Thread: Film Adaps you'd like to see

kjt1981

Film Adaps you'd like to see

This has probably been done before and film adaps are generally poorer, but which books would you like to see become films?

Im reading "Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell at the moment and i think perhaps with the right cast/directors it would make a decent couple of hours.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    I would love to see the already extant film adaptation of "Bored of the Rings", but I would also like to make a better version.

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A Green Arrow film. I'm begging.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

I've gotten so bitter about books made into movies, they always seem to screw it up somehow. I always have this inner fight when I read a great book, at first I think I would love to see that onscreen, I would love to see who they cast as this character or that, I would love to see how they see this setting or that and then I think of pretty much every movie I've ever seen made from a book I liked and then I think, no, I don't want to see it onscreen. I have a tendancy to take these things waaay so seriously.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Bulgakov's 'Master and Margarita'. There was some talk at one point about it being filmed but it turned out to be false.

S

The Runner - Cynthia Voight

I would always think it interesting to see a film adaption of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, though a movie already exists called Sylvia, which, unfortunately, I have yet to see.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Idril
    I've gotten so bitter about books made into movies, they always seem to screw it up somehow. I always have this inner fight when I read a great book, at first I think I would love to see that onscreen, I would love to see who they cast as this character or that, I would love to see how they see this setting or that and then I think of pretty much every movie I've ever seen made from a book I liked and then I think, no, I don't want to see it onscreen. I have a tendancy to take these things waaay so seriously.
    I know the feeling. The problem with film adaptations is that a novella of about 20,000 words is equililant to a 90 minute movie (that's a rough generalization). At that rate, a 60,000 word novel would require a 4.5 hour movie to do it complete justice, The Return of the King was about 3.5 hours, but to include everything would have required about twice that length. I can only think of two books that were turned into good movies that really did justice to the book: "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". "The Maltese Falcon" is almost identical in both media. Both were made by John Houston and starred Humphrey Bogart, which probably has a relationship with how true to the book they were.

I would love to see a GOOD film version of Wuthering Heights and I'm looking forward to the film adaption of 'The Perfume' by Patrick Süskind , which starts in September.
    " Apres nous le deluge "
    Madame Pompadour

Das Publikum verwechselt leicht den, welcher im Trüben fischt, mit dem , welcher aus der Tiefe schöpft.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by mono
    I would always think it interesting to see a film adaption of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, though a movie already exists called Sylvia, which, unfortunately, I have yet to see.

Sylvia was pretty good.. but I don't know about a film version of the bell jar

that might ruin the novel for me plus I don't think that anyone making it into a film could even get close to it. I think it would be very challenging to make that into a film but if someone does it and does it well I would see it.

I think I might be a little bit of a book snob because I don't believe that necessarily all novels need to be made into film. Don't get me wrong I am a film freak but sometimes I think people forget that it was a book first.

However some novels are easier to understand if they are made visual.

"The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K Dick should be made into a movie because it would be a great opportunity to do a better job of developing the novel's main idea. The idea of "what if Japan and Germany had won WWII and occupied America?" is great but Dick shot himself in the foot. The novel could have been far better than it is so I think a film using the same premise could be excellent.
    "And the worms, they will climb
    The rugged ladder of your spine"

Quote Originally Posted by Azazello
    Bulgakov's 'Master and Margarita'. There was some talk at one point about it being filmed but it turned out to be false.

S
    Is it the one about a fat cat which talked to people?
    They (russians) filmed it during this winter and showed on russian TV. It was about 10 parts or something. They showed one part each evening.
    I didn't watch it because I never read that book. But my parents enjoyed watching that movie. They both love russian literature.

------------------------------
    On topic:

I'd really like to see a movie version of J.London's "The Sea Wolf" and his North stories about Klondike and Yukon.
    I think there was one old movie version of SeaWolf produced by one of Baltic states during the soviet period but I personally never saw it.
    And the wild regrets, and the bloody sweats
    None knew so well as I,
    For he who lives more lives than one
    More deaths than one must die...