Thread: Essay Help

Exclamation Essay Help

Im writing an essay for my grade 10 enligh AP Class about how Huckleberry Finn did not change/mature at the end of the book. I have two arguments, one he still did not want to become civilized and two he was all too willing to follow Tom Sawyers lead at the end of the book. Im completely stumped for a third argument. HELP PLEASEEE!!!!!
    Last edited by sarah741; 04-09-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Been ages since Ive read the book so am fuzzy but generally speaking away to find the answer would be to define maturity as you use it then look at huck at the begining and huck at the end take a nice blank pice of paper and draw down the middle and put how he was in the begining how he Vs how he was in the end and try and back it up. Always worked for me.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

That is a hard topic...
    I kind of suck at analysis too, but I'll try and help you out.
    This may be stretching it a little, but maybe that throughout the book, Huck continues to lie. It began with the man on the steamboat (I believe) and from then, they continued. He lies to everyone he meets, unaware of the consequences. Even after the part with three sisters and their dead father, Huck isn't fully aware of the damages that lying can cause. So, he lies to the Phelps and everyone else, showing his immaturity.
    Also, he still feels the need to escape. he cannot accept his life as it is. He constantly wants to get away and cannot see himself settling down and starting a "normal" life. Even at the end, he is uncontent (incontent?) with the idea of staying in one place.

Try GradeSaver.com. That site has a lot of neat ideas.

Actually I think Huck DOES mature a lot. He chooses "to go to hell" rather than turn in Jim s a runaway slave. It is Tom Sawyer who has not matured--he is still stuck in the land of adventure books, and he toys with Jim like a plaything instead of a person when he does all the theatrics of "saving" him, all the while knowing he is already free.

i agree with Coco that Huck did mature, but if u absolutly have to get another example i would say that he still lies and streches the truth. He hasn't learned that telling the truth is better than telling a lie.

I think Huck really did mature, towards the end of the book, altho he still did lie continously and was arrogant he choose to do what was right for Jim, which in the end was saving him even if he didn't know he was doing it.

I'd have to disagree with you because Huck did mature, maybe not in ways seen right now but. for example Huck put his life in danger to keep Jim safe and from going back into slavery.

You could also consider the fact that although Huck develops a significant relationship with Jim, his general view of race does not seem to change. He is still capable of making comments that are stunningly racist, such as his response to the question "anybody hurt?" with "No'm. Killed a n***" This also fits with the fact that he never comes to believe that wanting Jim to be free is morally right; he decides to do this against the protests of his conscience.