffs or slaves or sheeps. What the purpose of the sheeps for us ? Just to eat, entertain or work animal
    - Is it the Ultimate God who created the Gods who created the Gods who created us but then is he even conscious of us since we are not ourselve conscious of each cell of our body ?

  11. #86
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4
    The word "God" itself implies there is only one. As to the nature of God, it would depend on who you ask.

  12. #87
    freakishly random Lauralou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    12

    Arrow Purpose for Anyone... Not just Christians

    One of the most inspiring books I have ever read is Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E Frankl. I am a Catholic and for me meaning comes from God. But I liked this book because it is based on true experiences of being in a concentration camp. Frankl is a psychatrist so he is able to annalyze his thoughts and experiences as well as his peers. He claims there are two was to find meaning in one's life which surprisingly aren't directly realated to God or a super natural high power: One is because they love someone and that love makes life worth living or they have a "project" like a novel or a talent that they feel they must complete that no one else but they can. This may sound odd but if u read the book it makes perfect sense. God fits into the love category. It talks about finding meaning in life even when u suffer. If ne one has read it let me know what u think of it.

    Lauren <--- this is so random but thats what makes it so funny

  13. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    8
    Recently I read a book by Thomas Moore called Dark nights of the soul.It discusses about the dark sides of one's life. It also speaks about about one's problems at his lonly hour-long illness or death of a loved one. Twenty years ago Ilost my father and my girlfriend one after another.Sudden demise of a loved one (be it mother,father or friend) leaves one shattered.Suddenly the meaning of life is not known to you.You don't know where to turn?Your mind suddenly becomes blank.Something seems to pushing you deep inside a void.You start asking questions?Whatis life? What is its purpose? Thomas Moore book has a thrapeutic valve in it.

    ------------------- ----------------------------- ----------------------
    What is self?-Consciousness is self.

  14. #89
    confused1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    cali..the REAL OC ..what a joke!
    Posts
    17
    i had a dream about how to get to the meaning of life faster. my friend, in my dream, told me that the meaning of finding life lies in one of the polyatomic ions squared..!!! i know what does this have to do with anything, but i think now about it and it has to do with everything. life is simple yet we make things come out to be soo complicated that we confuse ourselves and miss the POINT. so perhaps then that the meaning of life has always been and is probably right IN FRONT OF US but we just missed it in questioning IT..good luck out there for all those "searchers"..>!

    _what is more important finding the MEANING OF LIFE or LIVING LIFE?_
    *i think i would like to spend my life LIVING and not dwelling..."LIfe will come to YOU" (-my uncle told me this ^_^)
    Last edited by confused1; 11-11-2005 at 05:25 AM.
    "Names can be named, but not the Eternal Name."
    -Tao Teh Ching
    Lao Tzu

  15. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Posts
    2,234
    Life is not simple.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

    The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

    The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

    The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Similar Threads

  1. No Subject
    By Unregistered in forum The Voyage of the Beagle
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 11:44 PM
  2. purpose of life
    By imthefoolonthehill in forum General Chat
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 10:14 PM
  3. Crusoe
    By Unregistered in forum Robinson Crusoe
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 08:08 AM
  4. Purpose of a Religious Life
    By DumbLikeAPoet in forum Religious Texts
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 02-15-2006, 10:05 PM
  5. Treatise on Life
    By Prof in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 04:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •